[[caption-width-right:350:Sometimes, words are not needed]]
'''The Fight for Asgard''' is a storyline of ComicBook/TheMightyThor, written by Creator/WaltSimonson. It is the (in)famous storyline where Thor gets turned into a Frog. Yes, exactly as it sounds.
Surtur was sent back to Muspelheim at the end of ComicBook/TheSurturSaga, and Odin fell to the abyss with him. Now in the aftermath of the war Odin is dead, Asgard is destroyed, the Bifrost has been destroyed, and the Asgardian troops are trapped in Earth. Loki thinks that this is the best moment to seek the government of Asgard, and gave a love potion to Lorelei to seduce Thor and make him work for him. However, Loki falls in love with Loki himself, which dooms the plan. Still, Thor had slapped Sif while being enchanted, which distanced her from him. The combined hammers of Thor (in Asgard) and Beta Ray Bill (in Earth) manage to open a portal big enough for the troops.
After revealing the death of Odin to the troops, Thor called them to arms once more: several human souls have been trapped in Hel by the machinations of Malekith, and must be freed. They made the dangerous journey to Hel, and forced Hela to surrender the souls. When they were about to leave, the Executioner stayed in front of the bridge, stopping Hela's dead soldiers with machine guns (obtained during the last visit of the Asgardians to Earth), allowing the others to escape.
Thor made then a brief visit to Earth, to release the souls. He was then attacked by Kurse, one of the elves that fought with him in the previous storyline, turned into a nigh-allpowerful being the Beyonder. Thor and Beta Ray Bill were unable to stop him, but during the fight he realized that his true killer had not been Thor, but Malekith; and redirected his hatred to him, completely forgetting about Thor. Thor fooled the Beyonder to send Kurse to Hel, and Hela sent him out of it. And then the fun part...
Beta Ray Bill left to Asgard, with Thor following soon, but then Loki (who was tapping on the power of Surtur's sword) enchanted a random woman to go and kiss Thor, which turned him into a frog. Thor ended in Central Park, and helped the frogs in a war against the rats. He eventually returned to the place where his hammer was still laying, and got an idea: the enchantment that says that "Whoever holds this hammer, if he's worthy, shall posess the power of Thor". Managing to raise it a bit from the ground and touching the ground with the base, he turned from a frog into... an anthropomorphic frog with the costume and power of Thor. He headed to Asgard immediately, and kidnapped Loki during the Assembly that was selecting the new emperor. The sword was finally destroyed during the fight, which allowed Thor to return to normal. Thor proposed then to the Asgardians to select Balder as the new emperor, which was accepted.
Balder was crowned emperor, but the ceremony was interrupted by Kurse, who killed him. The crowned Balder was actually Malekith in disguise. The real Balder was found a short time later.
!!''The Fight for Asgard'' contains examples of:
%% PLEASE read ExampleIndentationInTropeLists
* BreatherEpisode: After the epic [[ComicBook/TheSurturSaga Surtur Saga]], [[LighterAndSofter we get Thor as a frog in Central Park.]]
* ISurrenderSuckers: Hela surrendered, but expected to manipulate the Executioner into some situation that may allow her to consider the surrendering null.
* SomethingCompletelyDifferent: Walt Simonson was in vacation during one of the issues. So, something else had to make a single issue to fill the space, and trying to avoid ruining Simonson's plots. As a result, Asgard and Thor himself were ignored: the story focused in Hercules instead. Someone asked him if he was stronger than Thor, and he told the last time they had fought. [[UnreliableNarrator You shouldn't take him seriously]]...
* ThisIsUnforgivable: The Enchantress holds no love for Odin, and did not miss him; but she had sworn to her sister Lorelei that she would pay for not joining the fight against Surtur. She influenced things so that she fell in love with Loki.
* YouShallNotPass: The Executioner's DyingMomentOfAwesome