A comic by MarvelComics that began in December 1972, part of the growing wave of Marvel titles featuring black or female heroes, such as ''LukeCageHeroForHire'' and ''ComicBook/TheCat''.
The comic focused on the titular She-Devil, a woman named Shanna O'Hara, who grew up as a child in Africa. When she was younger, a pet leopard belonging to her mother had gone amok; in his haste to shoot it, her father accidentally shot and killed her mother instead. Moving to America, she became a veterinarian and ecologist specialising in big cats, until an event where a maniac with a high-powered sniper rifle sneaked into the zoo one night and shot all of the big cats in the African exhibit. The sole survivor, a female leopard whom Shanna had raised from a cub, was then shot by a panicking police officer, further disgusting Shanna with guns, men and human society. Given an opportunity to be part of a project run by the zoo aiming to return zoo-born leopards to the wild in the African Dahomey Reserve, Shanna eagerly joined, personally caring for the twin cubs, offspring of her own murdered pet, that had somehow survived the massacre.
Using her natural affinity for the animals of the African wilderness, and her Olympics-qualified skills in karate and physical training, Shanna became a proud warrior woman, determined to protect the wilderness from those who would abuse it.
* TheBeastMaster: Shanna was quite capable of handling herself in a fight, but the fact that she was always followed by the fierce Ina and Biri, a leopard and a "black panther" (melanchromatic leopard), further aided her.
* DoesNotLikeGuns: Shanna despised guns.
* DoesNotLikeShoes: Shanna seems to enjoy running barefoot through the jungle.
* FieryRedhead: Shanna herself.
* JunglePrincess: Shanna was one of the earliest Jungle Princess characters, if not the earliest, to come out of MarvelComics -- though there is a definite resemblance to ComicBook/SheenaQueenOfTheJungle.