A horror GraphicNovel published by ImageComics and written by Creator/ScottSnyder and Scott Tuft, and illustrated by Attila Futaki.
''Severed'' tells the story of Jack Garron, a twelve-year old boy in 1916 who leaves his adopted mother in search of his biological father, a wandering fiddler. Jack soon meets another vagrant named Sam and a strange man who offers to help him reach his dad. Little does he know that the man is actually a monster who feeds on children...
The comic is noted for being very disturbing and atmospheric. Recommended for any horror fan looking for a good scare.
!!This comic features examples of:
* BatmanGambit: Fisher pulled one off. [[spoiler: He pretended to be Jack's father writing to him in order to get Jack to come find him]]
* BodyHorror: "Fisher" basically breathes this trope. For one, he wears fake teeth that hide his true, razor sharp fangs. For another, he [[spoiler: hangs Jack up on a hook and cuts off his arm to eat it]]
* ChekhovsGun: The bear trap that Fisher shows Jack and Sam. [[spoiler: Jack uses it to slow Fisher down after the latter reveals his true colors]]
* ChekhovsGunman: Jack's adopted mother
* DeadAllAlong: [[spoiler: Jack's father]]
* DiabolusExNihilo: "Fisher" has no backstory. His real name (if he even has one) is unknown. No explanation for his seeming immortality. Exactly who or what he is is a complete mystery.
* EvilMentor: Fisher to Jack
* GenderReveal: [[spoiler: Sam]]
* GeneHunting: Jack learning that he was left on his "mother's" doorstep as a child is what kicks off the plot, as he searches for his biological father.
* GoryDiscretionShot: the panels progressively zoom outward when [[spoiler: Fisher murders and devours Sam]] so the reader never actually sees it happen.
* HumanoidAbomination: "Fisher." An unknown salesman whose real name is unknown, eats children so he [[spoiler: can feed on their dreams]], is immortal and has razor sharp teeth. It is clear that whatever he is, he is only a man when it comes to appearance.
* IdiotBall: Sam goes into one of the most ridiculously obvious traps ever despite having been established as far too smart and suspicious to fall for it. For that matter, while Jack is no genius, the leaps in logic her undertakes to continue trusting Fisher are absolutely ''insane.''
* ImAHumanitarian: The main antagonist of the story cannibalizes children [[spoiler: so he can feed on their dreams]]
* ReallySevenHundredYearsOld: Fisher looks like he's in his 50's to 60's, but his dialogue indicates that he is much older than that. [[spoiler: And 40 years later, he hasn't aged a day]]
* SweetPollyOliver: [[spoiler: Samantha]] dresses like a boy because life on the road is safer for men.