[[caption-width-right:200:"We have two catch-22 situations simultaneously. Is there even a name for that?"]]
The foul-mouthed Vice President of the United States who longs for more power. Played by Julia Louis-Dreyfus.
* [[spoiler: ConvenientMiscarriage]]
* HypocriticalHumor: See ItsAllAboutMe.
* InformedAbility: Supposedly a politician of some repute, but with a habit of gaffes, yet on the show she appears to be clueless, surrounding herself with an even more clueless staff, and being unable to effectively engage in the kind of small talk with voters that real politicians do all the time.
* ItsAllAboutMe: She tries to deny it, but it's true.
* KickedUpstairs: TruthInTelevision, the Vice Presidential position is notorious for being a graveyard for political influence, with some exceptions - AlGore, GeorgeHWBush and RichardNixon, for example. Selina is apparently not one of them.
--> '''Selina''': What am I missing these days?
--> '''Senator Hallows''': Power.
* [[spoiler: LawOfInverseFertility]]
* NoCelebritiesWereHarmed: A female senator who ran a campaign to be President before being shunted into an administration job by the victorious nominee? HillaryRodhamClinton. A Vice-President from a mid-Atlantic state with a habit of unfortunate gaffes? JoeBiden.
* TheUnfavourite: To the administration.
[[caption-width-right:200:"I am in a room with three people and a fuckload of quiche".]]
The long-suffering Vice Presidential Chief of Staff. Played by Anna Chlumsky.
* BelligerentSexualTension: With Dan.
* WorkingWithTheEx: She and Dan dated for a week. She apparently has no fond memories of it.
[[caption-width-right:200:"Every single thing you say to me is emasculating. Do you realize that?"]]
The fiercely loyal personal assistant to the Vice President. Played by Tony Hale.
* BeleagueredAssistant: Not that he minds.
* DeadpanSnarker: A notable exception.
* EstablishingCharacterMoment: Burns his hands holding VP Meyer's hot coffee cup while she has an idle conversation. He'll go on to do similar things in later episodes.
* HypercompetentSidekick: Seems to know everything about everyone in the Washington DC political scene, including his boss. This is very useful to Selina. Has pretty much no knowledge of policy, but that's not his job.
* ITakeOffenseToThatLastOne: While playing devil's advocate, Dan predicts that Selina's policy will destroy America, capping it off by saying that she'll become so infamous that no one will ever name their child Selina again. After a stunned moment of silence, Gary says, "My God... no more Selinas?" He's immediately shushed.
* TakingTheBullet: Well, it's actually a [[ItMakesSenseInContext sneeze bullet.]]
* UndyingLoyalty: To the Veep. [[spoiler: He even breaks up with her boyfriend!]]
* WellDoneSonGuy: His dad has little respect for him and his job.
[[caption-width-right:200:"So you my friend, have your cock out at a funeral".]]
The Director of Communications for the Vice President. Has a fake dog he uses to get out of work, which his co-workers[[note]][[EverybodyKnewAlready And half of the District]][[/note]] call a Bullshitzu. Played by Matt Walsh.
* BrickJoke: His Bullshitzu.
* HoistByHisOwnPetard: He gets Selina to cry in an interview with the hope of making her look sympathetic. The GenreSavvy Journalist figures this out quickly.
* ITakeOffenseToThatLastOne: When listing the bad things that could possibly happen and overshadow the [[ItMakesSenseInContext plastic untensil incident]], he hypothetically suggests that Creator/TomHanks might die. Everyone is horrified by this.
** In another example, after Selina tears into him for incompetence, he only attempts to rebuff the last part:
---> '''Selina''': Remind me never to get trapped in a burning building with you, Mike.
---> '''Mike''': I'm very good in a fire.
* InformedAbility: He's not very good at his job, and is quickly overshadowed by Dan. [[LampshadeHanging Lampshaded]].
* NinjaPirateZombieRobot: Described by Anthony, one of the owners of [[InsistentTerminology frozen yoghurt]] shop as a "gay Irish fireman."
* OnceAnEpisode: Someone will remind him he has a fake dog.
* RunningGag: His fake dog.
* WoundedGazelleGambit: A variant. He gets Selina to cry on camera with the hope of playing up her sympathetic traits. Backfires: see HoistByHisOwnPetard.
[[caption-width-right:200:"I'm from the White House, and what the fuck are you doing?"]]
The White House Liason to the Vice President's office, and a notorious(ly bad) womanizer. Played by Timothy Simons.
* BrickJoke: His obsession with getting laid by Eights.
* ButtMonkey: He is hated by pretty much everyone in the Vice President's office. And the Administration. And the District. And possibly in the world.
* CasanovaWannabe: Hits on Amy, Sue and pretty much everyone girl he comes into contact with. Always rebuffed.
* FunWithAcronyms: Does this incessantly. Calls the President POTUS ("Poh-tuss"), the Veep VPOTUS ("Vee-poh-tuss"), the First Dog of the United States FDOTUS ("F-doh-tus") and makes them up pretty much on the fly, such as VPVP ("Vice Presidential Visual Presence"). This annoys everybody.
* MemeticMolester: In universe, he is described as having the face of a rapist.
--> '''Jonah''': May I remind you this rapist face gets eights? Consensually, I might add.
* MeaningfulName: Whether or not this was intentional...his name is Jonah and he's [[Literature/TheBible supremely unlucky]].
* OnceAnEpisode: He will point out he works at the White House. And hit on Amy. And Sue. And everyone. See the character quote.
* RunningGag: Hey, did you know he works at the White House?
* SmallNameBigEgo: Vastly overstates the importance of his position.
* TheReasonYouSuckSpeech: Dan tears into him when he finds out Jonah's position is so unimportant he cannot be used for information.
[[caption-width-right:200:"Yeah, well, next time pack an espresso in your big fucking bitch bag".]]
The former Director of Communications for Senator Hallows, until he sabotages her in an attempt to curry favour with Selina. This gets him a job under Mike as Deputy Director of Communications for Selina. Probably the most competent of the Veep staff. Played by Reid Scott.
* BelligerentSexualTension: With Amy.
--> '''Gary''': Every single thing you say to me is emasculating. Do you realize that?
--> '''Dan''': Yes.
* ChronicBackstabbingDisorder: He ''will'' sell out whoever he works for if he thinks it can further his career, but then this is par for the course in politics. He's just the one in Selina's staff who displays it the most.
* HypercompetentSidekick: [[AvertedTrope Averted]]. Though clearly thinking himself as a cut above the rest, Dan's arrogance and inability to think things through causes his advice to not only be useless not once or twice, but ''every single time'', frequently backfiring into his and/or Selina's face.
** Twice in season two he is told directly to his face that he is not nearly as smart as he thinks he is. Once by Kent and once by oil lobbyest Sidney Purcell.
*** Also by Selina herself, as seen in "Hostages", where Dan's attempts to sidle up to her backfire, as the VP was in the middle of reacting to the news of a marine losing his leg. He's put in his place so severely that even GARY gloats to him about it.
--->'''Gary''': [[IronicEcho End of an era]].
* ManipulativeBastard: A highly skilled political jockey who can quickly defuse complex problems for Selina, while also making things better for himself. Or so he thinks.
* RealityEnsues: No matter how skilled you are, sneaking in a bill opposed by the President and much of Congress will cause a shitstorm. [[spoiler: And result in the Veep having to veto the bill she spent ages working on. He is still dealing with the fallout as of the Season One final, and possibly into Season Two.]]
* TheReasonYouSuckSpeech: Gives a devastating one to Jonah.
* YouHaveOutlivedYourUsefulness: A rare [[InvertedTrope inversion]] - Dan sells out his boss, Senator Hallows, to dig Selina out of a scandal. In the process he gets a job on the Veep's staff. It's clear from earlier dialogue he sees the Senator as merely a stepping stone on his career.
* WorkingWithTheEx: Amy does not have a high opinion of him. Well, not his competence, but his personality.
[[caption-width-right:200:"If I were writing a memoir, which I'm not, but if I were, whoo, this would be a big moment."]]
The Personal Assistant to the Vice President. Played by Sufe Bradshaw.
* AdvertisedExtra: Appears mostly in background scenes, either with her RunningGag or a snark, despite being listed on the credits. She gets more screen time and a more fully-rounded character starting Season 2.
* BeleagueredAssistant: A possible aversion, although we never see.
* [[BluntYes Blunt No]]: See RunningGag.
* [[MaleGaze Female Gaze]]: Mike jokingly accuses Sue of undressing him with her eyes.
--> '''Sue''': I'm adding more clothes, Mike.
* NotSoStoic: Usually Sue is the calm and collected member of Selina's staff, but she breaks under the pressure of a Congressional committee.
--> '''Selina''': Sue, did the President call?
--> '''Sue''': No.
* SuspiciouslySpecificDenial: See the character quote.
* TokenMinority: She seems to be the only black person on Selina's staff. Or the administration.