Character trope page for ''ThePiratesOfDarkWater''. Beware spoilers, ye swabs!
[[folder: The Wraith's Crew]]
* ChronicHeroSyndrome: The first episode established how impractically heroic Ren can be: when a friendly dragon orders him to run as he holds off Bloth's crew, Ren can't resist looking back and see the dragon is being overwhelmed. Despite the obvious danger, and the fact that the dragon told him to flee in the first place, Ren charges right back into the fray to try to save the dragon.
* GoodIsDumb: Mostly averted, but Ren is only seventeen and sometimes gets taken for a fool by crafty one-off villains who play on his kindness.
* HiddenBackupPrince: Prince Ren was raised by a lighthouse keeper unaware of his true heritage until the first episode. Hiding him was proven a wise move, considering [[BigBad Bloth]] had killed Ren's father's other heirs.
* ActionGirl: Even after she gets her ecomancer abilities, she's still consistently competent and remarkably tough.
* CloserToEarth: Leaving out the ecomancer powers, Tula is the only member of the crew who doesn't manage to screw up TheQuest through some personal failing (Ren's innocence, Ioz' greed, Niddler's gluttony)
* NewPowersAsThePlotDemands: Tula's ecomancer powers facilitated a great many plots. About the only thing she couldn't do was kill dark water.
* DistressedDude: SO many times!
* HeManWomanHater: Starts out as this, but gradually mellows throughout the series.
* MrFanservice: Ioz flashes the most skin out of the whole cast.
* MrViceGuy: "I only signed up for this noble adventure [[OnlyInItForTheMoney for the treasure]]!"
* TokenEvilTeammate: Used to work for Bloth, is ''obsessed'' with treasure, and often counsels the most ruthless measures in the series.
** Or TheLancer, in sharp contrast to Ren's [[TheHero Hero]].
* ActionPet: It takes him a while, but he gets there!
* TookALevelInBadass: It's subtle, but by the time the series ended, Niddler had gotten a lot less concerned for his own skin, and was willing to do things like use himself as dagron bait to distract Konk from the crew.
* TrademarkFavoriteFood: Those jitatin minga melons.
[[folder: The Maelstrom's Crew]]
* BadBoss: Just count how many times he has Konk thrown to the Constrictus.
* BigBad: At least he likes to think so...
* Gonk: Pallid gray-white skin. [[NoBrows No eyebrows]]. Disproportionately large, snaggle-toothed mouth with blue lips. Blue claws for fingernails.
* GoodScarsEvilScars: A ruined eye and a torn ear.
* LargeHam: TORMENT MY EYES!
* LargeAndInCharge: Canonically seven and a half feet tall and over a quarter ton; rules his crew with an iron fist.
* TheDragon: He's one of the cooler heads on the Maelstrom's crew and often advises Bloth, although the latter seems like he'd be happy to [[DevourTheDragon replace him]] of a better option came along.
* LeanAndMean: He's freakishly gaunt and spidery-looking.
* FedToTheBeast: Thrown to the Constrictus by Bloth numerous times. It's how he got his PiratePegleg.
** TooSpicyForYogSothoth: ...although it didn't ever manage to eat him. He was its only victim to ever escape (before Ren came along), perhaps because:
---> '''Mantus''': Once the beast had a taste of Konk, why would he want another bite?
* [[MyFriendsAndZoidberg My Friends... and Zoidberg]]: Is the butt of one of these remarks in the episode Andorus.
---> '''Bloth''': You've picked the wrong fight, girl! I have my top swordsmen with me.
---> '''Konk''': Thank you, Master!
---> '''Bloth''': And Konk, too.
---> '''Konk''': Aww.
[[folder: The Dark Dweller and Thralls]]
!!The Dark Dweller
[[folder: Other/One-Shot Characters]]