%% Zero context examples aren't allowed on the wiki. Please add context before uncommenting them.
!!Tracy Samantha Lord
->''[[TheReasonYouSuckSpeech "You have a good mind, a pretty face, a disciplined body that does what you tell it to. You have everything it takes to make a lovely woman except the one essential: an understanding heart.]] [[IceQueen And without that you might just as well be made of bronze."]]''
* AffectionateNickname: Dexter generally addresses her as "Red".
%%* BreakTheHaughty: The whole point of the movie is to do this to her.
%%* CantHoldHerLiquor: As seen on the night of the party, and also in Dexter's story about the champagne.
%%* CoolBigSis: to Dinah.
* FieryRedhead: While you technically can't tell (film is in black and white), she is refered to as a redhead by her mother and Dexter, who calls her Red for said reason.
* GaussianGirl: She is usually depicted through a much hazier lens than the male characters, as was typical to the era.
* InformedFlaw: Her intolerance.
* RichBitch: Though it's somewhat toned and she does improve over time.
* [[WellDoneSonGuy Well Done Daughter Girl]]: Turns out to be one, wishing to win the approval of her father. It's part of her BreakTheHaughty process.
!!C. K. Dexter Haven
->''"I thought all writers drank to excess and beat their wives. You know at one time I think I secretly wanted to be a writer."''
* TheAlcoholic: Used to have a drinking problem. Is now firmly on the wagon.
* CompositeCharacter: Of himself and Tracy's brother Sandy.
%%* DeadpanSnarker: Frequently.
* InformedFlaw: His drunkenness.
* JerkassFacade: Can seem pretty mean in his behaviour towards Tracy, but really does care about her.
* PowerTrio: Dexter is the [[TheKirk ego]].
* RichSuitorPoorSuitor: One of the rich ones.
* TheTeetotaler: Of the recovering [[TheAlcoholic alcoholic]] variety.
!!Macaulay ("Mike") Connor
->'''Mike:''' ''Say, what do you mean, 'snob'?''
->'''Tracy:''' ''You're the worst kind there is, an intellectual snob. You made up your mind awfully young, it seems to me.''
->'''Mike:''' ''Well thirty's about time to make up your mind. And I'm nothing of the sort, not Mr. Connor.''
* FishOutOfWater: Upon his arrival at the Lord residence, he looks extremely awed by his posh surroundings, though he tries to hide it. Throughout the movie, he frequently picks up items just to goggle at their luxuriousness.
* InformedFlaw: His cynicism.
* JerkassFacade: As Tracy says, he talks "big and tough" to protect his sensitive, poetic side.
* PowerTrio: Mike is the [[TheMcCoy id]].
* RichSuitorPoorSuitor: The poor one.
* ThirdOptionLoveInterest: In contrast to Tracy's ex-husband and fiancé.
!!Elizabeth ("Liz") Imbrie
->''"I can't afford to hate anyone; I'm only a photographer."''
%%* DeadpanSnarker: Emphasis on deadpan.
%%* FishOutOfWater: At the Lord residence.
* GirlFriday: To Mike. She's always handy to take a photo for his article or type up his exposé of their boss.
* HotScoop: She's a photographer for a magazine.
* NiceHat: All female characters get one, but she gets several.
->''"George. Splendid chap, George. Very high morals. Very broad shoulders."''
* BitchInSheepsClothing: Reveals a mean side when he catches Tracy in another man's arms.
* DisposableFiance: It's pretty obvious from the beginning of the movie that Tracy ''won't'' end up with him.
* PowerTrio: George is the [[TheSpock superego]].
* RichSuitorPoorSuitor: He is one of the wealthier suitors.
* SelfMadeMan: Started out as a coal miner and worked his way up to general manager.
!! Diana (''Dinah'') Lord
->''"I can tell there is something in the air because I'm being taken away."''
* LittleMissBadass: she manipulates Uncle Willy, Tracy and her mother like it ain't no thing.
* LittleMissSnarker: So many quips from such a small girl.