%% ZeroContextExample entries are not allowed on wiki pages. All such entries have been commented out. Add context to the entries before uncommenting them.
[[caption-width-right:350:''"Eight astronauts strapped to the back of a bomb. My bomb. Welcome to the Icarus Two."'']]
->'''Played By:''' Creator/CillianMurphy
* AloneWithThePsycho: When he discovers that Pinbacker is alive (and thoroughly insane). He struggles against Pinbacker later in the film.
* DavidVersusGoliath: Against Pinbacker.
* GeekPhysiques: He's quite toned and attractive for a scientist.
* HeroicSacrifice: He delivers the Ikarus 2's payload, restarts the sun, and saves humanity at the cost of his life.
[[caption-width-right:350:''"There is nothing, literally nothing, more important than completing our mission. End of story!"'']]
->'''Played By:''' Creator/ChrisEvans
* HeroicSacrifice: Dies after repeatedly immersing himself in freezing liquid to fix the ship.
* JerkassHasAPoint: Yes, he's curt and rude, but he's not wrong. The fate of humanity rests on their shoulders.
* JerkWithAHeartOfGold: He's a bit of a jerkass for putting the mission first, but he does care about his team.
* KnightTemplar: Unusually, a completely justified example.
[[caption-width-right:350:''"Only dream I ever have…is it the surface of the sun? Every time I shut my eyes…it's always the same."'']]
->'''Played By:''' Rose Byrne
* TheHeart: She values human life and is reluctant to kill Trey to conserve the ship's oxygen.
* StupidGood: She refuses to kill Trey (who's already suicidal) to save enough oxygen so the Icarus crew can complete the mission and save the human race because she considers it wrong.
* TookALevelInBadass: She and Capa take on a rampaging Pinbacker.
->'''Played By:''' MichelleYeoh
* FriendToAllLivingThings: She lovingly maintains the plants in the oxygen garden. When a fire devastates the garden, she's horrified.
[[caption-width-right:350:''"…total light envelops you. It becomes you. It's very strange...[[MoodWhiplash I recommend it.]]"'']]
->'''Played By:''' Cliff Curtis
* NotSoDifferent: From Pinbacker. Both are enamored with intense sunlight.
* SanitySlippage: At the start of the film, he's enamored with the sun and spends time basking in sunlight. As the movie progresses, his fixation on the sun leads him to spend more time bathing in sunlight, so much so that his face is badly sunburned.
* TheShrink: He serves as a mental health professional for the Ikarus 2 crew.
* SpaceMadness: Albeit a mild version.
->'''Played By:''' Troy Garity
->'''Played By:''' Hiroyuki Sanada
* FaceDeathWithDignity: [[spoiler: He dies while conducting emergency repairs outside the ship. When he realizes that he cannot return to the interior in time, he accepts his death calmly.]]
* AFatherToHisMen: He's a fair and focus leader to the Ikarus 2 crew.
* HeroicSacrifice: [[spoiler:He dies outside the ship while conducting emergency repairs.]]
->'''Played By:''' Benedict Wong
* AsianAndNerdy: He's of Asian ancestry, and knowledgeable enough about science to navigate the Ikarus 2.
* DespairEventHorizon: After he unwittingly jeopardizes the mission, Trey succumbs to depression and is put on suicide watch.
* DrivenToSuicide: [[spoiler:His crewmates find him in the medical ward with his wrists cut. While his death appears to be a suicide, WordOfGod states that Pinbacker did it.]]
* ItsAllMyFault: When he resets Ikarus 2's new course, he forgets to conduct calculations for the shields, which leaves the ship vulnerable to the sun's intense heat and jeopardizes the mission. He's horrified when he realizes his mistake.
* TeenGenius: In his backstory.
[[caption-width-right:350:''"For seven years I spoke with God. He told me to take us all to Heaven."'']]
->'''Played By:''' MarkStrong
* AxCrazy: The Pinbacker that the Ikarus 2 crew encounters is delusional and murderous.
* BaldOfEvil: Likely burned off, as the man has been exposed to too much sunlight due to his madness.
* BigBad: Sabotaged his mission, sabotaging the second Icarus as well.
* BodyHorror: Because of his prolonged exposure to sunlight, he's covered in third degree burns. Also, during his fight with Capa and Cassie at the end of the film, Cassie grabs his arm, and his skin and flesh slough off in her hand.
-->'''Capa:''' My God. Pinbacker.
-->'''Pinbacker:''' Not your God. Mine!
* EvilSoundsDeep: Baritone.
* TheFatalist: After his sanity slippage, he concludes that efforts to save humanity are futile.
-->'''Pinbacker:''' All our science, all our hopes, our dreams, are foolish! In the face of this, we are dust, nothing more. Unto this dust, we return. When he chooses for us to die, it is not our place to challenge God.
* FullFrontalAssault: He doesn't wear clothing, showing off his burns and wounds.
* TheFundamentalist: Having lost his mind, Pinbacker believes that he can talk to God and that he's carrying out God's will by sabotaging efforts to restart the sun.
* GenreShift: He represents the movie's shift from hard-ish Sci-Fi with NoAntagonist to a borderline slasher flick.
* ImplacableMan: He's convinced that God wants humanity to die so that they can ascend to heaven. He meets any attempt to thwart this with violence, and he cannot be reasoned with or cowed.
* MadeOfIron: There's no reason he's pretty much completely indestructible. He just is. Despite already being covered in third-degree burns.
* NietzscheWannabe: In his lunacy, he concludes that humanity's efforts to restart the sun are in vain, and that humans are inconsequential "dust" before God.
* NotQuiteDead: Pinbacker was believed to have died along with the crew of the Ikarus 1. However, he's very much alive and determined to thwart the Ikarus 2 mission.
* ReligiousBruiser: He's a formidable opponent who believes that he's carrying out the will of God.
* SanitySlippage: Pinbacker lost his sanity while leading the crew of the Ikarus 1.
* SatanicArchetype: He acts as an adversary to humanity on God's behalf (or so he believes in his madness), bringing to mind Satan's traditional role in the Hebrew Bible as the Adversary. When Capa meets him face-to-face, he's bathed in light, evoking Lucifer as an angel of light.
* SpaceMadness: During Ikarus 1's journey, he went insane, presumably from the stresses of the mission.
* SpannerInTheWorks: After he goes insane, he sabotages the Ikarus 1 mission and creates enormous problems for the Ikarus 2 mission.