%% ZeroContextExample entries are not allowed on wiki pages. All such entries have been commented out. Add context to the entries before uncommenting them.
[[caption-width-right:350:''"Eight astronauts strapped to the back of a bomb. My bomb. Welcome to the Icarus Two."'']]
->'''Played By:''' Creator/CillianMurphy
* AloneWithThePsycho: When he discovers that Pinbacker is alive (and thoroughly insane). He struggles against Pinbacker later in the film.
* BadassBookworm: He is very smart and manages to last longer than any of the other characters, even surviving [[spoiler: several encounters with Pinbacker.]]
* DavidVersusGoliath: Against Pinbacker.
* DeadpanSnarker: He has his moments.
* GeekPhysiques: He's quite toned and attractive for a scientist.
* HeroicSacrifice: [[spoiler: He delivers the Icarus 2's payload, restarts the sun, and saves humanity at the cost of his life]].
* HotScientist: Come on, it's Cillian Murphy.
* NotSoStoic: Despite being one of the most calm and composed survivors, he starts to snap a little as shit hits the fan.
* ScienceHero: Is a scientist and the protagonist of the film.
* SmartPeoplePlayChess: Displaying his intelligence.
* TookALevelInBadass: By the end of the film he's gone up against Pinbacker and saved all of humanity.
[[caption-width-right:350:''"There is nothing, literally nothing, more important than completing our mission. End of story!"'']]
->'''Played By:''' Creator/ChrisEvans
* BadassBeard: Has a small beard and is one of the most badass members of the crew.
* BadassBookworm: With more emphasis on the badass, but he's still very smart.
* BaldOfAwesome: After his haircut.
* BeardOfSorrow: Isn't the most well-adjusted.
* TheBigGuy: The most physically imposing of the team.
* CassandraTruth: If everyone had just listened to him at the beginning about not taking the detour, none of the bad events in the film would have happened.
* CruelAndUnusualDeath: [[spoiler: Repeatedly immersing yourself in freezing liquid is bad enough. Getting your leg pinned so you can't climb all the way out? Absolutely horrifying.]]
* DeadpanSnarker: He kind of has to be as the blunt OnlySaneMan.
* DecoyProtagonist: While he has all the characteristics of the traditional protagonist it becomes clear that the real main character is Capa [[spoiler: and he ends up dying just before the climax.]]
* HeroicSacrifice: [[spoiler: Dies after repeatedly immersing himself in freezing liquid to fix the ship]].
* HotBlooded: He's quick to anger.
* ImportantHaircut: Cuts his hair at the beginning of the film.
* JerkassHasAPoint: Yes, he's curt and rude, but he's not wrong. The fate of humanity rests on their shoulders.
* JerkWithAHeartOfGold: He's a bit of a jerkass for putting the mission first, but he does care about his team.
* KnightTemplar: Unusually, a completely justified example.
* OnlySaneMan: While he's blunt his solutions to problems are usually the most logical; problem is, most of the time the crew goes against him.
[[caption-width-right:350:''"Only dream I ever have…is it the surface of the sun? Every time I shut my eyes…it's always the same."'']]
->'''Played By:''' Creator/RoseByrne
* BreakTheCutie: Over the course of the film.
* TheConscience: Is the only member of the crew who doesn't agree with the decision to kill Trey.
* DeadpanSnarker: Mildly.
* FamousLastWords: [[spoiler: "Finish it".]]
* TheHeart: She values human life and is reluctant to kill Trey to conserve the ship's oxygen.
* KillTheCutie: [[spoiler: Is mortally wounded during the final fight with Pinbacker.]]
* PerpetualFrowner: She rarely smiles.
* StupidGood: She refuses to vote for killing Trey (who's already suicidal) to save enough oxygen so the Icarus crew can complete the mission and save the human race because she considers it wrong.
* TookALevelInBadass: She and Capa take on a rampaging Pinbacker.
->'''Played By:''' Creator/MichelleYeoh
* DeadpanSnarker: Like many of her crewmates.
* FriendToAllLivingThings: She lovingly maintains the plants in the oxygen garden. When a fire devastates the garden, she's horrified.
* HeroicBSOD: When the oxygen garden is destroyed.
* InTheBack: [[spoiler: Pinbacker knifes her in the back with a scalpel.]]
* TeamMom: For the crew.
[[caption-width-right:350:''"…total light envelops you. It becomes you. It's very strange...[[MoodWhiplash I recommend it.]]"'']]
->'''Played By:''' Cliff Curtis
* BaldOfAwesome: Is bald and very brave.
* DrivenToSuicide: [[spoiler: Volunteers to stay behind so the others have a chance of escaping Icarus I, then commits suicide by overexposure to the sun.]]
* HeroicSacrifice [[spoiler: Stays behind on ''Icarus I'' (which has separated from the other ship) to make sure that Capa, Mace, and Harvey get back safely. After doing this he commits suicide.]]
* FaceDeathWithDignity: [[spoiler: Faces his imminent demise with no fear.]]
* NotSoDifferent: From Pinbacker. Both are enamored with intense sunlight.
* OpaqueLenses: What he wears.
* SanitySlippage: At the start of the film, he's enamored with the sun and spends time basking in sunlight. As the movie progresses, his fixation on the sun leads him to spend more time bathing in sunlight, so much so that his face is badly sunburned.
* TheShrink: He serves as a mental health professional for the Icarus 2 crew.
* SpaceMadness: Albeit a mild version.
->'''Played By:''' Troy Garity
* AssholeVictim: [[spoiler: It's hard to feel sorry for such a cowardly prick.]]
* ButtMonkey: Doesn't get much respect from his men, though this is justified.
* DirtyCoward: Despite being the captain, he only cares about self-preservation and refuses to stay behind on ''Icarus I'' even though the mission is much more likely to fail without Capa.
* ItsAllAboutMe: Harvey only cares about himself, and he tries to act like he's the victim when his crew get justifiably disgusted by his behavior.
* LiterallyShatteredLives: [[spoiler: Gets frozen in space after missing the airlock, and his corpse is disintegrated.]]
* ThereIsNoKillLikeOverkill: [[spoiler: Harvey misses the hole then freezes out there in seconds, his frozen corpse hitting an antenna, thus breaking his arm before flying outside the shield, reduced to dust in seconds by the Sun]].
* YouAreInCommandNow: Previously the second in command, he becomes captain after [[spoiler: Kaneda dies.]]
->'''Played By:''' Creator/HiroyukiSanada
* BadassBeard: Is bearded and a strong leader.
* FaceDeathWithDignity: [[spoiler: He dies while conducting emergency repairs outside the ship. When he realizes that he cannot complete the necessary repairs and still return to the interior in time, he chooses to stay, and when the time comes, he accepts his death calmly.]]
* AFatherToHisMen: The fair and focused leader of the Icarus 2 crew.
* TheGoodCaptain: His crew is his first priority.
* HeroicSacrifice: [[spoiler:He dies outside the ship while conducting emergency repairs.]]
* ReasonableAuthorityFigure: He always tries to look out for the safety of his friends.
* SacrificialLion: [[spoiler: He dies early in the film.]]
* SmartPeoplePlayChess: Showing his intelligence.
* TeamDad: Everyone on the ship respects him.
* WeHardlyKnewYe: [[spoiler: Kaneda is the first member of the team to die.]]
->'''Played By:''' Benedict Wong
* AsianAndNerdy: He's of Asian ancestry, and knowledgeable enough about science to navigate the Icarus 2.
* DespairEventHorizon: After he unwittingly jeopardizes the mission, Trey succumbs to depression and is put on suicide watch.
* DrivenToSuicide: [[spoiler:His crewmates find him in the medical ward with his wrists cut. While his death appears to be a suicide, WordOfGod states that Pinbacker did it.]]
* ItsAllMyFault: When he resets Icarus 2's new course, he forgets to conduct calculations for the shields, which leaves the ship vulnerable to the sun's intense heat and jeopardizes the mission. He's horrified when he realizes his mistake, moreso when people start suffering from the repercussions.
* GoodWithNumbers: As stated by himself.
* NiceGuy: He is harmless and is consumed by self-loathing when his mistake gets [[spoiler: Kaneda killed.]]
* NiceJobBreakingItHero: See ItsAllMyFault.
* TheSmartGuy: Although his one crucial mistake ends up screwing over the team.
* TeenGenius: In his backstory.
[[caption-width-right:350:''"For seven years I spoke with God. He told me to take us all to Heaven."'']]
->'''Played By:''' Creator/MarkStrong
* TheAce: He was this. It's why he was chosen to lead the original mission.
* AmoralAfrikaner: Hard to place because we don't really get a look at him, but WordOfGod says he's South African. It's easier to hear the accent in his [[ApocalypticLog recordings.]] Also an interesting example in that we have no idea what kind of person he was before he [[SanitySlippage lost his marbles]].
* AxCrazy: The Pinbacker that the Icarus 2 crew encounters is delusional and murderous.
* BaldOfEvil: Likely burned off, as the man has been exposed to too much sunlight due to his madness.
* BigBad: Sabotaged his mission, sabotaging the second Icarus as well.
* BodyHorror: Because of his prolonged exposure to sunlight, he's covered in third degree burns. Also, during his fight with Capa and Cassie at the end of the film, Cassie grabs his arm, and his skin and flesh slough off in her hand.
-->'''Capa:''' My God. Pinbacker.
-->'''Pinbacker:''' Not your God. Mine!
* EvilSoundsDeep: Baritone.
* TheFatalist: After his sanity slippage, he concludes that efforts to save humanity are futile.
-->'''Pinbacker:''' All our science, all our hopes, our dreams, are foolish! In the face of this, we are dust, nothing more. Unto this dust, we return. When he chooses for us to die, it is not our place to challenge God.
* FullFrontalAssault: He doesn't wear clothing, showing off his burns and wounds.
* TheFundamentalist: Having lost his mind, Pinbacker believes that he can talk to God and that he's carrying out God's will by sabotaging efforts to restart the sun.
* GenreShift: He represents the movie's shift from hard-ish Sci-Fi with NoAntagonist to a borderline slasher flick.
* ImplacableMan: He's convinced that God wants humanity to die so that they can ascend to heaven. He meets any attempt to thwart this with violence, and he cannot be reasoned with or cowed.
* KnightOfCerebus: ''All'' of the film's body count is his fault (directly or indirectly), he killed all of his crew, and the film shifts to pure slasher horror the moment he appears.
* MadeOfIron: There's no reason he's pretty much completely indestructible. He just is. Despite already being covered in third-degree burns.
* NotQuiteDead: Pinbacker was believed to have died along with the crew of the Icarus 1. However, he's very much alive and determined to thwart the Icarus 2 mission.
* TheParagonAlwaysRebels: He was TheAce, the guy humanity entrusted its future with when they launched the Icarus I. Then he suffered a SanitySlippage and turned against his cause.
* ReligiousBruiser: He's a formidable opponent who believes that he's carrying out the will of God.
* SanitySlippage: Pinbacker lost his sanity while leading the crew of the Icarus 1.
* SatanicArchetype: He acts as an adversary to humanity on God's behalf (or so he believes in his madness), bringing to mind Satan's traditional role in the Hebrew Bible as the Adversary. When Capa meets him face-to-face, he's bathed in light, evoking Lucifer as an angel of light.
* SpaceMadness: During Icarus 1's journey, he went insane, presumably from the stresses of the mission.
* SpannerInTheWorks: After he goes insane, he sabotages the Icarus 1 mission and creates enormous problems for the Icarus 2 mission.
* StrawNihilist: In his lunacy, he concludes that humanity's efforts to restart the sun are in vain, and that humans are inconsequential "dust" before God.