!!The Sphynx (sic)
The strip's mascot. She's over 3000 years old (with the face of a woman a hundredth her age) but still doesn't completely understand humanity. She's friends with Pink Haired Girl.
* EvenEvilHasStandards: She was ''disgusted'' to find out Oedipus' mother married her own son.
* HistoricalInJoke: [[spoiler: She is the Mona Lisa]]
* MyNaymeIs: Probably unintentional, but "Sphinx" is properly spelled with an i.
** Or having something to do with her age and the sheer number of languages she has dealt with. She likely is not using an English pronunciation either.
* ToServeMan: Taken surprisingly frequently in stride by witnesses.
!!Pink Haired Girl
A slightly depressed ordinary Jane who drifts from job to job. Friends with The Sphynx. She spends a lot of time observing and commenting on life around her and has a notably unsuccessful dating life.
* CanadaEh: Not common, but it appears from time to time.
* NoNameGiven: And that's the way Rowntree is keeping it.
A super-curvy, smoking hot brunette with a thing for skimpy clothing and an interest in museums, bookstores, and a good number of stereotypical guy traits. She tends to be oblivious to her effect on men and evidently has a wildly overactive imagination.
* AllWomenAreLustful: Well, she's certainly a porn lover.
* InnocentFanserviceGirl: Though it's hard to imagine how given her thing for short dresses, tight jeans, and very low-cut tops.
* NoNameGiven: Generally referred to as [[http://subnormality.wikia.com/wiki/Justine Justine]] from the title of [[http://www.viruscomix.com/page526.html this strip;]] the title is a Music/TheSmashingPumpkins reference, but Rowntree has not discouraged the use of the name by fans.
* WhatCouldHaveBeen: [[spoiler:The Museum of the Theoretical strip, where she meets herself as a bookish, professorial type in a drab pantsuit.]]
A frustrated horror writer and, eventually, Pink Haired Girl's second best friend after the Sphynx.
* WhatCouldHaveBeen: Ethel too has been to the Museum of the Theoretical, and met three other Ethels with completely different lives.