!!The Sphynx (sic)
The strip's mascot. She's over 3000 years old (with the face of a woman a hundredth her age) but still doesn't completely understand humanity. She's friends with Pink Haired Girl.
* EvenEvilHasStandards: She was ''disgusted'' to find out Oedipus' mother married her own son.
* BlueAndOrangeMorality, or at least AffablyEvil. She tries to follow the rules of society and work within it at times, and she certainly understands it a lot better than other monsters.
* HistoricalInJoke: [[spoiler: She is the Mona Lisa.]]
* MyNaymeIs: Probably unintentional, but "Sphinx" is properly spelled with an i.
** Or having something to do with her age and the sheer number of languages she has dealt with. She likely is not using an English pronunciation either.
* ToServeMan: Taken surprisingly frequently in stride by witnesses.
!!Pink Haired Girl
A slightly depressed ordinary Jane who drifted from job to job before settling on being an airline stewardess due to a single moment of coincidence. Friends with The Sphynx, as well as Ethel. She spends a lot of time observing and commenting on life around her and has a notably unsuccessful dating life.
* CanadaEh: Not common, but it appears from time to time.
* NoNameGiven: And that's the way Rowntree is keeping it.
* VerbalTic: Tends to add a "hey?" to the end of her sentences at times.
A super-curvy, smoking hot brunette with a thing for skimpy clothing and an interest in museums, bookstores, and a good number of stereotypical guy traits. She tends to be oblivious to her effect on men and evidently has a wildly overactive imagination.
* AllWomenAreLustful: Well, she's certainly a porn lover.
* InnocentFanserviceGirl: Though it's hard to imagine how given her thing for short dresses, tight jeans, and very low-cut tops. One explanation seems to be that she has some body image issues.
* NoNameGiven: Generally referred to as [[http://subnormality.wikia.com/wiki/Justine Justine]] from the title of [[http://www.viruscomix.com/page526.html this strip;]] the title is a Music/TheSmashingPumpkins reference, but Rowntree has not discouraged the use of the name by fans.
A frustrated horror writer and, eventually, Pink Haired Girl's second best friend after the Sphynx.
* JerkWithAHeartOfGold: She's been deeply steeped in cynicism, self-loathing, and uncertainty about the future, and can let slip some harsh stuff without forethought. But [[http://www.viruscomix.com/page586.html deep inside her lies a capacity for unconditional love]]. She herself finds this incongruous with the rest of her.
* StrawFeminist: Occasionally gives off these vibes, mostly due to her cynical outlook. Does not become flanderized as one though.
A down-on-her-luck homeless girl. Seems to possess a kind heart and occasionally offers bits of wisdom to the few who would engage her in conversation.
* SpeechImpediment/ VerbalTic: Has a tendency to stutter/repeat short words/phrases at the beginning of a sentence. [[spoiler:Her better-off counterpart from the alternate continuity where Ethel is a published nonfiction author seems to have it in control usually, but reverts to it in moments of very intense emotion.]]
The frontman of the novelty rap metal band The Generals.
* DoingItForTheArt: Barely makes any money, but keeps on playing even if [[http://www.viruscomix.com/page587.html there's only 4 people who came out to watch]].
* DumpsterDive: States that he occasionally salvages edibles this way.
* NiceGuy: Looks out for Zoe by inviting her to all of his shows so that she can spend some time indoors away from exposure to the elements.