[[folder: Main Characters]]
->'''Voiced by:''' Creator/AiKayano (Japanese), CaitlynnFrench (English)
* BigEater: It's noted more in the manga, but Mei can pack food away without gaining a pound. In fact, Yamato knows just how much Kakeru bothered Mei based solely on the fact that Mei didn't finish the meal she was eating at the time.
* CharacterDevelopment: As time goes on, Mei's personality begins to change. She becomes more accepting of the people around her, which helps her make friends again. She grows to be more social and starts to become closer to others. This is proven when Megumi befriends Asami and Aiko in order to leave Mei without friends. Despite this change in her personality, Mei continues to be as clumsy, observant and honest as she was in the beginning of the series.
* DeadpanSnarker: Moreso in the manga than anime, but it's definitely there.
* DisappearedDad: Her father died of cancer, though this is only alluded to in the anime.
* FriendlessBackground: Her opening lines of internal dialogue are all about how she's happy to have been friendless for years. Even after she starts admitting to wanting friends, she still sometimes retreats into herself.
* TheQuietOne: As a result of her childhood bullying.
* SugarAndIcePersonality: She is quite capable of being caring and warm to other
->'''Voiced by:''' Creator/TakahiroSakurai (Japanese), Leraldo Anzaldua (English)
* AmazonChaser: Started to like Mei when she kicked him. It was because she thought he was lifting up her skirt, it was actually Kenji.
* BigManOnCampus: His popularity is off the charts.
* ChickMagnet: Almost all the girls at his school are in love with him.
* CrazyJealousGuy: Yamato ''punched'' a notorious player, Kakeru Hayakawa, from his school after he tempted (and failed) Mei to have sex with him. Another example is his pissed off reaction when he hears (untrue) rumors of Mei and Kai.
* FreudianExcuse: It is later revealed that his necessity to help and protect others comes from his middle school years when he couldn't help a friend who was being bullied. He has been feeling guilty since then, as reason he didn't help his friend was for fear of getting bullied himself.
* NiceGuy: One of the reasons why he so popular. Asami describes Yamato as someone who thinks of others more than anyone else, protects what should be protected, and cares for others despite having his own problems to deal with.
->'''Voiced by:''' Creator/RisaTaneda (Japanese), Creator/MonicaRial (English)
* DCupDistress: She has been bullied because of her breast size. It doesn't help that Nakanishi goes on about them non-stop at first.
* TheGlomp: She's very physically effusive, and she doesn't shy away from clinging onto people she likes. One of the girls jealous of her early make fun of this, comparing her to goldfish poop (or a suckerfish, in the translation).
* NiceGirl: She never says a harsh word about anyone - part of why she becomes Mei's second friend (after Yamato) is because she's genuine and kind to Mei.
* OfficialCouple[=/=]BetaCouple: With Kenji.
->'''Voiced by:''' Creator/NobunagaShimazaki (Japanese), Creator/GregAyres (English)
* ChivalrousPervert: Kenji ''does'' admire Asami's breast size, but that's not his only reason for wanting to be her boyfriend.
* DiggingYourselfDeeper: The main reason that Kenji is getting nowhere with Asami at the start of the series? His obsession with large breasts comes out nearly every time he talks to or about her, and it only serves to add to her DCupDistress. It isn't until Mei points out that Asami is insecure about them that he makes an effort to correct the problem, though he still slips up.
* TheGadfly: Particularly early on, he enjoys riling other people up, particularly girls. In fact, it was his attempt at peeking up Mei's skirt that resulted in her formally introducing herself - or rather, her foot - to Yamato.
* OfficialCouple[=/=]BetaCouple: With Asami.
->'''Voiced by:''' Creator/YumiUchiyama (Japanese), Carli Mosier (English)
* AlphaBitch: She's pretty popular, and she focuses early on trying to break up Mei and Yamato. When she comes to accept Mei, she moves on to becoming a LoveableAlphaBitch.
* CruelToBeKind: Even when she's trying to help people out, Aiko is not particularly sparing. One memorable moment involved chewing out Mei for trying to hide that she was crying - she was harsh, but she was trying to get Mei to both see her problem and be willing to open up to her and Asami about it.
* DefrostingIceQueen: She starts off wanting to win Yamato from Mei, but quickly gives up and becomes a friends with Mei. She also seems recover from her eating disorder at this time.
* LovingAShadow: Aiko's early spotlight showed that she long obsessed over what Yamato meant to her and her poor self-esteem, to the extent that she would imagine that she was having sex with Yamato when she was sleeping with other people. Part of her development was learning to let go of that mental image she had of him.