->"''All the privilege I claim for my own sex (it is not a very enviable one; you need not covet it) is that of loving longest, when existence or when hope is gone.''"
* BlackSheep: Her family considers her the odd one -- who is not handsome, not pursuing the right relations, not caring about wealth and aristocracy.
* IAmNotPretty: She lost the beauty of youth when her relationship with Wentworth broke.
* IRegretNothing: [[spoiler:She eventually decides that in spite of the pain it caused her and Wentworth, she was right to bow to others' opinions by not marrying him when they were young]].
* IWasQuiteALooker: She was very pretty when she was younger -- a teenager and in her early twenties. Her loss of love cost her her bloom and she's considered rather plain, but elegant. Her looks improve considerably when she gets happier.
* LoveDodecahedron: She's involved in one. Charles Musgrove loved her, but married her sister. She loves Captain Wentworth who used to love her as well but now thinks he might love Louisa or Henrietta. Captain Benwick is obviously infatuated with her and she doesn't find him too shabby either. Her cousin William loves her as well and she's tempted to return the affection.
* MissingMom: Lady Elliot died when Anne was a young teen-aged girl. She misses her mother dearly as she was the only one in her family who loved her. It's hinted they shared love for music.
* NewOldFlame: To Captain Wentworth. They used to be engaged and the chemistry is still there, despite the fact that Captain Wentworth chooses to ignore her at first.
* OldMaid: She's twenty-seven and not married yet. That was a dangerous age when a woman would be considered to becoming an old maid.
* TheOneThatGotAway: Till Captain shows up again, Anne suffers from this trope a lot. She has done so for eight years. She's never met Captain Wentworth's equal and refused Charles Musgrove's offer. Justified by the fact that she never got beyond her social circle in the country.
* OnlySaneMan: In the Elliot family; she is far more responsible and clear-headed than her father or sister.
* ParentalMarriageVeto: Rather, ParentalSubstitute Marriage Veto.
* ProperLady: She's very caring and a sweet lady.
* TheQuietOne: She's not very lively or spirited. However, she has an elegant mind and when she speaks, it's sensible and nice.
* TheStoic: She thinks she has to appear strong to her friends and acquaintances, but she often suffers serious emotional turmoil inside.
* TheUnfavorite: She definitely TheUnfavourite to her father, Sir Walter. To him, she is only Anne, unimportant second daughter who is not beautiful enough or vain enough, who will never marry, or never marry a suitable man.
* WhiteSheep: She, along with her late mother, were the only exemplary members of the Elliot Family.
!! Captain Frederick Wentworth
* TheCaptain: Everybody loves the captain! He's a very successful