[[folder: The Goodman Family]]
-> ''Played by Alice Ripley''
* AnnoyingPatient: And yet, Dr Madden begs her to [[spoiler: stick at the treatment.]]
* BreakingTheFourthWall: It seems that only Diana is really able to do this, but Alice Ripley as Diana was infamous for this.
* FeelNoPain: Diana has many complaints that her medication makes her suffer new problems each time it is altered, such as weight gain, sweating for no reason, constipation and nausea. However, after a while she claims "I don't feel like myself...I mean, I don't feel ''anything''."
** Averted when she throws [[NoMedicationForMe away her medication]] in "I Miss The Mountains" because she misses her younger self, who felt pain, depression, happiness, sadness and even mania; but at least she ''felt''.
-->'''Diana''': ''[To Natalie]'' We tried to give you a normal life. ''(laughs)'' I realize now I have no clue what that is.
* HesBack: When [[spoiler: Gabe returns]] at the end of "Why Stay?/A Promise" behind Dan when Diana and Dan are about to embrace. Diana issues an "oh no" and [[spoiler: turns Dan to face the (presumably) empty space where Gabe is, to which Dan yells a long "GODDAMMITTTT!"]]
* IWantSong: "I Miss the Mountains"
* MissingMom: As Natalie sings towards the end of the show "It's so lovely that you're sharing, no really; I'm all ears. But where has all this caring been for sixteen years?"
* [[spoiler: NoMedicationForMe]]
* SanitySlippageSong: Could be seen as many for Diana.
* TooMuchInformation: Does this to Natalie at the very beginning of the show so it seems that they are leading normal lives.
-->'''Diana''': Honey, you need to slow down. Take some time for yourself. I'm going to have sex with your father!
-->'''Natalie''': Great, [[SarcasmMode thanks, I'm so glad I know that]].
-> ''Played by J. Robert Spencer''
* BumblingDad: Natalie wants him to be "a typical parent and lie" that everything with Diana will be OK.
* MenDontCry: Averted. Dan hides his emotions from his family until it eventually tears them apart, [[spoiler: until his wife leaves him and Natalie finds him sobbing alone in the dark and simply replies that "there will be light." Dan eventually agrees to see a therapist recommended by Dr Madden, after a long time of bottling up his emotions.]]
* OnlySaneMan: Well, there's the bipolar wife, the angsty teenage daughter, the dead-ghost son, the daughter's stoner boyfriend and the terrifying therapist. And then there's Dan.
** While he's certainly more stable than the others, Dan is more troubled than he appears at first; a lot of his storyline throughout the musical involves him being forced to come to terms with his hopelessness about his wife's condition and his denial about [[spoiler: the loss of his son]].
!Gabriel "Gabe" Goodman
-> ''Played by Creator/AaronTveit''
* [[spoiler: DeadAllAlong]]
* EvenEvilHasStandards: Many think of Gabe as a vicious and aggressive spirit/memory trying to spite his family into remembering him, but he [[spoiler:stops following his mother for once when she leaves his father to help him.]]
** [[spoiler:One could argue that he was staying for his father for his whole appearance during the second act. He does reappear to Diana which tells us her treatment failed, but most of the song he sings during that appearance is directed at Dan, not Diana. And in his subsequent appearance, he is solely there for Dan.]]
* FanService: During "I'm Alive", his rather... vigorous use of the tiered set definitely verges on pole dancing.
** Also, he performs his solo in "Just Another Day" [[ShirtlessScene in his boxers.]]
* IronicBirthday: His birthday, when the delusional Diana bakes Gabe a cake, is when the audience [[spoiler: explicitly finds out, from Dan, that "he's been dead sixteen years."]]
* MeaningfulName: ''Gabriel'', perhaps as in the angel who appeared to Mary in The Bible and told her she was pregnant.
* TenorBoy: An exception: he is a tenor, but is actually [[spoiler: the villain for varying degrees of villainy]].
-> ''Played by Jennifer Damiano''
* BrattyTeenageDaughter: But mainly as a JerkassFacade for dealing with her family problems.
* DawsonCasting: Averted. Natalie is stated to be sixteen, yet was played by Jennifer Damiano (who was still in high school) originally.
-->'''Natalie''': And you play 'til it's perfect, you play 'til you ache. You play 'til the strings or your fingernails break! So you'll rock that recital and get into Yale, so you won't feel so sick, and you won't look so pale.
* EmbarrassingOldPhoto: In "Better Than Before".
* InnocenceLost: And she resents her parents for it.
-->'''Henry''': Our planet is poisoned, the oceans, the air. Around and beneath and above you.
-->'''Natalie''': Um, Henry, that's true and I totally care.
-->'''Henry''': I'm trying to tell you-- I love you.
* PowerOfLove: How Natalie helps the family [[spoiler: come to terms with Diana's leaving at the end of the show]], especially because of Henry, who is "like, number three on [her] list of problems" but her "favorite problem."
* ReplacementGoldfish: Her mother admits to having her to replace [[spoiler: her brother, who died in infancy]].
* TeensAreMonsters: Averted eventually. Natalie is just very, very frustrated at her parents.
* WhatTheHellDad: When Dan smashes Diana's music box when he will not [[spoiler: name Gabe to Diana]].
-> ''Played by Adam Chanler-Berat''
-->'''Henry''': The thing about classical is it's so rigid and structured, there's no room for improvisation. You have to play the notes on the page.
-->'''Natalie''': Yeah, [[SarcasmMode what did Mozart know anyway?]] He should've just smoked a bowl and jammed on ''Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star.''
-->'''Henry''': ...Yeah, let's do that!
-->'''Natalie''': "Oh, you're one of those pretentious stoner types."
-->'''Henry''': "That's totally unfair! ... I'm not pretentious."
* PluckyComicRelief: Him being high is a RunningGag, and used to [[spoiler: loosen the seriousness of Natalie starting to take her mother's drugs in "I'm Alive" until "Wish I Were Here".]]
* StonersAreFunny: See PluckyComicRelief.
!Dr. Fine/Dr. Madden
-> ''Played by Louis Hobson''
* MeaningfulName: A therapist called Dr ''Madden''? Yikes.
* RockStarSong: Parodied by Diana's hallucinations about Doctor Madden in "My Psychopharmacologist and I", and in Madden's cut song "Feeling Electric."