%%Zero Context Examples have been commented out. Add context to the entries before uncommenting them.
This page is for listing the tropes related to party members who first appeared in the original ''[[VideoGame/MassEffect1 Mass Effect]]'' game.
For the pages listing tropes related to [=NPC=]s, Antagonists and Party Members who first appeared in other games in the trilogy, see the [[Characters/MassEffect Mass Effect Character Index]].
* [[Characters/MassEffectKaidanAlenko Kaidan Alenko]]
* [[Characters/MassEffectAshleyWilliams Ashley Williams]]
* [[Characters/MassEffectGarrusVakarian Garrus Vakarian]]
* [[Characters/MassEffectLiaraTSoni Liara T'Soni]]
* [[Characters/MassEffectTaliZorah Tali'Zorah]]
* [[Characters/MassEffectUrdnotWrex Urdnot Wrex]]
!Guest Party Members
[[folder:Richard L. Jenkins]]
!Corporal Richard L. Jenkins
[[caption-width-right:200:[[TemptingFate With a name like that, surely he'll be around forever. Right?]]]]
-->''"We've got a Spectre on board! That's why I'm so wound up - I can't wait for the real mission to start."''
-->'''Voiced by''': Josh Dean
An over-enthusiastic Alliance soldier from Eden Prime, he is assigned as part of your squad when everything goes to hell there. Continuing in the long Bioware tradition of early sacrificial party members, he dies in the opening few minutes.
* BeCarefulWhatYouWishFor: He says he's itching for some action just before the Eden Prime mission. Too bad "action" in his case meant watching his homeworld get scorched and being gunned down by a pair of geth recon drones.
* BunnyEarsLawyer: Despite his boundless enthusiasm and naïveté, various characters imply Jenkins was a very competent soldier.
* DecoyProtagonist: He's a placeholder for your real Soldier squadmember who joins about a minute or two after his death.
* DoomedHometown: Eden Prime is this for him. Pity he dies too soon for it to become a plot point. And it's not entirely doomed anyway; there's a DLC mission there in the third game.
* ForgottenFallenFriend: Averted. The ''Normandy'' crew is very upset about his death, and in [=ME2=] Dr. Chakwas reminisces about him over drinks with Shepard.
** He's also on the memorial wall in the ''Normandy'' in Mass Effect 3, and he will be mentioned if Kaidan, James, or EDI is brought to the Eden Prime mission.
** In private moments, Shepard is shown to [[TheChainsOfCommanding give him/her-self grief over Jenkins' death since it was his/her orders that caused him to run into the ambush]].
** One interpretation of when Shepard later encounters a young over-enthusiastic mercenary (who is also voiced by Josh Dean) on Omega, the reason they stopped dead in their tracks, turned slowly around and, if taking the Paragon interrupt, broke the kid's gun and ordered them home, was because he reminded them too much of Jenkins.
* FunPersonified: According to Chakwas. One of her stories involves him pestering Kaidan for a biotic demonstration, only for Kaidan to accidentally throw him so hard across the room, she thought he was seriously injured. Jenkins then leapt up, gleefully exclaiming:
--> '''Jenkins''': That was ''awesome''!
* GameplayAndStorySegregation: If you're on a NewGamePlus, he'll be level 50+ and still die to a few bullets after having been ordered to take point.
* GuestStarPartyMember: Despite being with you for at most a minute or two and dying right before the first fight, he is a fully functional squad member that can be issued orders and even has some skill points for you to assign despite never having an opportunity to use any abilities.
* HeroWorshipper: To Shepard. This is rarely a good sign for a character's mortality rate this early in the story.
* InnocentlyInsensitive: If Shepard has a Survivor or Ruthless background, Jenkins can gush about what he/she's done is worth him being a Spectre candidate, to which Shepard can state that it's a past that brings him/her bad memories.
* NaiveNewcomer: Definitely had an incredibly idealistic outlook on the Spectres, and the heroism of Shepard him/herself.
* LeeroyJenkins: [[SubvertedTrope Subverted]], actually, [[MeaningfulName despite the name.]] He's very eager to go out there and see action, but still follows Shepard's orders to the letter and takes point. In the end it still doesn't do him much good; some Geth drones ambush the squad and Jenkins gets gunned down before the rest know what's happening.
* SacrificialLamb: He dies just before the player's first battle.
* WeHardlyKnewYe: He got one conversation and a couple of lines. For a [=BioWare=] squad member, that's waving hello in passing.