[[ExactlyWhatItSaysOnTheTin Just as one might have guessed from the game's title]], ''VideoGame/KantaiCollection'' boasts a ''[[LoadsAndLoadsOfCharacters massive]]'' cast of [[GottaCatchThemAll collectible]], [[MoeAnthropomorphism personified]] WW2 Japanese warships (Kanmusu). Each and every ship has her own distinctive characteristic and personality.
The playable kanmusu can be found in the following sheets, categorized by naval classes:
* '''Characters/KantaiCollectionOne''': Covers the Destroyer and Light Cruiser classes.
* '''Characters/KantaiCollectionTwo''': Covers the Heavy Cruiser, Battleship, (Light) Aircraft Carrier, Submarine classes as well as Auxiliary Vessels.
* '''Characters/KantaiCollectionThree''': Covers the non-IJN ships (from the IJA, as well as from foreign navies).
* '''Characters/KantaiCollectionFour''': Covers the Abyssal Fleet, the enemy faction of the game.
* '''Characters/KantaiCollectionOtherOfficialWorks''': Covers characters that are introduced via one of the printed media, like the manga or light novels.
[[folder:Rashinban Musu / Compass Girl]]
* TheDreaded: Every Admiral is at the mercy of the compass. Pray that the compass fairies don't send your fleet into a dead end after a series of hard fought battles.
* FourTemperamentEnsemble: The four Compass Fairy fit this, even with their limited script.
** Sanguine: The one with a chick. Her face in permanent X3, she talks in MotorMouth, and she's always trembling with excitement every time she spins the compass.
** Choleric: The one dressed like a witch. The most noticeable of the four, dressed gaudily even for the fairy's standard but her speech bubbles always filled with tad bit of trivia.
** Melancholic: The one with hairclip. Doesn't really stand out, but most hard-working. Ambivalent of anything.
** Phlegmatic: The green-haired one. Always looks sleepy, doesn't talk much, and even that she's pretty apathetic.
* TheDreaded: The greatest enemy no Admiral ever wants to encounter: [[spoiler:a connection error.]]
* GirlishPigtails: [[HairDecorations With ribbons.]]
* BadassAdorable: They man every piece of equipment and pilot every plane in the game. And they are cuter than a box of kittens.
* TheGreatestStoryNeverTold: Very rarely appear in media, despite being essentially crew of the ships/pilots/maintenance personnel.
* FairyCompanion: For the ship girls. due to them manning and operating all the equipment on behalf of the shipgirls. In some fanworks they tend to follow around the girls in day to day activities as well.
* LoadsAndLoadsOfCharacters: every equipment type has a unique fairy sprite. As of June 2015 there are at least 138 equipment fairies, plus construction workers and NPC's.