[[ExactlyWhatItSaysOnTheTin Just as one might have guessed from the game's title]], ''VideoGame/KantaiCollection'' boasts a ''[[LoadsAndLoadsOfCharacters massive]]'' cast of [[GottaCatchThemAll collectible]], [[MoeAnthropomorphism personified]] warships (Kanmusu) from UsefulNotes/WorldWarII[[note]]Consisting of ships from the IJN, the IJA, the Kriegsmarine, the Regia Marina, and as of the Spring 2017 Event, two capital ships from the USN Pacific Fleet, a lone ship each from The Royal Navy and Marine Nationale, and an additional capital ship from the Soviet Navy / VMF]][[/note]]. Each and every ship has her own distinctive characteristic and personality.
The playable kanmusu can be found in the following sheets, categorized by naval classes:
* '''Characters/KantaiCollectionOne''': Covers the Destroyers of the ''Kamikaze'', ''Mutsuki'', ''Fubuki'', ''Ayanami'', ''Akatsuki'', ''Hatsuharu'', and ''Shiratsuyu''-classes.
* '''Characters/KantaiCollectionTwo''': Covers the Destroyers of the ''Asashio'', ''Kagerou'', ''Yuugumo'', ''Akizuki'', and ''Shimakaze''-classes.
* '''Characters/KantaiCollectionThree''': Covers the Light and Heavy Cruiser classes.
* '''Characters/KantaiCollectionFour''': Covers the Battleship, (Light) Aircraft Carrier, Submarine classes as well as Auxiliary Vessels.
* '''Characters/KantaiCollectionFive''': Covers the non-IJN ships (from the IJA, as well as from foreign navies).
!!Non-playables and Miscellaneous
* '''Characters/KantaiCollectionSix''': Covers enemy factions of the game; the Abyssal Fleet, permanent antagonist, and Enemy!Mist Fleet, Christmas 2013 Event antagonist.
* '''Characters/KantaiCollectionOtherOfficialWorks''': Covers characters that are introduced via one of the printed media, like the manga or light novels.
[[folder:Rashinban Musu / Compass Girl]]
* TheDreaded: Every Admiral is at the mercy of the compass. Pray that the compass fairies don't send your fleet into a dead end after a series of hard fought battles.
* FourTemperamentEnsemble: The four Compass Fairy fit this, even with their limited script.
** Sanguine: The one with a chick. Her face in permanent X3, she talks in MotorMouth, and she's always trembling with excitement every time she spins the compass.
** Choleric: The one dressed like a witch. The most noticeable of the four, dressed gaudily even for the fairy's standard but her speech bubbles always filled with tad bit of trivia.
** Melancholic: The one with the hair clip. Doesn't really stand out, but most hard-working. Ambivalent of anything.
** Phlegmatic: The green-haired one. Always looks sleepy, doesn't talk much, and even that she's pretty apathetic.
* TheDreaded: The greatest enemy no Admiral ever wants to encounter: [[spoiler:a connection error.]]
* GirlishPigtails: [[HairDecorations With ribbons.]]
* BadassAdorable: They man every piece of equipment and pilot every plane in the game. And they are cuter than a box of kittens.
* TheGreatestStoryNeverTold: Very rarely appear in media, despite being essentially crew of the ships/pilots/maintenance personnel.
* FairyCompanion: For the ship girls. due to them manning and operating all the equipment on behalf of the shipgirls. In some fanworks they tend to follow around the girls in day to day activities as well.
* LoadsAndLoadsOfCharacters: every equipment type has a unique fairy sprite [[note]]Exceptions are starting to come up more and more, however, with equipments that are upgrades over previous equipments; those tend to have the same fairy from before, but either with their pose changed, or extra fairies are added in.[[/note]]. Currently there are well over 150 equipment fairies, plus construction workers and NPC's.