[[ExactlyWhatItSaysOnTheTin Just as one might have guessed from the game's title]], ''VideoGame/KantaiCollection'' boasts a ''[[LoadsAndLoadsOfCharacters massive]]'' cast of [[GottaCatchThemAll collectible]], [[MoeAnthropomorphism personified]] warships (Kanmusu) from WorldWarTwo[[note]]Consisting of ships from the IJN, the IJA, the Kriegsmarine, the Regia Marina, and as of the Summer 2016 Event, two capital ships from the USN Pacific Fleet [[spoiler:and a lone ship from The Royal Navy and Marine Nationale each]][[/note]]. Each and every ship has her own distinctive characteristic and personality.
The playable kanmusu can be found in the following sheets, categorized by naval classes:
* '''Characters/KantaiCollectionOne''': Covers the Destroyers of Kamikaze, Mutsuki, Fubuki, Ayanami, Akatsuki, Hatsuharu, and Shiratsuyu-class.
* '''Characters/KantaiCollectionTwo''': Covers the Destroyers of Asashio, Kagerou, Yuugumo, Akizuki, and Shimakaze-class.
* '''Characters/KantaiCollectionThree''': Covers the Light and Heavy Cruiser classes.
* '''Characters/KantaiCollectionFour''': Covers the Battleship, (Light) Aircraft Carrier, Submarine classes as well as Auxiliary Vessels.
* '''Characters/KantaiCollectionFive''': Covers the non-IJN ships (from the IJA, as well as from foreign navies).
* '''Characters/KantaiCollectionSix''': Covers the Abyssal Fleet, the enemy faction of the game.
* '''Characters/KantaiCollectionOtherOfficialWorks''': Covers characters that are introduced via one of the printed media, like the manga or light novels.
[[folder:Rashinban Musu / Compass Girl]]
* TheDreaded: Every Admiral is at the mercy of the compass. Pray that the compass fairies don't send your fleet into a dead end after a series of hard fought battles.
* FourTemperamentEnsemble: The four Compass Fairy fit this, even with their limited script.
** Sanguine: The one with a chick. Her face in permanent X3, she talks in MotorMouth, and she's always trembling with excitement every time she spins the compass.
** Choleric: The one dressed like a witch. The most noticeable of the four, dressed gaudily even for the fairy's standard but her speech bubbles always filled with tad bit of trivia.
** Melancholic: The one with hairclip. Doesn't really stand out, but most hard-working. Ambivalent of anything.
** Phlegmatic: The green-haired one. Always looks sleepy, doesn't talk much, and even that she's pretty apathetic.
* TheDreaded: The greatest enemy no Admiral ever wants to encounter: [[spoiler:a connection error.]]
* GirlishPigtails: [[HairDecorations With ribbons.]]
* BadassAdorable: They man every piece of equipment and pilot every plane in the game. And they are cuter than a box of kittens.
* TheGreatestStoryNeverTold: Very rarely appear in media, despite being essentially crew of the ships/pilots/maintenance personnel.
* FairyCompanion: For the ship girls. due to them manning and operating all the equipment on behalf of the shipgirls. In some fanworks they tend to follow around the girls in day to day activities as well.
* LoadsAndLoadsOfCharacters: every equipment type has a unique fairy sprite [[note]]With the exception of 16inch Triple Gun Mount Mk.7 + GFCS, which shares a fairy with the base 16inch Triple Gun Mount Mk.7, but with another fairy added in, and the 38.1cm Mk.I/N Twin Gun Mount, which has the same fairy as the base 38.1cm Mk.I Twin Gun Mount, but with her pose changed.[[/note]]. Currently there are well over 150 equipment fairies, plus construction workers and NPC's.