Character sheet for Film/IndependenceDay.
!!President Thomas Whitmore
->'''Played by:''' Bill Pullman
* AuthorityEqualsAsskicking[=/=]BadassInCharge: Justified, as Whitmore was apparently a fighter pilot in the Gulf War, and is still relatively young at the time of the invasion.
** DoubleSubversion: Before the invasion, his presidency is plagued by complaints about how meek a leader he is.
* BashBrothers: With General Grey.
* ButtMonkey / FunnyBackgroundEvent: Before the alien war, Whitmore took a lot of crap from others who either hated his policies or felt that he was too young to run a country. Much of what happens on the new prior to the attack is pretty much everyone badmouthing him.
* ChekhovsSkill: See above: Whitmore's tour of duty as a fighter pilot in the Gulf War.
* EveryoneCallsHimBarkeep: OK, show of hands, who actually remembered that the character's ''name'' was not "Mr. President" without having to look it up?
* AFatherToHisMen: Becomes indisputably true during his brilliant Churchillian speech right before the final battle.
* IntergenerationalFriendship: With General Grey.
* LastStand: Right before the final battle, President Whitmore gives one of the most memorable speeches in movie history, a speech that seems to be deliberately designed to be similar to Churchill's refusal to surrender.
* [[OurPresidentsAreDifferent President Action]]
* ReasonableAuthorityFigure: Upon seeing David again for the first time in years, when David punched him in the head, he immediately says he doesn't have time for this. However, he then decides to give him a minute and after hearing about the countdown, Whitmore immediately orders General Grey to begin evacuating the cities.
!!Captain Steve Hiller
->'''Played by:''' WillSmith
* BondOneLiner: "Welcome to Earth!"
** "Now that's what I call a close encounter."
-->'''Jasmine:''' You are not as charming as you think you are, sir.
-->'''Steve:''' [[BadassBoast Yes I am.]]
* SemperFi: A Marine F-18 pilot
* TranquilFury: The entire desert scene. Rather than be mad or horrified like everyone else would be, he takes it as a hiccup to his vacation. When Hiller (And to an extent Smith) smelled the [[RageBreakingPoint brine shrimp in the air,]] [[UnstoppableRage he finally snaps and kicks the alien he's dragging with him,]] before calming down and walking.
->'''Played by:''' Creator/JeffGoldblum
* AwLookTheyReallyDoLoveEachOther: He and Constance snark on a daily basis, but the reason he went to the white house to warn the president was so that she didn't die in the eventual invasion.
* BrilliantButLazy: He had the talent and knowledge base to becomes a wealthier engineer, but he was perfectly happy where he was.
* CharacterDevelopment: He started out as a BrilliantButLazy cable guy, who hated smoking and berated everyone for minor acts of pollution such as littering. After the invasion he starts smoking cigars, making messes and saving the world using a computer virus.
* IvyLeagueForEveryone: Spent eight years at MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology), which is the equivalent in status for math & science.
* JewishAndNerdy: His nerdiness ends up serving him well by allowing him to save the world.
->'''Played by:''' Margaret Colin
* FamilyVersusCareer: She went for a career with President Whitmore "wanting to make a difference".
* PunnyName: The White House Press Secretary with a name seemingly inspired by C-SPAN.
!!General William Grey
->'''Played by:''' Robert Loggia
* ConsummateProfessional: The only official who manages to keep a cool head.
* EverybodyCallsHimBarkeep: Much like how President Whitmore is known only as "Mr. President", Grey is referred to by most characters in the film simply as "General."
* AFatherToHisMen Not just his men, he felt it was his own duty to report to Hiller that his hometown was destroyed when these two never met in person prior.
* FourStarBadass: Hell yeah.
* IntergenerationalFriendship: With President Whitmore, or as Gen. Grey refers to him, Tom.
* NumberTwo: To President Whitmore. At the beginning of the movie, he requests to stay at the White House alongside the President (it turns out to be lucky. The rest of the JCS were apparently killed by the aliens after they evacuated to NORAD). Throughout the movie, Grey is unfailingly loyal to Whitmore and [[EpilepticTrees might be either the new Secretary of Defense or even the new Vice President at the end]], given the fact that the former VP is dead and the former Secretary of Defense was unceremoniously fired.
* OfficerAndAGentleman: In the sense that he keeps a StiffUpperLip through the whole crisis
* SemperFi: A Marine General as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
->'''Played by:''' Judd Hirsch
* BewareTheSillyOnes: When he's not being a PapaWolf he's a bit of a CloudCuckooLander, talking about looters and Area 51. However when shit hits the fan he's the first to pull a shotgun out....accidentally at his son, but the thought counts.
* CoolOldGuy: Gets some of the best lines of the movie, isn't afraid to shout down the freaking President and his staff [[PapaWolf when he feels that they're being disrespectful and ungrateful to his son]], and in general seemed like a character who it'd be pretty fun to be around.
* PapaWolf: Memorably, he shouts down the country's leaders when they disrespect his son aboard UsefulNotes/AirForceOne.
--> ''Julius:'' ''You'd all be dead now if it wasn't for my son!''
'''Played by:''' Vivica A. Fox
* HookerWithAHeartOfGold: Well, technically an ''exotic dancer'', but this is probably the closest trope that fits to her portrayal.
* MamaBear: When things start blowing up she goes from Stripper to Sprinter getting her son the hell out of there.
->'''Played by:''' Adam Baldwin
* DoubleTap: Performs this on a wounded alien after he and several Secret Service agents gunned it down.
* ReasonableAuthorityFigure: In spite of being in charge of a highly secret military base, he unlike most fictional characters in such a position is portrayed as a professional soldier who's response to an imminent alien attack is letting all the unauthorized civilians take shelter in the underground laboratories and personally take charge in the evacuation efforts.
!!Secretary of Defense Albert Nimzicki
->'''Played by:''' James Rebhorn
* JerkassHasAPoint: ''Sir, if we don't strike soon there may not be much of an America left to defend.''
* ObstructiveBureaucrat: Does nothing but provide bad advice to the President, and withholds crucial information (regarding the Roswell crash and Area 51) that could have been more useful had it been divulged earlier.
* TheScrappy: Both to viewers, and in-universe, to the point where a furious and exasperated President Whitmore finally fires him.
* SkewedPriorities / TheSociopath: It's outright stated in the book that he cares more about his political career and legacy than ''saving the human race from extermination''.
* UngratefulBastard: He's the only one that still acts like an asshole even after many times he's been proven wrong.
->'''Played by:''' Randy Quaid
* BigDamnHeroes: [[spoiler: "Sorry I'm late, Mr. President!]]
* CassandraTruth: He was the first person to warn them that the aliens are gonna kill them all.
* TheCuckoolanderWasRight: And he rubs it in.
* DadTheVeteran: A veteran of TheVietnamWar.
* HeroicSacrifice: [[spoiler: And a truly badass one at that.]]
* PapaWolf: In the special edition there's a scene where he rushes a group of armed guards and slams a high-ranking doctor against the wall to get him to attend to his dying son.
* PreMortemOneLiner: [[spoiler: "Hello, boys! '''[[HesBack I'M BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!!"]]]]'''