A page for the various gods, creatures, and people told of in Inca Mythology
The particular spirit of each mountain, sometimes also present in a particular rock or cave. Coincidentally, "apu" was also the Quechua word for military officer.
Helped in the creation of the world.
A virgin goddess who ate a fruit made of the sperm of Coniraya. She had a son, but was ashamed because of Coniraya's low stature among the gods. Because of this, she fled to the sea where she transformed herself and her son into sea rocks.
!!Cochamama ("Ocean Mother")
God of of the hearth and health.
!!Viracocha ("Sea Foam")
* TheMaker: The originator in the pantheon, the one who created everything and the father or grandfather of most of the gods.
* LandSeaSky: Being a creator, these three tend to be his go-to power sets, seen as coming from the sea
** TakenForGranite: He created people by doing the opposite of this... but was more than willing to turn someone BACK to stone if he wanted to...
* TenderTears: Viracocha was filled with infinite compassion for humans, and as such was seen as constantly weeping for the cruelties men heaped upon one another.
!!Illapa ("Thunder"), also known as Apotequil, Apocatequil and Catequil.
God of lightning. Kept the Milky Way in a jug and used it to create rain.
God of the Sun and main god in the pantheon. The Incas (the monarchs) claimed direct descent from him.
!!Mama Quilla ("Moon Mother")
!!Pachacamac ("Earth Mover")
!!Pachamama ("Earth Mother")
* HijackedByJesus / EveryoneHatesHades: The Spaniards specifically referred to him as the devil. Not entirely surprising.
* NobleDemon: For all the suffering he caused, he ''did'' have a code of honor.
* ReptilesAreAbhorrent: He was associated with snakes, and while he wasn't necessarily abhorred, he was not the nicest guy in the pantheon.