The one and only, [[Comicbook/NickFury later famous as an agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.]], Sergeant Fury leads his squad to victory time and time again against impossible odds.
!!Cpl. Timothy Aloysius Cadwallader "Dum-Dum" Dugan
A former circus strongman and Fury's second-in-command, known for his distinctive bowler derby. The only things that scare Dugan are his wife and mother-in-law.
* TheBigGuy: A former circus strongman, no less.
* DashinglyDapperDerby: He keeps his Corporal's insignia pinned to it.
!!Pvt. Dino Manelli
A famous movie star who chose to stop making movies about the war and actually enlist. Dino is the squad's resident linguist, speaking German and Italian fluently.
* NoCelebritiesWereHarmed: Appears to be based on fellow Italian American actor Creator/DeanMartin, who was also drafted in WWII, though Martin became famous after the war.
!!Pvt. Robert "Rebel" Ralston
A southern farm boy never seen without Confederate cap.
!!Pvt. Isadore "Izzy" Cohen
A wisecracking Brooklyn-born Jewish soldier who joined the army in response to the persecution of his people in Europe. The Howlers' resident mechanic.
!!Pvt. Percival "Pinky" Pinkerton
An effete and unflappable British soldier assigned to fill out the Howlers' ranks after the death of their youngest member, "Junior" Juniper.
* ParasolOfPain: Fond of carrying his "bumbershoot" into battle and using it to poke, hook, and otherwise humiliate Nazis.
* ParasolParachute: Rather incongruously (in a semi-realistic war comic) uses his umbrella as a parachute.
!! Jonathan "Junior" Juniper
An Ivy League graduate and founding member of the Howling Commandoes, he was the youngest member of the team.
!! Jim Morita
!! Eric Koenig
A German ex-patriot and former pilot in the Luftwaffe, Koenig was convinced to switch sides by Nick Fury and eventually became a Howler after sharing all the intelligence he had with the Allies.
* HeelFaceTurn: As stated above, he's a former Luftwaffe pilot who defects to the Allied forces.
!! Capt. Samuel "Happy Sam" Sawyer
A U.S. army captain responsible for recruiting Nick Fury as the leader of the First Attack Squad, nicknamed the "Howling Commandos."
* GoodSmokingEvilSmoking: He's a dedicated pipe-smoker, in accordance to his distinguished military officer persona.