!!The Stranger/[[spoiler: Marshal Jim Duncan]]
The main protagonist of the movie. No one knows who he is but can guess why he is here till they are blue in the mouth. He has no trouble turning the townsfolk against each other to achieve his revenge.
* IronicHell: Throughout the entire movie, key characters are punished in ways similar to their own crimes. It even goes as far as turning the town into hell. [[spoiler: There was a goldmine in Lago that the US government didn't know about. The marshal was gonna rat the town out, but got whipped to death by the BigBad and his henchmen, hired by the townspeople.]] The townspeople were punished [[spoiler: by having all their resources wasted by The Stranger taking advantage of the offer given to him of having anything he wanted. This in turn turned the townspeople against one another.]] The BigBad's gang was punished [[spoiler: by the Stranger himself: the first guy got whipped to death, while the second was hanged, saving the BigBad for last.]]
* NoNameGiven: Though it is hinted at the end, he never really gave out his name.
* OurGhostsAreDifferent: It has been hinted that [[spoiler: He is the ghost of the dead marshal.]] If he is a ghost, he has a solid enough physical body to attack people, but is immune to gunfire.
* WhatTheHellHero: You'll say this a lot even for an Eastwood film. The title character has no problem committing various disturbing acts, such as murder, rape and extortion.
* WhoAreYou: Though only the BigBad says it out loud many of the townspeople (and to an extent the audience) don't know who he is.
* BadassNormal: A dwarf, all he's ever done in his life was wash laundry and run hot baths for people. [[spoiler: But make him sheriff/mayor and put a gun in his hand, and he will save your life in the end as he did The Stranger.]]
* NiceGuy: One of the only few people aside from Sarah who are clearly good.
* StraightManAndWiseGuy: The Stranger and Mordecai fit this trope respectively.
--> '''The Stranger:''' What took her this long to get mad?
--> '''Mordecai:''' Maybe because she wanted more.
* UndyingLoyalty: Despite most of Lago being scared of The Stranger, Mordecai is the only one to be willing to help him out without showing some fear. It could be his attempt to atone for not helping the marshal out when he was being whipped to death. [[spoiler: Plus he is the only one that knew The Stranger's true identity in the end.]]