''Character sheet is under construction.'' '''Beware of unmarked spoilers.'''
[[folder:The Brown family and associates]]
!!Dr. Andrew "Andy" Brown (Treat Williams)
* BrokenAce: He's an extraordinary and brilliant neurosurgeon and is also wonderful as a general practitioner who offers free medicine because he got vastly rich during his career. On the surface his life appears perfect... until his wife dies. His relationship with his son is troubled and he had issues with his wife. He says his profession is the only thing he's good at, but he often feels like a failure.
* BeardOfSorrow: He had a shaved face in the pilot, but he grows a beard and sports it for the remainder of the series.
%% * BumblingDad
** Pre-series. He and Julia never divorced or separated, but he was so caught up in his world-class prestige as a surgeon that he neglected his kids until the situation forced him to be a single father.
** Andy ''was'' a Disappeared Dad but later on it's explained he also ''had'' one, as he and his father didn't really get along and were estranged for a long time (to the point that his father didn't even know about Delia's existence, or Julia's accident, until years later).
* ParentWithNewParamour: He starts dating after a certain period of time in Everwood. His daughter doesn't much like his girlfriends.
* WealthyPhilanthropist: Andy was a top-notch brain surgeon in New York, but decided to move to a small town and work as GP, offering his services free of charge. An amazing thing in America where lots of people don't have insurance and often can't afford any treatment at all.
-->'''Edna:''' Remind me again why you're offering this thankless town free medicine?
-->'''Andy:''' Well, the long answer is that after fifteen years of making money off of other people's sickness, I've decided to alleviate my guilt by doing something incredibly altruistic. The short answer is: I'm nuts!
!!Ephram Brown (Gregory Smith)
* CoolTeacher: In season 4, he starts tutoring kids and teens who play the piano. Kyle is a troubled boy and his mother says to Ephram that his lessons are a great help. Moreover, Kyle is a gifted musician, but his mom is divorced and the money are a problem, so the lessons are free of charge.
* DeadpanSnarker: It's his defense mechanism.
* DisappearedDad: Had one (pre-series). Andy was almost absent from his life and in a flashback, we saw he asked his mom to divorce her father because they practically are without him already
* ElegantClassicalMusician: He's an attractive piano player. His talent works on some girls.
* MissingMom: Textbook example, as Julia's death happens on the pilot episode, and she's remembered in a good light. Her loss is explained as a significant reason for a lot of Ephram's traits, both positive and negative.
* PsychologistTeacher: To kids he tutors, especially Kyle. To the point that he helps Kyle with money problems ('I'm actually paying you for the lessons'), tries to get him to reconnect with his dad, encourages his social life and helps him come to terms with himself.
* TroubledButCute: He has lots of family problems and feels like an outsider; however, his dark charms don't appeal to lots of girls at his school, though he manages to get some dates, and later also serious girlfriends. When he's older, he's surprised that Delia tells him her young teenage class mates find him attractive.
!!Delia Brown (Vivien Cardone)
* AllGirlsLikePonies: She's promised to get a pony if they move to Everwood.
* AnnoyingYoungerSibling: A refreshing aversion. She's much younger than her big brother and the two are close. She likes Ephram a lot and he seems to adore her back, though it's never sickeningly sweet. Quite realistically, they sometimes bicker, argue or call each other names.
* TheCutie: She's an adorable girl with big chocolate eyes and long brown hair who likes ponies. And she's a devoted ice-hockey player.
* DaddysGirl: Her dad loves her very much and he says she's the easier one of his kids. However, their relationship is not absolutely smooth.
* LittleMissSnarker: Brown family trait. She sometimes snarks at her brother and father, but not always. She can be very sweet and honest.
* MissingMom: Her mom dies when Dilia is a little kid (about second, third grade).
* PrecociousCrush: In the earlier episodes, it's heavily implied that she has one on Bright.
* TheUnfavourite: Feels like that at the end of the third season and there's a whole episode devoted to it. She was trying hard to get Andy's attention but all he was concerned about was repairing his relationship with Ephram.
* TomboyAndGirlyGirl: She loves sport and dresses very casually - she likes wearing football shirts, jumpers or jeans. Her friend Brittany is a girly girl who's interested in make-up, fashionable clothes or celebrities.
* TomboyishBaseballCap: She often wears one, even though her sport of choice is ice-hockey.
!!Julia Brown (Brenda Strong)
* BrokenPedestal: Ephram is devastated when he learns that his mum who was perfect in his eyes was [[spoiler:having an affair.]]
* PosthumousCharacter: Her death in the pilot kicks off the series.
* YourCheatingHeart: [[spoiler:Her husband was always working, so she found a lover. Andy found out and confronted her about it, but she didn't want a divorce or separation. She dies in a car crash and Andy doesn't have a chance to resolve it and let it go.]]
!!Madison Kellner (Sarah Lancaster)
* MagicalNanny: She's hired to take care of Delia who adores her and tells her she's her best friend. Madison manages to bring together even bickering Ephram and Andy... even if it's to share their complaining of Madison.
* TeenPregnancy [[spoiler:It's downplayed. She's twenty, which is still too young to have a child, and everything we learn about the pregnancy is what she tells Andy and Ephram.]]
!!Brittany Clark (Whitney Lee)
* TomboyAndGirlyGirl: She's the girly girl to Delia's tomboy. She's interested in celebrities, fashion and make-up.
!!Will Cleveland (James Earl Jones)
* CoolTeacher: Ephram's cool piano teacher. He's a jazz-man par excellence.
!!Kyle Hunter (Steven R. [=McQueen=])
Ephram's teenage piano student. Very talented and very arrogant.
* AmbiguousDisorder: At first he's portrayed that way, then he's toned down to being ''just'' socially awkward as part of his inner conflict, and that's resolved by the end of the series.
%%!!Eugene Brown (Charles Durning)
[[folder:The Abbott family and associates]]
!!Dr. Harold Abbott (Tom Amandes)
* BerserkButton: Hurting or insulting his family in any way is enough to rile Harold up to genuine anger. [[LampshadeHanging Lampshaded]] by his sister Linda in Season 2 as the news of her HIV infection became apparent to the rest of the town members.
-->'''Linda:''' When someone comes after you, you argue. But when someone comes after someone you love - the minute you see blood - you go for the throat.
-->'''Harold''': That's what you do for a family. You fight. You go too far.
* DeadpanSnarker: He basically speaks in snark language, excepting perhaps only his daughter Amy and sometimes his wife Rose. His [[SnarkToSnarkCombat Snark-to-Snark Combats]] with Andy Brown are hilarious and trademark of the series.
* HappilyMarried: His marriage with Rose is very happy.
* JerkWithAHeartOfGold: His demeanor is often quite off-putting and is frequently [[LampshadeHanging lampshaded]]. Deep down, though, he really is a good person and a loving family man.
* MissingMom: As a kid, he was devastated by his mother leaving to go to Africa, which resulted in a lot of resentment which continued, literally, for decades.
* OverprotectiveDad: Towards Amy, whom he sees as his little girl.
!!Rose Abbott (Merrilyn Gann)
* HappilyMarried: She has an exemplary marriage with Harold. They are very close. They have brought up two kids and both Rose and Harold consider them their biggest success in their life.
* LetsHaveAnotherBaby: At one point, Rose really starts longing for another child in their family, but she would prefer to adopt one and Harold agrees. She soon finds out she has cancer and her health becomes the primary concern of the family. She survives but is devastated when she finds out that cancer patients/survivors are not likely to adopt a child.
!!Amy Abbott (Emily [=VanCamp=])
* AnnoyingYoungerSibling: She and Bright really care for each other, although they're hardly ever sweet with each other. They do face problems often, mostly because Bright complains about Amy's drama overshadowing him and the close relationship between her and their father.
* DaddysGirl: She and her father are very close and they have a loving and trusting relationship. At least most of the time.
* HairOfGoldHeartOfGold: Amy is very pretty with blond long hair. She's very friendly and a loving daughter, sister, granddaughter and girlfriend.
* ShipperOnDeck: As soon as she finds out her brother likes her best friend, she's thrilled with the idea and supports the relationship.
!!Harold Brighton "Bright" Abbott (Chris Pratt)
* FriendToAllChildren: Although he can be a douchebag, he's quite good with small children.
* HandsomeLech: He's charming and girls at school ''swoon'' over him. He even manages to convince several girls to go with him on the prom simultaneously. However, it later bites him in the butt when he's almost sued for sexual harassment by the woman who felt jilted that he wasn't serious about her. He's also not pleased to realize that women see him as someone who's fun to date, but not a serious guy to settle with.
* JerkJock: In the first half of the first season. He plays football and is the school star.
* JerkWithAHeartOfGold: Like father, like son.
* ShipperOnDeck: Once he befriends Ephram, he heavily supports Ephram's pursuit of Amy and wishes his best friend and sister would date.
* TheUnfavourite: Harold in particular tends to largely relate to Amy, and he's called on it by Rose in the second season, as she felt Harold was 'rewarding' Amy for her bad behaviour and at the same time he didn't trust Bright's abilities ('you're not smart enough!'). Some episodes make a point of having Harold getting closer to Bright.
!!Edna Harper (Debra Mooney)
* BadassBiker: She rides a powerful machine and wears a leather jacket.
* CoolOldLady: She is young in spirit and is a great, cool grandma to
* DecemberDecemberRomance: She falls in love with Irv when they are both of senior age. But they are both young at heart and they just click.
* HappilyMarried: To Irv.
* ParentWithNewParamour: In a flashback it's revealed that Dr Abbott very much disliked the idea of his widowed mother Edna re-marrying.
* WidowWoman: She widowed when her husband and Harrold's father -- also a doctor at Everwood -- died. [[spoiler:She becomes a widow again when Irv dies in the penultimate episode. She is devestated and misses him terribly, but has troubles to owning to her feelings.]]
!!Irv Harper (John Beasley)
Bus driver and narrator of the series.
* DecemberDecemberRomance: He and Edna got together when they were of senior age.
* FirstPersonPeripheralNarrator: He sometimes acts as narrator, but his life is not in the focus of the series.
* HappilyMarried: He and Edna are very happy together, though it's not without a few roadblocks and bumps.
* HiddenDepths: It's revealed he's an aspiring writer and he publishes a successful book.
* MagicalNegro: Downplayed, but he's definitely the wisest character on the show, and has the least amount of baggage.
* WriteWhatYouKnow: In-universe. He writes stories about people he knows.
!!Dr. Linda Abbott (Marcia Cross)
* FieryRedhead: She's red-haired and quite spirited.
* GranolaGirl: She's a doctor who likes alternative medicine like acupuncture and she's into organic food. She also works in third world counties.
* IllGirl: [[spoiler:She's HIV positive. She was infected during her work as a medical doctor in Africa.]]
!!Tommy Callahan (Paul Wesley)
%% * PoisonousFriend
* RomanticFalseLead: Lampshaded several times. Amy acknowledged she was dating him while being fully aware he wasn't the one. In fact, she considered losing her virginity to him ''because'' she thought it'd take the pressure off.
!!Reid Bardem (Justin Baldoni)
A medical student who is Bright's room-mate and Amy's LoveInterest
* DrivenToSuicide: [[spoiler: He swallows some pills and guys find him on the floor in the bathroom. He survives. The reason for his suicide was that he couldn't cope with the workload of studying the medicine and was fired because he cheated on a test.]]
* MrFanservice: Loads of shirtless scenes exhibiting his sixpack abs.
* RomanticFalseLead: Textbook example: Amy had a crush on him in the beginning of Season 4, and dated him very briefly, thus creating tension with Ephram and prolonging the anticipation for their (Amy's and Ephram's) coming back together.
[[folder:Nina Feeney and associates]]
!!Nina Feeney (Stephanie Niznik)
* FirstGirlWins: Textbook example, as she's literally the first woman Andy meets when he moves to Everwood, and she's the one he ultimately falls in love with from late Season 3 until the Series Finale.
* GirlNextDoor: She's a grown-up version, so it's more like a Woman Next Door. She's a wholesome beauty with natural good looks who stayed in her home town.
!!Sam Feeney (Ben Hammond, Jimmy Bennett, Ryan Armstrong)
* CheerfulChild: He's just a boy who is not particularly troubled, even though his parents divorce and it's fairly messy. Nina takes good care of him and tries to protect him as well as she can.
!!Carl Feeney (Dylan Walsh)
* YourCheatingHeart: He cheats on his wife [[spoiler:with a man. Nina is devastated and angry because she had no idea.]]
!!Dr. Jake Hartman (Scott Wolf)
* HospitalHottie: He's a baby-faced doctor.
* RomanticFalseLead: He's in a good, healthy relationship with Nina. Although quite a long-lasting one compared to the average, as he lasts about a season and a half. But they are not meant to be.
!!Hannah Rogers (Sarah Drew)
* TheGlassesGottaGo: Amy makes her wear contact lenses.
* ShipperOnDeck: Amy actually calls her out on that at some point, as Hannah's set on shipping Amy and Ephram during the fourth season.
* SuspiciouslySimilarSubstitute: Averted. While she's basically filling the gap left by Laynie's off-screen departure, a lot more focus is given to her and there's CharacterDevelopment to the point that on Season 4 she's virtually got as much screen time as any starring character except for Andy, Ephram and Amy, which also makes her an EnsembleDarkhorse.
!!Topher Cole (Lukas Behnken)
* AnnoyingLaugh: Lapmshaded when Dr. Abbott gets annoyed at his laugh.
* DoggedNiceGuy: He likes Hannah and they briefly date, but she doesn't love him back.
[[folder:The Hart family]]
!!Colin Hart (Mike Erwin)
* SacrificialLion: He's in coma for half of season 1. Doctor Brown's brilliant mind and magical hands help him, but he's not completely cured. He needs another surgery and he doesn't make it.
!!Laynie Hart (Nora Zehetner)
* PutOnTheBus: She attends a boarding school which conveniently explains her absence.
%%!!Sharon Hart (Nancy Everhard)
!!James Hart (Michael Flynn)
* TheAlcoholic: He drinks. His son's illness and death make him drink much harder.
[[folder:The Hayes family]]
!!Amanda Hayes (Anne Heche)
* SuspiciouslySimilarSubstitute: She's introduced to the series soon after Linda Abbott leaves and has a very similar role as a LoveInterest for Andy. Both relationships were initially opposed by first-degree relatives of both (Deliah and Harold, Deliah and Charlie, respectively) and they both ended soon after they'd started to feel comfortable together and were ready to become public.
* YourCheatingHeart: Her husband is in vegetative state and has little chance of recovering. She starts a love affair with [[spoiler:Andy Brown]].
%%!!John Hayes (Jason Beghe)
%%!!Charlie Hayes (Shane Haboucha)
%%!!Brenda Baxworth (Lee Garlington)
%%!!Thurman Revere (Steve Anderson)
%%!!Page (Katie Millar)
%%!!Martha Thompson (Micaela Nelligan)
%%!!Mr. Jensen (Gordon Johnson)
%%!!Arnie (Brooks Bedore)
%%!!Susie Clark (Haley [=McCormick=])
%%!!Louise (Jan Broberg)
%%!!Kayla (Valerie Welcker)
%%!!Davenport (Jeff Olson)
%%!!Jay (Charlie Weber)
%%!!Dr. Chao (Freda Foh Shen)
%%!!Principal Ackerman (David Downs)
%%!!Coach Austin (Scott Christopher)
%%!!Wendell (Cody McMains)
%%!!Magilla (Bret Loehr)
%%!!Chris Beals (Ben Weber)
%%!!Matthew Lansing (Ian Vogt)
%%!!Dwayne (Adam Clinton)
%%!!Roger Murphy (Steve O'Neill)
%%!!Dan Clark (Bruce Newbold)
%%!!Stephanie Meyer (Luciana Carro)
%%!!Miss Violet (Beth Grant)
%%!!Dr. Donald Douglas (Philip Baker Hall)
%%!!Reverend Keyes (Tim DeKay)
%%!!Laurie Fields (Leslie Hope)
%%!!Marty Maxwell (Robert Peters)