[[caption-width-right:246:Peter Krause as Nick]]
A well-meaning, civic-minded lawyer in his 30s, Nick is a husband, father, and son to the Darling family attorney, Devlin "Dutch" George.
* ParentalAbandonment: His mother left him when he was six.
* GenerationXerox: Though he promised himself he would never follow in his father's footsteps, he is inevitably drawn to the Darling family when his father dies suddenly in a mysterious manner and agrees to be their chief counsel. However, he finds himself becoming more like the Darlings, while his marriage falls apart.
* LongLostRelative: Brian Darling
* LoveTriangle: Lisa and Karen.
* ParentalSubstitute: His close friendship with Tripp.
[[caption-width-right:272:Natalie Zea as Karen]]
The eldest daughter in the Darling family, with four failed marriages under her belt (the fourth didn't even survive the reception). She possesses an MBA from Columbia University, as well as running the family's charitable foundation.
* ChildhoodMarriagePromise: Nick and Karen were romantically involved at one point in time when they were younger (she lost her virginity to him). Nick proposed to Karen while holidaying in Italy when they were both 19. They never ended up getting married, which Nick & Karen both regret, because the latter always thought she would end up his wife.
* GenerationXerox: Had a LOT in common with Letitia, mainly their love for the George men.
* HoneyTrap: She later begins a relationship with Simon Elder so she can spy for her father, but ends up forming slight feelings for him, alienating her from the rest of her family.