* ButtMonkey: Austria is trapped between Germany, Russia, Italy and Turkey, and right next to contested Supply Points. Austria tends to die early.
* CrouchingMoronHiddenBadass: If Austria can survive the first few years, it can become a potent force (even more likely with a competent player).
* CoolShip: England tends to be geared toward a naval strategy.
* TheRepublic: The only Great Power whose head of state is not royalty, as the video game version points out.
* GlassCannon: If Germany can team up with England or France, he's got a solid chance of victory. However, everyone but Turkey can attack him in 1901.
* StoneWall: Italy is the most difficult country to eliminate, thanks to it being a peninsula (along with the fact that, assuming similar sizes, Turkey is the only country that could realistically challenge Italian naval power in the Mediterranean) and impassible Switzerland making the only land route in difficult. These same features also makes Italy the most difficult country to expand with.
* HeterosexualLifePartners: with Turkey
* [[RussianGuySuffersMost Russian Guy Suffers Second Most]]: Surprisingly, Russia is statistically the second-most likely country to be eliminated after Austria. Possible reasons include being near four other powers like Austria (England, Germany, Austria, Turkey), its fourth piece (the second fleet) being unable to cross theaters (between Scandinavia and the Balkans) and so cannot support an all out effort, and psychological pressure from being by far the largest country on the board physically (Moscow, St. Petersburg, and Sevastopol especially) which can scare others into ganging up on it.
* WeHaveReserves: Russia starts with one piece more then other
* HeterosexualLifePartners: with Russia
** This references the infamous "Juggernaut" strategy. This has received criticism of late for being easily predicted and having too much advantage toward Russia for it to be a good deal for Turkey