[[caption-width-right:350: All hail Ramin Djawadi! The Khal of Khals!]]
[[folder: Season 1]]
* The [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7L2PVdrb_8 opening]] for ''Series/GameOfThrones''. Awesome music plus ClockPunk SceneryPorn equals win.
* [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zpln5JiK5nc Goodbye, brother.]]
* [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0lwUOfzDO8 "Such a small pack of wolves."]]
* Pretty much every [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u2jhA3R3sE piece]] from the Season 1 denouement, Catelyn's ultimatum, Robb's crowning, Daenerys smothering her comatose husband, Jon's honour, The Night's Watch heading out in force to the Land of Forever Winter and the burning of Mirri Maz Dur on Drogo's funeral pyre.
* The [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD_UGFF2TgI Finale]] of Season 1 (carrying into the end credits), featuring Dany and [[spoiler: the [[TheMagicComesBack return]] of dragons to the world]]. The strains of the opening theme for the show at different points just makes it more awesome.
[[folder: Season 2]]
* How do you end the first episode of Season 2? [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl9eFN5vtSM With this.]]
* [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUJZa2DeTMk "Warrior of Light"]], the theme of Stannis and Melisandre. In a creepy, ominous way.
* Theon's [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3vbjHdl-KM sea water baptism to the Drowned god.]]
* "A man's theme is [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfzdEnQFyGc awesome]]."
* [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-OnuOC2yQ8 "Pay the Iron Price."]] Should you ever hear this music start playing, you can be certain that whatever character is the focus of the scene at the time has just made the absolute '''worst''' mistake of his life.
* The beautiful love theme [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxmyVxu5jAs "I am Hers, She is Mine"]]
* "They want to play music? Alright, let's play. [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps7cyB9zBAc Drums.]]"
* Stannis is coming, [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAPHx-lm3LM don't die with a clean sword!]]
* "[[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLDYKmPyKzE Stand and fight]]! Stand and fight, damn you! [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQUI9P0ZDIY NOOOOOOOO!!!"]]
* The Lannisters' anthem, [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECewrAld3zw The Rains of Castamere]], by the National. It's heard throughout the second season from Tyrion whistling it to Lannister soldiers singing it in bars 'til it's finally heard in all its glory in the closing credits of [[Recap/GameOfThronesS2E9Blackwater Blackwater]].
* Awesomeness and [[TearJerker tearjerking]] alike can be found in [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpsYmZvYKHU House of the Undying]].
* [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpEo3hGAz0o Mother of Dragons]]. Slayer of Lies.
* "[[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH-a1TMQacE Three Blasts]]", as the White Walkers [[ZombieApocalypse march on the Wall]]. Well, goodbye to sleeping anytime soon.
[[folder: Season 3]]
* "Reek, [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnStnJHJx0Y Reek...]] It rhymes with weak..."
* The Hold Steady's version of "The Bear and the Maiden Fair" had polarizing views. Not so with Ms. Reynolds [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNg8FJIFkj8 version!]] Then there's the [[Recap/GameOfThronesS3E3WalkOfPunishment episode's]] own in-universe rendition with Music/SnowPatrol's lead vocalist Gary Lightbody [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPA0BmlNd20 leading the Bolton contingent in belting out the ribald song!]]
-->'''Daenerys:''' "Dovaogēdys! Āeksia ossēnātās, menti ossēnātās, qilōni pilos lue vale tolvie ossēnātās, yn riņe dōre ōdrikātās. Urnet luo buzdaro tolvio belma pryjātās!"
-->'''Kraznyz:''' "Nyk skan jiva aeske! Zer sena! Zer sena!"
-->'''Daenerys:''' [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfWLBhqhQZs "...Dracarys."]]
* The piece that plays during the end of [[Recap/GameOfThronesS3E4AndNowHisWatchIsEnded "And Now His Watch is Ended"]], just after [[spoiler: Daenerys sacks Astapor]] is an excellent DarkReprise of the piece that plays when the dragons are born. This shit just got real [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KiYIsUZC6E indeed.]]
* This haunting un-aired piece of amazing music, the track [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkTMG-MEFTs 'Dark Wings, Dark Words.']] Chills, man, chills...
* The gorgeous tentative ballad, [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBGHSJBH7Gw "It's Always Summer Under the Sea"]], sung by Kerry Ingram's Shireen Baratheon.
* Littlefinger's [[BreakingSpeech breaking speech]] music. [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D9L1BXPAeE "Chaos is a Ladder."]] Made infinitely more awesome when you realise that it's a DarkReprise of Joffrey's "The Throne Is Mine", the DarkReprise of "Robert Baratheon's theme". Which means that Littlefinger just somehow made a villain song even ''more'' villainous!
* [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epnW-Ub5bEE "Jamie... My name is Jamie..." ]]
* A small but heart-rending [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QflCzFvUPB0 piece]] that plays as Robb and Catelyn arrive back at the Twins.
* The instrumental version of "[[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OolU7f-r5o4 The Rains of Castamere]]" - iconic enough that it became Season 3's semi-official theme song (as in it plays on the Menu for the Blu-ray release).
** The version that's played during Jaime's rescue of Brienne is called "[[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTuhpJBBvCc A Lannister Always Pays His Debts]]". Who'd think a song about the Lannisters butchering an entire family could actually be made to sound so oddly heroic?
* [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6tkcSvX_yY "The Lannisters send their regards".]] The notes punctuating this event event made for the true, terrible power of the Red Wedding.
* [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t987p0f9y54 Mhysa]]. A powerful, epic reprise of Daenerys's theme, complete with [[OminousLatinChanting Ominous Valyrian Chanting]].
[[folder: Season 4]]
* Ramin Djawadi's score returns in force for the season's first episode, "Two Swords". In the opening the audience is treated to a melancholic rendition of the Stark leitmotif that gradually shifts into a strong orchestral variation of "The Rains of Castamere" as House Stark's ancestral greatsword 'Ice' is melted down and reforged into two Lannister swords by Tywin, which then neatly transitions into the series' Main Theme and the opening title sequence.
* At the end of the episode, as Arya and the Hound emerge victorious from a brutal tavern fight with Lannister loot and are travelling across a [[SceneryGorn war-ravaged Riverlands]] towards the Vale, a remixed variation of the Main Theme plays well into the end credits, which shortly transitions into a TriumphantReprise string variant of [[CallBack Jaqen H'ghar's theme]] [[FridgeBrilliance "Valar Morghulis"]].
* From the credits of "The Lion and the Rose", Music/SigurRos' eerie cover of [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3QW8PVyyNM The Rains of Castamere.]] In comparison to the proud, victorious cover by The National, this version would be more apt for a funeral--perfectly symbolizing the Lannisters' new fate. Rome may not have fallen in a day, but the Lannisters did in a wedding. Even more awesome? The beginning sounds chillingly like [[LaserGuidedKarma wolves howling.]]
* Daenerys' conquest of [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE7czS0FdXM Meereen.]] With special mention to the second half of the song, which plays over [[spoiler: the slave masters being crucified.]]
* The instrumental rendition of [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QiDD_20bsM Rains of Castamere]] that plays during the credits of "The Laws of Gods and Men" after Tyrion's ''epic'' TheReasonYouSuckSpeech and demand for a trial by combat, in an upbeat tone suggesting that Tyrion hasn't been defeated yet and still has hope; doubly awesome because it plays after Tyrion finally outright defies his father, symbolically claiming the leitmotif as his own.
* In "Mockingbird":
** "Winterfell theme" makes a heartwarming return when Sansa plays in the snow.
** "Chaos is a Ladder", more chilling than ever, shines during the final credits right after Littlefinger makes Lysa fly.
** In "The Mountain and The Viper", the "Winterfell Theme" and "Chaos is a Ladder" are mixed to create the truly chilling "Take Charge of Your Life" to portray Sansa willingly becoming Littlefinger's [[TheDragon Dragon.]]
* [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjpUZD7jBJk "The Biggest Fire The North Has Ever Seen"]]. Starts out slow and menacing, and builds slowly but steadily to a pounding climax, as Jon sees Mance's fire and the signal for his army to attack the Wall.
* In "The Watchers on the Wall", [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8jyQwUemNM "Let's kill some crows"]] is ''menacing''.
* [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoPnrbKOEl8 "Breaker of Chains".]] Such ''feels.'' Poor Rhaegal and Viserion. Given the scene in which it plays (Daenerys chaining her dragons), the title of the song is highly ironic.
* [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JYKNqvsbKw "The Children",]] the track for the final scene of the season finale which plays when Arya leaves Westeros on a small ship heading for the free city of Braavos.
* [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzfbTWpoZYA "You Are No Son of Mine"]], the DarkReprise of "The Rains of Castamere" that plays over Tyrion's murder of Tywin.
[[folder: Season 5]]
* While things in Meereen yet again take a turn for the worse, the return of Drogon marks a glimmer of hope for Daenerys. And if the music playing over their reunion didn't tug at your heartstrings enough, the credits top this with the [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwUQw456mSU most triumphant rendition]] of Daenerys' theme we've heard yet. It gets played again over the credits of [[WhamEpisode episode 9]].
* [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNALErFd5Bs "Kill the Boy"]] can be heard when Jon channels Ned and Robb Stark [[spoiler: and gives Janos Slynt a clean death by beheading.]]
* The theme of the [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXOrOBPV-CU Faith Militant]], which also plays over the end credits of the episode 'Sons of the Harpy'. It [[OminousLatinChanting perfectly highlights]] what a [[BlatantLies peaceful and tolerant]] religious order they are...
* Episode 6 introduces a [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar44YS1LlSk new, haunting theme of the Faceless Men]] when Arya wanders around the Hall of Faces for the first time.
* The sound design for episode 8, "Hardhome", deserves a mention. From the [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY8Y6yp4yPM ticking clock sounds as the mists set]] to the incredibly tense music during the fight, and the way [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5JqkHuDvr8 the sound cuts out at times during the scene with the child wights]], the episode is a marvel for the sound department.
* [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imNmJht5iNE "Dance of Dragons"]] kicks in when [[spoiler: Drogon arrives in Daznak's Pit to save Daenerys, kills the Sons of the Harpy and then takes off with her on his back.]] Bonus points for including two of the best House Targaryen themes ("Dracarys" and "Breaker of Chains").
* HBO is great at finding true alternative pop music gems for the season trailers:
** [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl3vgPjKmUo Seven Devils]] by Music/FlorenceAndTheMachine for Season Two's debut trailer.
** Season Three's fantastic debut trailer music, the anthem [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XybgKnfVCTE Bones]] by Music/MsMr.
** Season Four continues the tradition with [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwT3DIIXWNA Feral Love]] by Music/ChelseaWolfe.
*** More than one great piece for this year! Including: [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUKyEhbxhjw Cities in Dust]] by The Everlove, for the second trailer; 'Vengeance'.
*** For the fourth final trailer: [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3_I-5o8e2Q The Devil Inside]] by London Grammar.
** The Season Five trailer has a reworked low-key cover of Creator/DavidBowie's "Heroes". [[SuspiciouslyAproposMusic "I will be King. You will be Queen. We can be Heroes, just for one day."]] The second trailer has [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3onv6buEt4 Rather Death Than Slavery]] from ''VideoGame/AssassinsCreedUnity''.
** A little known TV spot for Season Five used the epic [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5BR_TqWYrc Dark Doo Wop]] by a familiar artist to scoring Thrones' trailers, Music/MsMr. The world's gonna burn in dragon-fire.
* The [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDdhXbiN1CM obligatory metal cover]] of the opening theme. Of course it's awesome.
** [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yydcG9woWA And this all-violin cover]]. Holy SHIT.
** It was only a matter of time 'til [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OWQXQgHgq8 someone mashed these versions together]], and it is ''amazing''.
** You've seen the violin and metal cover, now watch Break of Reality's [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydRAb9cwHnA cello ensemble cover]].
** Having heard the above mentioned, check out Karliene Reynold's version [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAsCt4GF6WU with self-composed lyrics]].
* The [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moZExve-AeQ metal version]] of the Lannisters' anthem.
** Karliene also has a version of the Lannister song, an almost terribly sad rendition. As if being sung by Reyne or Stark survivors...
-->[[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l7wzOaODYQ "The rains fall down, yes the rains fall down, on Lord of Castamere..."]]
* In fact, why not ''all'' of Karliene's excellent work with the ballads in Martin's universe:
** [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB_T7Y0jhvw Sansa's Hymn to the Mother.]]
** [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4cqcinpbvw The Last of the Giants.]]
** [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SogjdgwYy9c My Featherbed.]]
** [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQNrTv0u0Qo The Dornishman's Wife.]]
** [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX0S7PhDpcA Let it End.]]
** [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_alO42jYmo The Song of the Seven.]]
** [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lwyhfnPlog Dragon Queen.]]
* [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P38EG97zlOg "Where My Boats At"]] and its [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P38EG97zlOg remix]] in all their Daenerys Targaryen Season Two rage.
* [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMvt13PtV5I 'The Dragon's Daughter']] tribute remix by Melodysheep.
* [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6AQreUUyVE 'Sansa's Hymn']] by Letomi. A very haunting cover.
* HBO commissioned a hip-hop mixtape for the Season 4 premiere featuring the likes of Wale, Common, and Big Boi, and it is [[https://soundcloud.com/catchthethrone glorious!]]
* [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOQsYk8cbnE The Halfman's Song]] by MiracleOfSound has an excellent medieval-y sound that could be a ballad straight from the books.
** And now we have the haunting [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDt3jeXGfDU When Winter Comes]].