* A lot of the ''Manga/DeathNote'' soundtrack (particularly the OminousLatinChanting tracks), one of these being [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiGDtI5UI4I Domine Kira]].
* Also, [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPF3vj2r9jE Death Note Theme]] is just as awesome, maybe even more. By the way, this is a fragment of ''[[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dies_Irae Dies Irae]]'', and this hymn also inspired many other great pieces of music, including [[Creator/WolfgangAmadeusMozart Mozart's]] Requiem. The few times we hear it in its entirety in the anime, it's always chilling. The most memorable is when Higuchi is finally put into a corner, and you realize that he's utterly ''fucked''. It starts off with the OminousLatinChanting as the police blockade the highway, gets a bit more intense when it's revealed that Aizawa and Ide organized it without L's orders, reaches the peak of its crescendo when L turns the spotlight from his helicopter on Higuchi, and ends with Higuchi spinning out and ending up with his back against a literal wall.
* [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvnjIEThU-U L's theme.]] So what if it's similar to "[[TubularBells Tubular]] [[Film/TheExorcist Bells]]"? That subtracts ''nothing''.
** [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlGUYT_zk5o L's Theme B.]] Yes, L has multiple themes. This one adds a somewhat playful spin to the original "Tubular Bells" Expy that he had before. And then someone called Eshmasesh went and remixed it into something [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8Eb33Fw3iI even more awesome.]]
** L's other themes include [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmC7y-oN84Q L no Kabe]]. And [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b2c6Vq7SyY L no Shisou]]. Also, [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zb1LqV-zyk L no Nakama]].
* And [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYhLlz5bK6c this]], which plays practically every episode.
** For a series that relies heavily on old-style rock/slow rock and epic Latin chanting, there is still a hidden gem that could only be described as [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzYVxDUUGTk sunset, calmness, and love]].
* [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJW_ldC7sUA Near's Theme]] and [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuYTEhywjIk Mello's Theme]] are simply brilliant, like L's.
** A little bonus Awesome: play Near's Theme and L's first theme at the same time. The themes compliment each other well and seem to echo at times, the way L and Near echo each other.
* [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMitdAheRc0 Requiem]] is not a ''happy'' piece, but it is gorgeous, and the lyrics and harmonies and language and everything just encapsulate the scene so ''perfectly''.
* The two [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkXw1iBgzoY opening]] [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGQAjAjsZNo themes]] are all kinds of awesome, especially the second one. [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkzunNYOXzw What's Up People!]] is quite likely the most metal and hardcore anime opening to date. With its opening whispers it turns into a roar of power that would rip the ears off of anyone expecting a radio friendly j-pop song. It then proceeds to laugh mercilessly as it bleeds them out culminating with a series of frantic screams that leave you grasping for air. Maximum The Hormone somehow managed to make Death Note more badass. That deserves a fucking medal.
* Though [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiTF03CjKlk some]] [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAdAczycjBk people]] seem to find the first one just as, if not even more, epic.
** The endings to each season reflect Light Yagami's state of mind at that point in the series. [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhgwSyRmAb8 The first]] emphasizes Light's descent into darkness. [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgSvC57OCG8 The second]] is about the ascension of Kira to God, as well as [[spoiler:foreshadowing his eventual downfall]].
* [[http://www.adultswim.com/video/?episodeID=8a25c392193796c30119399d806000e5 "God Is Watching You"]], especially in the scene it appears in. (The Japanese version is quite good as well)
* From Episode 25, [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObgBVeJxcdk Semblance of Dualism.]] It's the song that plays at ''that'' time.
** Also plays at that ''other'' time in Episode 24, JustAsPlanned.
* [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZYcApRm318 "From this moment on...I'll show you the creation of the new world."]]
* Then there's [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCy8plltJU0 Light's Performance]]. Take [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TquD8Cei0qA his original theme]], reduce it to base elements, grow it up and darken it, layering the same base melody over itself again and again and again and ... It's so simple, but becomes increasingly complex as it goes, and it's ominous and cold and wonderful.
* All of the theme songs for L, Mello, Near, and even Mikami. They only play when a blow is being struck against Kira, whether or not any of the characters realize it at the time. Think about it. L's is played when he's first introduced, a blow against Kira. Near and Mello's, and again, even Mikami's introductions led to Kira's [[spoiler:eventual downfall]]. And then, every time you hear their music, they're doing something that could potentially catch Kira. Even though Mikami [[spoiler:was Kira's proxy, and even God's Right Hand]], his introduction was so public that Near was able to take advantage of him, and besides [[spoiler:he was the catalyst that brought Kira down]].
* [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmQNeCqBPXE Kyrie 2]]. It's the first thing you hear in Death Note, and it perfectly sets the tone of the world as it is before the events of the series begin, in the rotting worlds of the shinigami and humans.
* [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSMBdTz3JdI Matt's Theme]] is pretty cool, [[OneSceneWonder despite it being about 3x longer]] [[WeHardlyKnewYe than his actual screen time.]]
* [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIRCNncNYV0 Hesitation]], one of the lesser known soundtracks, is written quite cleverly. If you listen to it, there are constant rhythms which just repeat over and over again, which adds suspense. Also, it sounds a bit like a clock ticking, like you're waiting for something - hence the name Hesitation. The moments where it builds up to something then drops back to normal are also really good at sticking to the name, because it's like you're about to do something, but you hesitate and the opportunity is gone. It's pretty clever.
* [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_cMRdE06Rc Shinigami World B]] Smooth and deep.