''For awesome moments in the source novel and other adaptations, see [[Awesome/CharlieAndTheChocolateFactory here.]]''
* Grandpa Joe resolving to give up tobacco, even with Mrs. Bucket discouraging him. (Keep in mind, this was made at the turn of TheSeventies.)
* When Mr. Wonka reveals the Chocolate Room to the tour group: it's a vibrantly colorful wonderland that the camera and score treat with a quiet, respectful awe. And suddenly there's Mr. Wonka's voiceover: "Hold your breath. Make a wish. Count to three," which leads into the lovely, haunting, joyful musical number "Pure Imagination". The way he keeps holding the group back as they progress down the stairs, the little punchline involving the buttercup...
* Violet Beauregarde decides she's had enough of Veruca's crap and snaps at her when the latter is whining that she wants an Oompa-Loompa NOW. This is the only time anyone tells Veruca off to her face, and what's more, it leaves her ''in stunned silence!''
* Charlie is sometimes accused of being a PinballProtagonist, but in this adaptation at least he actually tries to help the others when they're in trouble.
** He holds out the giant lollipop for Augustus to grab when the latter is drowning. It may not be all that awesome, but at least he actually tries to help. (And he's the first to notice that Augustus is too close to the river.)
** When the tour is done, he asks Mr. Wonka not about his prize, but about what will become of the other kids.
** His choice to [[spoiler: refuse to sell the Everlasting Gobstopper to Slugworth, even though he's been led to believe that it will lift him and his family out of poverty]].
* A bit of a meta-example: in the '''[[MemeticMutation "YOU GET NOTHING! YOU LOSE! GOOD DAY, SIR!"]]''' scene, the look of shock on Charlie's face is [[EnforcedMethodActing completely genuine. Gene Wilder never told anyone just how furious he was going to act in that scene.]] Damn, that's good acting!
* Grandpa Joe angrily calling out Mr. Wonka [[spoiler: for not giving Charlie his lifetime supply of chocolate over stealing the Fizzy Lifting Drinks]].