* Prefacing this with: anything Eugenides does, ever.
* Gen taking on the [[spoiler: whole Queen's Guard]] and ''winning''. [[spoiler:Even when one of them turned out to be trying to kill him]], he hardly thought of him as a threat at all!
* The following exchange. And even better is the attendants' reactions.
-->'''Attolia:'''[[spoiler: Ninety-eight days. You said it would take six months.]]
-->'''Euginides:'''[[spoiler: I like to give myself a margin when I can.]]
* The entire first book is revealed as one for Gen. Not only has he managed to retrieve [[spoiler: Hamiathes' gift]] for [[spoiler: his cousin, the Queen of Eddis]], but it's revealed that the entire book was [[spoiler: his plan to make sure Eddis wouldn't have to marry Sounis]]. Even better, it becomes clear on rereading that he has never once outright lied.
* ''Conspiracy of Kings'': The new king of Sounis has to be elected by the council of barons. Sophos gives an impassioned speech about uniting with Eddis and Attolia against the Mede threat, cooperation, and other such things that cast him as a WideEyedIdealist to a bunch of hard, cynical men... so they vote him down, and the Mede ambassador gloats appropriately by asking if he ''really'' expected that to work. "Not on the ''first'' vote," says Sophos. [[spoiler:And then he ''shoots'' the ambassador. The barons immediately vote him in as king.]]