[[caption-width-right:350:''"The Force is with you, young Skywalker... but you are not a Jedi yet."'']]
While the sheer impact that this franchise has had on pop culture over the last fourty years (and counting) is a MomentOfAwesome in and of itself, this page is not about that. This is a list of awesome moments within the ''StarWars'' films. See '''[[Awesome/StarWarsExpandedUniverse here]]''' for its new [[Franchise/StarWarsExpandedUniverse Expanded Universe]]. See also ''Awesome/StarWarsLegends'' for the original EU.
Works with their own pages:
!All films in general
* Why of course, the most iconic part of the franchise: The lightsaber. It's a sword... but it's also a laser! Or blaster. Or a plasma weapon, depending on which version of canon you ask.
** The hissing, buzzing hum the blades make as they swing or even stand ready, and the loud cracklings when they strike each other. ''Star Wars'' just wouldn't be complete without them. In a sort of meta CMOA, the sounds were created by Ben Burtt ''breaking all the rules'' for film sound, which state that buzz and hum are ''bad'' things, but he'd found a microphone of his with a damaged wire made a ''really cool'' buzz and hum when it was near other electronics, and thought that sound was good enough it had to be useful somewhere. It gave voice to the lightsaber, and made the weapons really stand out as something unique.
* The StarWars franchise is a prime example of BigBadassBattleSequence in any work pretending to the title of TheEpic. Every movie manages to give the audience an idea of the sheer scale of what's happening in the galaxy by mixing all kinds of battles in every movie, going from [[SwordFight Lightsaber Fights between the main characters]], to shooutouts between squads of soldiers, to battles between entire armies, and finally the SpaceBattle between two fleets. A reminder that all the main characters are part of an universe really bigger than any of them, but also that even within the immensity of the war around them, these same characters will decide the fate of a whole galaxy.
* "So this is how liberty dies... to thunderous applause." Totally Amidala's moment.
** Amidala had a lot of moments. She and Han Solo were basically the only people who did not have the Force and were still able to keep up with - and sometimes beat - the Jedi and Sith showing off all over the place. Remember the moment in the arena in II where she ''unlocked her own chains and climbed onto the top of the pole''. Awesome.
* Force Lightning. While now it is an impressive but fairly standard addition to the ''Star Wars'' list of abilities, think back to ''Return of the Jedi'', where the Emperor has been shown to be a thoroughly evil being but nothing more than an emaciated old man who requires a cane to walk. Then he calmly tells Luke "You will be ''destroyed''", raises his arms, and ''shoots bolts of electricity from his fingers''. It's the Dark Side equivalent of Yoda levitating Luke's X-Wing, showing a small glimpse of the true power of the Force, except instead of being inspiring it's utterly terrifying.
** Reversed wonderfully during Yoda's battle with Dooku when Dooku tries it and Yoda catches it, squeezes it into a little ball and makes it go bye-bye.
*** Yoda doesn't squeeze it, he catches it, then reverses it. THREE TIMES - twice for Dooku, once for Palpatine. The first one for Dooku, he reverses. The second one he catches, squeezes into a little ball and then '''casually extinguishes it by closing his hand''':
---> '''Yoda:''' Much to learn, you still have.
** Also it was shown being deflected for the first time in Attack of the Clones by Obi Wan. "I don't think so."
** Mace Windu takes it one step further by ''blocking it with his lightsaber and '''deflecting''' it back at Palpatine''.
*** Sorta done by Yoda in his fight with Palpatine. Totally done in the alternate ending: [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mgl_DU7inEk]]
* In a crossover with the Crowning Music indexes, the endings of Episodes II, III, and IV. Episode IV has the Force Theme rearranged in the Throne Room scene. Episode II has, after two movies of teasing, the first prolific use of the Imperial March and it's utterly awesome with the foreshadowing. Finally Episode III is awesome because of the bookend: first Leia's theme, then the Force Theme comes back full writ to recreate the famous Binary Sunset scene and it's a brilliant send off for the final film in the prequel trilogy.
** Second the conclusion to episode II. Hearing the Imperial March strangle the Republic Theme was incredible, because up until that point, Yoda's just doing his vaguely insightful shtick. Upon hearing the new mix, it's clear that the Republic's victory is unbelievably hollow, leading directly toward fascism.
** Would you believe Crowning Sound Effect of Music? The last portion of the end titles for Episode I is accompanied by Anakin's theme, which mixes a somewhat youthful melody with allusions to Darth Vader's Theme (ending with the latter). Somewhat unsettling on its own, in a minor key, with a slight rest before the last note. And with the last note, a... very familiar raspy breath. Chills down the spine.
*** And the ending of Episode II would have originally contained the Across the Stars love theme, Anakin' theme from episode 1, and the Imperial March, in the last few bars of the credits (see the soundtrack CD for detail). Why this was removed is a complete mystery.
** Creator/JamesEarlJones' voice is its own Moment of Awesome. Yes, he sounds like he does in other films, but his voice is perfect for calmly talking down to incompetent officers and uppity rebels, issuing commands and threats... It's just perfect.
* R2-D2 is a little badass who deserves more love. How many times has has saved the heroes' bacon by calmly fiddling with some [[PlayfulHacker computer]] [[EverythingIsOnline components]], usually while ''all'' of the shit is exploding around him? Three examples stand out: Shutting down the compacter in ''Film/ANewHope'', fixing the hyperdrive on the ''Falcon'' in ''Film/TheEmpireStrikesBack'' and helping Anakin and Obi-Wan on General Grievous' flagship while dealing with [[MechaMook two B2 super battle droids]] ''on his own''.
** In his very first canon appearance in ''Film/ThePhantomMenace'', had he not saved the protagonists, the whole saga would've ended right there.
* Wedge is a walking, flying CrowningMomentOfAwesome- not only does he survive the Battles of Yavin, Hoth & Endor, all three of which were brutal to the Rebel headcount, but consistently flew rings around the other pilots, saving Luke at least twice, dropping an AT-AT, surviving two attack runs, etc... And he did it all without any voodoo "Force" powers- he's just THAT Awesome.
** "Blast it, Biggs, where are you?" shortly before Wedge saves Luke with a head-to-head shoot down of the TIE behind Luke.
** "I'm already on my way out".
** If we went meta, sending his nephew back/forward in time to become Luke's mentor.
** Look at his performance over [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGMvadAFqLQ Endor]]. You ''could'' say that his [[CasualDangerDialogue calm demeanor]] is bad acting, or - like Wedge fans and most of the StarWarsExpandedUniverse - you could say that he's got [[HoldYourHippogriffs cold-space lubricants for blood]] and is very, ''very'' practiced. Considering that in his first appearance he sounded more nervous...
* Any time [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YatFEG41_GI Duel of the Fates]] starts up, you know some awesome stuff is about to go down.
* If you haven't yet watched [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6im4BocgR0 Art of the Saber]], go do so, and weep.
* While [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esUnYDeoW6s this]] may not be as impressive a battle as some of the previously mentioned fanworks, it has one quote that is truly badass.
-->[[spoiler: Darth Vader]]: You believe you know the dark side? ''I'' am the dark side!
* Well, if we're mentioning fanworks, then we ''gotta'' bring up ''Webcomic/DarthsAndDroids'', simply for making Jar-Jar ''likable''.
* [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZM4Hkw5CPk Concrete Hustle]], in all it's glory.
* The Brotherhood of Shadow mod for VideoGame/KnightsOfTheOldRepublic. Full voicing, an incredible plot, three recruitable characters. Playable flashbacks to the raid on Mandalore's ship, the Star Forge hunt, the and Battle of Taris. A wonderful AntiVillain for your antagonist, RedemptionEqualsDeath, ThePowerOfLove... it's the king of Game Mods.
* The Star Wars [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBzRmWeC6Ds Radio Play]], which is performed by some of the voice acting industry's finest actors.
* [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tBM2ZfncoU This fan video]], while only a work in progress, is still something to behold. It's an anime-styled rendition of [[TheBadGuyWins an Imperial fleet destroying a Rebel force]], paying homage to classic Star Wars games like TIE Fighter while perfectly capturing the style of oldschool traditional animation.
** [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN_CP4SuoTU And then it was finished.]] Keep in mind, all the animation was done by ''one guy''.
* The Star Wars video of the hit song "Call Me Maybe" by Music/CarlyRaeJepsen. It's awesome because it has the cast's lines used for the lyrics.
* Gak Attack and [=Team2X=]'s team up, [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF9Qk6m_b74 Jedi Ninjas]]
* The Fall of the Jedi Trilogy of Prequel fanedits gets this for [[ItWasHisSled keeping all Original Trilogy spoilers hidden]], so far the only one to do this. Not only that, but Padme lives at the end of Revenge of the Sith.