* [[spoiler:Cyber]] Sub-Zero beating both Goro and Kintaro in a handicap match.
* [[SuperCop Stryker]] taking on [[spoiler:Reptile, Mileena, Kintaro, and Ermac]] all in a row and WINNING!
* Liu Kang [[spoiler: defeating Shao Kahn after the later killed Kung Lao by punching him right through his chest.]]
* Shao Kahn's speech at the intro; atop a pyramid surrounded by the bodies of dead Kombatants, he delivers an extremely BadassBoast as he delivers a NoHoldsBarredBeatdown to Raiden about how he has won, and it marks TheEndOfTheWorldAsWeKnowIt. [[spoiler: The CallBack at the end of the game suggests he had the speech planned out years in advance, and it shows.]]
* Kung Lao singlehandedly taking out the duo of [[spoiler: [[VideoGame/MortalKombatDeadlyAlliance Shang Tsung and Quan Chi]]]]. Keep in mind that in the original timeline, those two mopped up Kung Lao ''and'' his companions. Furthermore, Kung Lao bests [[spoiler: Kintaro]] immediately afterwards.
* Raiden charging at [[spoiler:Motaro]], knocking him through a bridge and into the river below. [[spoiler: It's revealed shortly after that this killed Motaro, [[ForWantOfANail kickstarting the biggest]] WhamEpisode [[ForWantOfANail of the story.]]]]
* A RealLife one - the game sold well enough that it ''made back the money WarnerBros spent purchasing the Midway assets in the first place''.
** Even better: [[http://www.computerandvideogames.com/323255/golden-joysticks-2011-mortal-kombat-tops-capcom-in-best-fighting-game/ the game won the award for Best Fighting Game at the Golden Joysticks 2011.]] ''[[TakeThat Over]]'' [[VideoGame/StreetFighterIV Capcom's]] [[VideoGame/MarvelVsCapcom3 offerings]].
** The game actually got awarded best fighting game of the year in an Australian gaming magazine [[BannedInChina despite being banned there.]] That's how well-received it was.
*** Even better: thanks to the new R-18+ rating for games, as of May 1, 2013, MK9 has been un-banned from the land down under. But we don't get the normal game, oh no: ''[[SoCoolItsAwesome we get the Komplete Edition.]]''
* In the finale, [[spoiler:a rejuvenated Raiden channels the power of the Elder Gods and kills Shao Kahn, possibly for good.]]
* Sindel [[spoiler:slaughtering most of the heroes without breaking a sweat. Really sets the tone for the finale, a warning that things are going to be VERY different.]]
* Sub-Zero's ladder ending where he and Scorpion ''[[BackToBackBadasses join forces]]'' to easily defeat the Lin Kuei who murdered both of their families, and proceed to basically become TheDreaded for anyone who kills the innocent. People have wanted to see something like this for a while, and now they did.
* After [[spoiler: Raiden accidentally kills Liu Kang, and Shao Kahn steps onto Earthrrealm in triumph,]] Johnny and Sonya decide they are going to go down fighting. [[spoiler: Fortunately, they survive.]]
* The reveal trailer for the [=PS3=] version's guest fighter is awesome itself. It shows Scorpion and Sub-Zero fighting as Shao Kahn watches. Scorpion gets the upper hand and Shao Kahn orders him to finish Sub-Zero off. Just before Scorpion can, however, another blade impales Sub-Zero from behind and drags him off screen. Scorpion watches this new challenger approach... And it's none other than the Ghost of Sparta himself, [[VideoGame/GodOfWar Kratos]], brandishing his Blades of Chaos as he prepares to do battle with Scorpion.
** And the reveal trailer for the final DLC character. It shows Sub-Zero, Scorpion, Quan-Chi, and Kano's intros as they stare at an unknown opponent. Then in a blaze of fire, [[Franchise/ANightmareOnElmStreet Freddy Krueger appears, letting out an evil laugh.]] The trailer shows off several of his attacks, some of which are based on his most famous kills throughout the Nightmare on Elm Street films. Special mention goes to his fatalities, based on the ways he killed people from the [[LudicrousGibs first]] and [[KillItWithFire fourth]] films.
* Just the fact that this game propelled the MK series into the competitive scene is already a fucking amazing achievement. Seeing it standing up there with the likes of Street Fighter and Marvel vs Capcom is really something the guys at Netherrealm should be proud of. Granted it died down quickly, but still.