* Emperor Mateus in ''VideoGame/FinalFantasyII''. When you finally face the BigBad on his throne room, the boss fight is depressingly easy. A good party ends up killing him rather quickly. Then the Dark Knight steps forward, and you think that the Emperor was a TrickBoss, and that Dark Knight was the ManBehindTheMan. [[spoiler:But then the Emperor reappears on his throne, in a new [[OneWingedAngel monstrous]] form. Turns out that he died and went to Hell... and then ''took it over!'']]
** [[spoiler: Then, of course, the party scores a collective moment when the literally go to Hell and back to beat the Emperor.]]
** Let's not forget: [[spoiler:The Emperor didn't just take over Hell. His "light" side went to Heaven...and ''took over Heaven as well!'']]
* In the GBA and PSP remake, [[spoiler:all the dead party members go to Heaven, and beat the light half of the Emperor! (Yup, the Emperor is so bad that even his GOOD side was evil!)]]
** Minwu [[spoiler:earns himself Ultima, the ultimate magic that he had died to unseal.]]
** [[spoiler: Minwu and the other fallen heroes also get one when they refuse to be persuaded by the "reformed" Emperor and [[WhoWantsToLiveForever refuse his offer of immortality.]]]]
* Every single HeroicSacrifice counts as one:
** [[spoiler:Josef holds off a boulder trap so Firion, Maria, and Guy can escape.]]
** [[spoiler:Minwu gives his life to unseal the ultimate magic, Ultima.]]
** [[spoiler:Ricard Highwind holds off the Emperor, having ''risen from Hell'', while the others escape on the Wyvern. '''He stands against the ruler of Hell without any hesitation.''']]
* The [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtt9PUZWKiY opening FMV]] from the ''Origins'' remake deserves a mention.
* Despite starting off as a DirtyCoward, what is Gordon's response to learning that [[spoiler:the real Princess Hilda]] is being held as a prize for the Emperor's tournament? [[TookALevelInBadass He promptly volunteers himself for the rescue mission]], and even leads [[spoiler:Hilda]] to safety ''all by himself''.