* Emperor Mateus in ''VideoGame/FinalFantasyII''. When you finally face the BigBad on his throne room, the boss fight is depressingly easy. A good party ends up killing him rather quickly. Then the Dark Knight steps forward, and you think that the Emperor was a TrickBoss, and that Dark Knight was the ManBehindTheMan. [[spoiler:But then the Emperor reappears on his throne, in a new [[OneWingedAngel monstrous]] form. Turns out that he died and went to Hell... and then ''took it over!'']]
** [[spoiler: Then, of course, the party scores a collective moment when the literally go to Hell and back to beat the Emperor.]]
* In the GBA and PSP remake, [[spoiler:all the dead party members go to Heaven, and beat the light half of the Emperor! (Yup, the Emperor is so bad that even his GOOD side was evil!)]]
** [[spoiler: Minwu and the other fallen heroes also get one when they refuse to be persuaded by the "reformed" Emperor and [[WhoWantsToLiveForever refuse his offer of immortality.]]]]
* Also, Minwu getting Ultima, ''period.'' The one dedicated White Mage in the game finally gaining access to the ultimate White Magic? That he sacrificed his life to unseal for the heroes? And surviving (well, [[DeadToBeginWith sort of...]]) unsealing it a second time before having to battle freakin' ''Ultima Weapon'' to prove his worthiness to wield it? Suffice to say, there's a reason he's an EnsembleDarkhorse (and being able to use it on the Light Emperor can be an epic moment of player catharsis).
* When Josef [[spoiler:sacrifices himself so that the rest of the party can escape after defeating Borghen]].
* The [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtt9PUZWKiY opening FMV]] from the ''Origins'' remake deserves a mention.