* It's easy to miss, but Phoney is the one who [[spoiler: takes charge and saves the Red Dragon by cutting his ropes in volume 4!]]
** The events beforehand qualify for [[spoiler:the Red Dragon himself. Given his status as a Trickster Mentor, it's not entirely out of his character to get himself into a situation just to teach Phoney a lesson.Not only that, but if the townspeople hadn't gone out to 'slay the dragon' they would have all been killed in the Rat Creature attack on the village. By allowing himself to be captured, he saved dozens of lives]].
* In the climax of Old Man's Cave, [[BigDamnHeroes Fone Bone saving Thorn from being possessed by the Locust]] by putting on the Dragon Necklace on her amidst the mountain exploding around them.
** Earlier, he attempted to protect Thorn from her initial abduction by Roque Ja, picking up her sword after she fell unconscious. He doesn't succeed, but that doesn't stop him from following after the mountain lion after he regains consciousness to rescue Thorn and Phoney.
* Smiley Bone riding on Bartleby and charging into the Hooded One ''[[BigDamnHeroes just in time to save Fone Bone and Thorn!]]''
** Before that? Fone Bone ''chucks a ROCK at The Hooded One in the FACE'' then challenges them to ''a one-on-one'', despite being armed with only a club-sized stick and at a far weaker fighting advantage, all to protect his friend/crush:
-->'''Fone Bone''': You know what? I have just about ''had'' it with you. First you messed with my cousin. Now you're messin' with my girl! Let's go -- '''RIGHT NOW!'''
* The various other multiple occasions of Fone Bone's quick thinking in a pinch. From outwitting the [[ThoseTwoGuys Two Stupid Rat Creatures]] to save himself or others from them many times, leading the group of Smiley, Bartleby, the animal orphans, Miz Possum's kids, and the Two Stupid Rat Creatures to escape Kingdok on the mountains, sneaking past enemy armies by hiding underneath Bartleby ''twice'' to name a few, but the biggest has to be [[spoiler: when he touches the Crown of Horns and ultimately defeats the Locust. After it initially fails by touching it on his own, since it turns out Thorn removed the piece he had and Thorn is unable to return it in time with a hoard of Rat Creatures closing in, he tries again this time holding Thorn's hand (serving as a conductor between the Crown of Horns to the Locust pieces in Thorn) and static electricity. It works.]] He's more than earned that commemorative statue in Atheia!
* The little girl Taneal accidentally provokes a soldier by building a prayer stone in his field of view. The soldier destroys the stone and knocks her to the side. Thorn overhears this and swoops down.
-->'''Soldier:''' Get away, rat! I warned you-- Hey!\\
'''Thorn:''' (grabs his wrist) That was too rough for a child.\\
'''Soldier:''' You-- You're her! [[spoiler:The dragon princess]]! When [[GeneralRipper Tarsil]] finds you, you're DEAD, girl!\\
'''Thorn:''' You don't scare me.
** ...and then she THROWS the guy. He's a big, burly warrior type, whilst Thorn's a girl of normal build. She lifts him so fast -- with ONE ARM -- his body's horizontal in the air.
* [[spoiler:After they are arrested by Tarsil's men, Thorn is in the midst of suffering both from HeroicBSOD from her and Fone Bone ending up in the dungeon as well as bouts of pain from the Locust beginning to emerge. What snaps her out of it and has her rip apart iron bars of their cell? ''Hearing her grandmother was last seen being overwhelmed by the enemy.'']]
* At the end of the Dragonslayer arc, Thorn appears on the mountain where the entire village has gathered after falling for Phoney's latest scam and in a BigDamnHeroes moment, she saves Phoney from the increasingly angry mob, rescues the dragon, and reveals to the townspeople that [[spoiler:the Rat Creature army is destroying their town while they're out being idiots]]. She becomes consistently awesome later, but that's the point where she embraces her heroic destiny and turns her from the lovable farmgirl into the badass heroine she is at the story's end.
* A crowning moment for Lucius would be when he berates the Barralhaven's regulars for falling for Phoney's Mystery Cow scam;
-->'''Jonathan Oaks:''' They tried to make ''fools'' outta us!
-->'''Lucius:''' You made fools outta ''yerselves!'' You let this fast-talkin' ''squirt'' trick ya into bettin' on a ''cow that didn't even exist!'' ''Isn't'' that what happened, Phoney?
-->'''Phoney:''' Yeah, yeah. That's it. We don't need to ''dwell'' on it.
-->'''Lucius:''' ''(Grabbing Smiley)'' You let yerselves be talked into bettin' yer ''life's savings'' on ''this'' idiot dressed in a ''cow suit!''
-->'''Smiley:''' Is it me, or is it getting ''stuffy'' in here?
-->'''Lucius:''' But I ''warned'' ya! I told ya you were bein' played for a buncha ''saps,'' but ya didn't listen to ''me,'' did ja? Huh? Did Ja? That's ''right!'' An when Gran'ma Ben ''won'' that race, ''I'' was th' only one who ''bet'' on her! Me an' Gran'ma coulda ''split'' that pot, but ''nooooo...'' We felt ''sorry'' for ya! ''All'' bets were ''off'' an' we let ya have yer livestock ''back!'' All told, ''I'd'' say you girls got off pretty ''easy!''
** And, when that fails...
-->'''"BACK OFF OR I START SWINGIN'!!!!!"'''
* Wendell later has an awesome moment when he realizes that he and the other villagers are as much to blame for the current situation as Phoney is, and actually gets into a fistfight with Euclid to defend Phoney, whom Euclid is scapegoating. The given reason: "While Thorn is gone, I'M ENFORCING HER ORDERS!"
* '''Smiley Bone''': Phonicible P. Bone, you are going to support your cousin no matter what decision he makes because you love him.
** And Phoney ''finally shuts his trap''. Doubles as a CrowningMomentOfHeartwarming.
* You have to admit that when Phoney flees from the Hooded One and leaves Gran'ma Ben alone, you can't help but feel contempt. [[spoiler:Then, he comes back with reinforcements and is fully prepared to join the battle himself.]] For a guy who always looks out for himself and sometimes his cousins, you have to admit that this is a very redeeming moment.
** Also, Phoney does scam people a lot, but his leadership skills lead to many come-from-behind victories. The only time he does this in a situation that doesn't involve a scam is the [[spoiler:aforementioned battle]].
** ''Phoney'' is the one who figures out where the Crown of Horns is. There's no treasure map, no message from the spirits, just pure logic. When Phoney insists to Fone at the end that despite him [[spoiler: missing the battle]], he's still a hero, you honestly can't help but agree. It couldn't have been done without him.
** Nor Smiley. Remember him fooling around with static electricity in ''Ghost Circles''? [[spoiler: Fone Bone uses static electricity to touch the Crown of Horns and save the day.]] It looks like Taneal has two more statues to make.
* Smiley Bone's plan to feed the captured Rat Creatures well, then let them escape, to let the enemy think they have enough supplies to fight off an extended siege is not only brilliant, but it's a [[TruthInTelevision tactic that's actually worked in real life]]! It never came up again in the final battle, but it did help lead to the two stupid Rat Creatures managing to work out a peaceful coexistence with the humans in the end.
* The very end when [[spoiler:Phoney is sure that he and his (unknowing) cousins will escape the Valley with all the treasure, only for it to be revealed that [[OutGambitted Smiley and (at least) Ben already figured out his scheme and switched the treasure for Smiley's]] TrademarkFavouriteFood. What makes it especially awesome is that it really seemed like Phoney was going to become a KarmaHoudini, only for this to happen]].
* Lucius' unintentional [[spoiler:sacrifice]] during the final battle. [[spoiler: He didn't know he was going to die in the process, but he gave his all to protect Rose from Briar just long enough for Fone Bone and Thorn to touch the Crown of Horns and kill the Locust. It's a shame Lucius was caught in the blast, but if he hadn't done so, Briar could've finished Rose off just before she went herself.]]