[[caption-width-right:220:Anna and Marnie]]
'''''When Marnie Was There''''' , ('''''Omoide no Marnie, "Marnie of My Memories" ''''', 2014)''''
The 22nd anime film produced by Studio Ghibli, written and directed by Hiromasa Yonebayashi, and based on the novel "When Marnie Was There" by Joan G. Robinson. It was released on July 19, 2014.
Anna is an introverted, alienated, and artistic IllGirl from Sapporo. Sent to a rural seaside village for her health, she becomes fascinated by a large manor house looming on a nearby point. Investigating, she finds it abandoned. But the second time she visits the house is full of life and light, and home to a blonde girl named Marnie, who Anna has been seeing in her dreams. The two bond and start to open up to each other, until the day Anna visits and finds a new family has bought the house and there is a new girl in Marnie's window. This girl, Sayaka, startles Anna by asking if ''she'' is the Marnie who wrote the old diary she'd just found in her room. [[spoiler: It's over 70 years old but it recounts Marnie and Anna's adventures just as Anna remembers them]]. Anna and Sayaka decide that to get to the bottom of this mystery they have to learn all they can about Marnie and hopefully find the diary's missing pages. In the process Anna will learn her own place in the world and perhaps make her first real friend, for the courage she gained opening up to Marnie may allow Anna to open up to Sayaka too.
* DefinitelyJustACold: Anna falls unconscious a few times in the movie, but refuses to acknowledge she has a problem.
* TheFerryMan: Alluded to. The first time Anna visits the manor house she found herself stranded on the other side of the bay after the tide came in. A silent fisherman finds her and brings her back to the village.
* FosterKid: Marnie's governess abuses her when her parents aren't around. [[spoiler: Anna fears Yoriko only adopted her for the money.]]
* GhostlyGoals: Marnie
* IllGirl: Anna, though she works her way up to PluckyGirl by the end
* InnocentBlueEyes: Anna and Marnie. This is significant, as blue is a very exotic eye color in Japan and Anna's blue eyes do not go unnoticed, which just feeds her sense of isolation.
* LongLostRelative: [[spoiler: Marnie is Anna's grandmother.]]
* LoveLetterLunacy: Parental love version: Anna's isolation and depression began when she found a hidden letter to her mother that rocked her whole world.
* TimeTravel [=/=] LivingMemory: Both seem possible in the beginning and [[spoiler: the difference matters in the end]].
* ParentalAbandonment: Marnie's parents are present, but often leave her with an abusive governess; Anna's abandonment issues stem from several traumatic early childhood incidents.
* TomboyAndGirlyGirl: Anna and Marnie appear to be an introverted tomboy and an extroverted girly girl.
* WriteBackToTheFuture: [[spoiler:Marnie's diary]] in effect though not in intent.