[[caption-width-right:331:Yes, she's [[RuleOfCute actually a cat.]]]]
''Anime/WataNoKuniHoshi'' (''Star Of Cottonland'') is a 1978 shoujo manga and 1984 anime film.
Chibi-Neko is ''not'' a [[CatGirl human girl with cat ears and a tail]]. She's a normal kitten, but she wants to be human and imagines herself as such. She is never shown as a cat, only as a toddler girl with long beautiful hair and a frilly dress. And cat ears and a tail.
The story is about her [[ImTakingHerHomeWithMe adoption into a human family]] and her struggles with her [[ComingOfAgeStory identity as a cat]]. If you don't want anything that deep, it's also a RidiculouslyCuteCritter story. Think of ChisSweetHome with a big dollop of surreality.
!!It contains examples of:
* CatGirl: this series is credited with popularizing the CatGirl type.
* CramSchool: Tokio failed his university entrance exams.
* [[CrazyCatLady Crazy Cat Man]]: The neighbourhood Cat Maniac sits on the fence between this and KindheartedCatLover. [[spoiler:On the creepy side, he roams the streets with a net for catching cats. On the nicer side, he takes them home to pamper and care for them in his [[GildedCage luxurious apartment]]]].
* EekAMouse: Chibi-Neko gives a ''present'' to Fumiko with predictable results.
* ImTakingHerHomeWithMe: Chibi-Neko's effect on Tokio, and his literal reaction to finding her in the street.
* SpiritAdvisor: Raphael.
* ThrowingOffTheDisability: [[spoiler:Fumiko is said to have an "allergy" to cats, but it seems more like a cat phobia. She forces herself to interact with Chibi-Neko in hopes of conquering her fear.]]