''Ray: The Animation'' is a 2006 sci-fi and drama anime based on a manga by Yoshitomi Akhihito. It is a spin-off of the anime series ''Manga/BlackJack'', but the story stands on its own.
The series tells the story of Ray (or [[SpellMyNameWithAnS Rei]]) Kasugano, a girl that begot unnatural eyes with which she can see through objects and bodies, after her original ones were stolen by an evil organization in the organ business. She now works as a doctor, putting her special ability to use. Together with her business partner Shinoyama and the rest of the hospital staff, she tries to cure patients suffering from various bizarre illnesses whilst unraveling more about the mysterious organization that had kept her imprisoned during her childhood.
Source: [[http://myanimelist.net/anime/919/Ray_the_Animation [=MyAnimeList=]]]
This anime provides examples of:
* ActionGirl: Ray, One, all of the nurses in the first episode. Even Red Ribbon isn't afraid of some legwork, as evidenced by the last few episodes.
* AuthorityEqualsAsskicking: Sawa
* BigDamnHeroes: Director Sawa and the nurses in the 11th episode.
* BodyHorror: As expected in a series with a hospital setting.
* ChekhovsGunman: A rather extreme example; Black Jack only appears in the first and the last episode.
* CursedWithAwesome: Played with. While not a curse, director Sawa uses his physical disability (his peg leg) as a pivoting point for his particularly powerful HurricaneKick.
* DynamicEntry: Director Sawa in the eleventh episode.
* EarlyBirdCameo: Black Jack
* EvilGenius: The H-ring man.
* GoodIsNotNice: Ray can be quite blunt to Shinoyama at first...
** DefrostingIceQueen: ...but she warms up to him eventually.
* GreenEyedMonster: The series seems to love this trope, which leads to...
** MurderTheHypotenuse: [[spoiler:But One, Koichi and Red Ribbon are all unsuccessful.]]
* HeterosexualLifePartners: Ray and Red Ribbon. [[spoiler:Actually subverted.]]
* KnifeNut: One
* LawyerFriendlyCameo: In the manga, Black Jack was never clearly seen and only called "B.J.". The anime was made by Tezuka's studio, and so this isn't necessary - Black Jack appears fully, is called by name, and we even see the beach house.
* NinjaPirateZombieRobot: Director Sawa is a doctor with an eyepatch and a peg leg whose martial arts skills will send you flying.
* NotSoDifferent: In the second episode, Ray accuses both Shinoyama and Sawa of toying with lives.
** Happens again the finale where [[spoiler:Ray points out that Koichi is just as obsessive as the H-ring man he killed the episode before.]]
* OnlyKnownByTheirNickname: The children in the white room, and the H-ring man.
* ParentalIncest: Played with in a rather complicated way (see TheReveal). At least one character points out the awkwardness.
* PsychopathicManchild: [[spoiler:The H-ring man]]
* RedemptionEqualsDeath: [[spoiler:Koichi]]
* TheReveal: [[spoiler:Rei is a clone of the H-ring man's deceased mother, and Koichi is a clone of the man himself.]]
* UnluckyChildhoodFriend: [[spoiler:Koichi is a rare villainous example.]]
* UnwantedHarem: Shinoyama has one.
* VillainousBreakdown: [[spoiler:Koichi, complete with RedemptionEqualsDeath.]]
** [[spoiler:Subverted with One, whose overall attitude doesn't really change after she gets called a failure.]]
* WhatHappenedToTheMouse: Subverted. Kenji disappears from the screen in the second half of the series, but makes a re-appearance in the final episode.