Miu Nomura loves to play the piano, which she has done since she was a little girl. Once she grows into a teenager, she has to deal with all kinds of new feelings, most of which are triggered by her upperclassman Takahashi, for whom she harbors a deep crush. She is way too shy and introverted though to approach him, but she gets help from Yuuki, who is her best friend by far. Yuuki is a sporty and outgoing girl who is on the same school track team as Takahashi and her ''own'' crush, Takizawa.
''Piano: The Melody of a Young Girl's Heart'', consisting of 10 episodes which aired in 2002, deals with Miu's [[ComingOfAgeStory development into a young woman]]. It mainly depicts her struggle with her inability to show her emotions, which even starts affecting her piano-playing. Through up and downs in her relationships with her piano teacher, her family and her friends, she finds out what her music and the people around her mean to her.
In short, [[SliceOfLife it is the story of a young girl growing up and finding her goal in life]].
* AnimeHair: Miu's hair style is a tad odd.
* AnimeThemeSong: An appropriate lovely piano piece by AyakoKawasumi--who is also Miu's voice actress.
* ButNowIMustGo: [[spoiler:Shirakawa-sensei]].
* GenkiGirl: Yuuki, sort of.
* HappilyMarried: Miu's parents.
* IdiosyncraticEpisodeNaming: The episodes names are musical terms, starting with "con", indicating how something has to be played.
* LeftHanging: The viewer never finds out how [[spoiler:Miu's piano recital went]], let alone what happens after it.
* LockedOutOfTheLoop: Miu apparently knows nothing about [[spoiler:her sister's past with her piano teacher]].
* MacGuffin: Miu's self-composed piano piece, which the viewer [[spoiler:never gets to hear in the end]].
* OneeSama: Akiko, Miu's older sister.
* TeenDrama: The mild variety.
* TomboyAndGirlyGirl: Yuuki and Miu