''Makeruna Makendo'' is an anime OVA from 1995 based on a [[KendoRage video game]] of the same name. It's about Mai, a Monster Hunter who has grown cynical and tired of her job, and her younger sister Hikari, an energetic if somewhat dense muggle who is very enthusiastic when she finds out about this monster hunting business. Together, TheyFightCrime!
!!This anime provides examples of:
* AnIcePerson: Chukan
* AnimeHair: Chukan's is multicolored.
* AnimeOfTheGame: Which would explain its brevity and InMediasRes aspects.
* BadassNormal: Hikari is a skilled martial artist even before she becomes a MagicalGirl.
* BlondesAreEvil: Shou is a villain and the only blonde in the show.
** Mai's attitude towards monster-fighting at the start of the OVA.
** When Dolo first tries to hire him as a Monster Hunter, Makenka says it's someone else's problem.
* ByThePowerOfGreyskull: "Ma-ken-do!" for Mai; "Mairiyagalan Makendo!" for Hikari, which she has [[AwesomeButImpractical extreme difficulty pronouncing]]. In the end, Dolo has to write it out on a big sign for her, [[PlayedForLaughs in the middle of a battle no less]].
* CallingYourAttacks: "Kendo Ho!"
* EvilLaugh: The Shou/Chukan/Dinosaur mecha gets a pretty silly one.
* FuroScene: The sisters get one, although not [[IncestSubtext like that]].
* FusionDance: Shou, Chukan, and Dinosaur merge into a HumongousMecha at one point.
* GoneHorriblyRight: Dr. Mud successfully turns Makenka into a superpowered cyborg... who immediately rejects him, nearly kills him, and then runs away.
* IdiotHair: Hikari, as befits her personality.
* IJustWantToBeNormal: Mai, though she's less whiny and more matter-of-fact about it than most. Makenka is a much more angsty example.
* JumpedAtTheCall: Hikari is very eager to become a MagicalGirl.
* KnightInSourArmor: Mai describes her job as "you have to fight something weird in ridiculous clothes."
* LovelyAngels: Mai and Hikari
* MadScientist: Dr. Mud. His true form is even a disembodied brain, for crying out loud.
* MagicalGirl: With a kendo theme.
* TheMentor: Dolo serves as the girls' boss and mentor, cajoling Mai into doing her job and teaching Hikari the ropes.
* NoOneCouldSurviveThat: Makenka assumes that he killed Dr. Mud, not knowing that Mud is a brain-monster inhabiting a humanoid shell.
* PervertRevengeMode: Hikari mistakes Dolo for a pervert and unleashes this on him.
* PrehensileHair: Shou can turn hers into long sharp spikes.
* TransformationSequence: A pretty standard SailorMoon-style one.
* TransformationTrinket: Mai's elephant wand and Hikari's striped wand.
* WhatHaveIBecome: Makenka's reaction upon being cyborg-ified.