[[caption-width:443: Hell, just the logo is winking to longtime Sonic fans...]]
After such a long SequelGap, we now have a [[SonicTheHedgehog sidescrolling Sonic game that's the first numbered sequel to Sonic 3.]] The rest? [[SugarWiki/AndTheFandomRejoiced Goes without saying.]]
* Reasons: [[PolygonCeiling 2D]], [[LoadsAndLoadsOfCharacters Sonic only]] for Episode 1, hints of Tails and Knuckles for Episode 2, direct sequel to ''[[VideoGame/Sonic3AndKnuckles Sonic 3 & Knuckles]]'', being co-developed by Dimps and the original senior level designer for ''[[VideoGame/Sonic3AndKnuckles Sonic 3 & Knuckles]]'', [[http://www.tssznews.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Super-Sonic.jpg playable Super Sonic in all levels]], and Sega actually ''responding'' to complaints about a leaked beta version by retooling the game and removing what was shaping up to be a ScrappyMechanic.
* The confirmation that Episode II is completely reworking the physics in response to the complaints about Episode I. Also the confirmation that Episode II will have Tails as a playable character in 2-Player mode.
* [[http://www.tssznews.com/2012/02/14/first-screenshots-for-sonic-4-episode-ii-released/ New screenshots have been released!]]
* Online Co-op for Episode 2 confirmed!
* "Lock-On" between Episodes 1 and 2 confirmed. Connecting the Episodes together unlocks a bonus Episode called "Episode Metal", allowing you to play as [[TheRival Metal Sonic]] in 4 exclusive levels - Specifically, the Episode 1 levels, with updated level designs and physics engine!
* Judging by the fact that Episode 1 had VideoGame/SonicTheHedgehog's special stage and Episode 2 had VideoGame/SonicTheHedgehog2's special stage, fans are now rejoicing that episode 3 will probably have [[VideoGame/Sonic3AndKnuckles Blue Sphere.]]