Right Hand Attack Dog YKTTW Discussion
|Right Hand Attack Dog|
Just tried to send this but it disappeared, so apologies for the possible double post. This is a contrast to the Right-Hand Cat, in which the villain's pet plays a more active role- as a guard/weapon against the heroes. Expect Fluffy the Terrible in terms of naming and for the villain to be a confirmed Fluffy Tamer. Typically, villains will either show a Nightmare Fetishist streak and be oblivious to how savage their pets are, and will treat them kindly, or else, they will use the pets to Kick the Dog. Finally, as the title suggests, when the creature in question isn't a fantasy animal, it's very likely to be some kind of canine. Examples:
- While not a villain (despite most adaptations making him one), Hades is probably the trope originator, having the three-headed dog Cerberus guarding the underworld.
- In Batman: The Animated Series, Joker and Harley had a pack of savage hyenas which Harley would cuddle with.
- In Avatar: The Last Airbender, King Bumi was introduced pretending to be a villain (he was actually a Trickster Mentor of sorts), and his pet "Flopsie" seemed to be one of these.
- In Fullmetal Alchemist, Father's lair is guarded by chimera (the monstrous animal variety).
- In The Simpsons, Mr. Burns has a pack of hounds which he likes to release on those who disturb him at home.
- Possibly Jabba the Hutt's Sarlaac in Star Wars
- Voldemort's gigantic pet snake, Nagini in the Harry Potter books. She also has a non-combat function as her venom helped to keep him alive prior to getting his full power back.
- Oddly combined with Right-Hand Cat in The Great Mouse Detective, as the villain, Ratigan, has a pet cat larger than himself to which he fees hapless mice.