Just tried to send this but it disappeared, so apologies for the possible double post.
This is a contrast to the Right-Hand Cat
, in which the villain's pet plays a more active role- as a guard/weapon against the heroes. Expect Fluffy the Terrible
in terms of naming and for the villain to be a confirmed Fluffy Tamer
. Typically, villains will either show a Nightmare Fetishist
streak and be oblivious to how savage their pets are, and will treat them kindly, or else, they will use the pets to Kick the Dog
. Finally, as the title suggests, when the creature in question isn't a fantasy animal, it's very likely to be some kind of canine.
- While not a villain (despite most adaptations making him one), Hades is probably the trope originator, having the three-headed dog Cerberus guarding the underworld.
- In Batman: The Animated Series, Joker and Harley had a pack of savage hyenas which Harley would cuddle with.
- In Avatar: The Last Airbender , King Bumi was introduced pretending to be a villain (he was actually a Trickster Mentor of sorts), and his pet "Flopsie" seemed to be one of these.
- In Fullmetal Alchemist, Father's lair is guarded by chimera (the monstrous animal variety).
- In The Simpsons, Mr. Burns has a pack of hounds which he likes to release on those who disturb him at home.
- Possibly Jabba the Hutt's Sarlaac in Star Wars
- Voldemort's gigantic pet snake, Nagini in the Harry Potter books. She also has a non-combat function as her venom helped to keep him alive prior to getting his full power back.
- Oddly combined with Right-Hand Cat in The Great Mouse Detective, as the villain, Ratigan, has a pet cat larger than himself to which he fees hapless mice.