The Gross-out Girl YKTTW Discussion
|The Gross-out Girl|
When a gross-out joke/humor is magnified through a female character, or designed for a female character.
Once in a while you'll see a gross-out joke or humor in a manner where it either will only work if, or it is enhanced through the fact a character is a girl. For example one side of this would be something as simple as a girl defying societal standards for female etiquette/hygiene/manners, like not shaving or coming off as grungy or just being downright weird. These are all things that might seem par for the course for male characters or at very least not surprising. However when female characters do so, the results are both gross and funny. Somewhat represented by The Lad-ette, only in this case it's just for the sake of the gross-out humor, rather than being a side effect of The Ladette's masculinity. More or less the idea of this lies in the concept of writers using sexual irony for humor. I just have yet to see anything exactly matching this. The closest thing I've seen, as mentioned, is The Lad-ette. However, there are numerous times when a given character isn't a butch lesbian while still being fodder for "That's weird." and "Ewww!" jokes. Additionally I must point out that this could also qualify as just being a girl who happens to be The Pigpen. I suppose there's some crossing over, but considering it's so infrequent for females to take on the role, it could be unique enough.
Examples:Anime and Manga
- If you're familiar with Panty & Stocking With Garterbelt, you know they employ stuff like this pretty frequently. Over the course of the series, the two main characters, despite being adorable anime girls, end up covered in fecal matter, fighting vomit monsters, picking their noses non-stop, and partaking in other unsavory jokes.
- Pretty much done every other episode with Liz Lemon in 30 Rock. Many of the jokes made at her expense, like eating food off the floor or having a lady mustache, wouldn't be half as funny if her character were male.
- The Foul Bachelorette Frog internet meme is pretty much based entirely on this concept.
- In one episode of The Powerpuff Girls, the running gag is Buttercup refuses to take a bath. Over the course of the episode, she gets dirtier from fighting various monsters basically designed to cover her in filth. By the end of the episode, she smells so bad that she ends up kicked out of town until she takes a bath.
- Kappa Mikey's Mitsuki, despite being The Nice Girl, has this played on her in a few situations where the other characters in the show are shown to be nauseated when she eats her favorite hard candy, which is Eel & Lemon Flavored.
- Cute, little earthbender Toph Bei Fong in Avatar: The Last Airbender is often employed for this role, as she frequently spits, hacks loogies, and jokingly pretends to have hairy armpits in one episode.