Joe Clark is a bad man. And we mean that in the best possible way, as in "don't fuck with him." When Paterson, New Jersey's Eastside High School found itself on the brink of being taken over by the state due to piss poor test scores, Clark was brought on board as principal to right the sinking ship.Lean On Me is a movie Very Loosely Based on a True Story, about a tough new school principal who brings a new level of order to an otherwise chaotic school.
- Angry Black Man: Joe Clark and those who try to stand up to him.
- Darker and Edgier: Than most inspirational teacher movies. A teacher gets murdered in front of a crowded lunch room in the very first scene and it goes from there. Things do improve though.
- Good Is Not Nice: It REALLY isn't.
- Hey Its That Guy!: Morgan Freeman
- Lynne Thigpen appears in this film as Leona Barrett a few short years before her popular stint as The Chief on Where in the World is Carmen San Diego?
- High School: In case you couldn't tell from the beginning.
- Joisey: Parts of the film were filmed in New Jersey and it's even set there.
- Large Ham: Joe Clark, as portrayed by Morgan Freeman.
- N-Word Privileges: Clark calling himself the HNIC, and another person at a meeting clarifying it stands for "head nigga in charge."
- Police Are Useless: They don't do much when the school is in chaos but they do arrest Joe, who protects the school from gangs and drug dealers by locking up the school.
- Precision F-Strike: See above.
- Title Drop: They sing the damn title (which is based a real song.)
- Token Minority: The Mayor, who is white.
- Also, a part where Clark points out the few white students in the school during an assembly.
- Sassy Black Woman: Leona Barrett
- Very Loosely Based on a True Story: And how! See above cited Cracked article.
(I have yet to watch the movie; have only seen various clips from it; input from those more familiar with it would be helpful.)
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.