discussion, we thought it might be appropriate to expand and split Big Breasts, Big Deal
into more generalized tropes.
A character who is attractive, aware of their effect on other people, but doesn't care or at least doesn't value their physical attractiveness over their other traits.
Often this character is a consummate professional who is well aware of the fact that they could
use their "assets" to get what they want by other means, but feels that it would be unprofessional or beneath their dignity, and is instead focused on proving they can compete purely on skill, often to the exclusion of romantic opportunities. While they're not averse to dressing in sexy outfits, they don't plan on relying on or even exploiting their sex appeal - but the camera will often do that for them.
Other characters' indifference is not due to regarding relying on appearance to be beneath their dignity, but rather that they consider it to be unimportant. Typical examples might include a shapeshifter who considers their beauty to be a momentary state and thus unimportant, or a character that has a highly nontraditional outlook, such a Troubled, but Cute
character or a Cloudcuckoolander
who is socially functional enough to realize their own attractiveness, but does not care enough to take advantage of it or feel embarassed.
[[folder:Anime & Manga]]
- Haruka from Basquash! is considered incredibly attractive because of her large breasts but she doesn't particularly care about her figure since she's more interested in feet.
- In Seikon No Qwaser just about every girl is Sasha's classroom is entranced by his cuteness but he's also very stoic and just wants to be left alone most of the time so he doesn't care.
- Kagari from Witch Craft Works is considered the most beautiful person in her school, she even has her own fanclub. However, due to her aloof personality and her devotion to the male protagonist, Takamiya, she's apathetic towards admiration she gets.
- Before joining the Red Lantern Corps Bleez from Green Lantern was a princess considered to be the most beautiful woman in seven systems. She had countless suitors but rejected them all since they were only interested in her beauty and she felt she was more than that.
[[folder: Film -- Animated ]]
- Odette from The Swan Princess initially rejects Derek when he can't come up with any reason to love her other than she's beautiful.
- Hello, Nurse! from Wakko's Wish wants to use the wishing star to make it so that people start seeing her from her genius intellect and not just her looks.
[[folder:Film - Live Action]]
- In It's a Wonderful Life, Violet subverts this trope, because while she claims to be indifferent, it's just an act.
Violet: Good afternoon, Mr. Bailey.
George: Hello, Violet. Hey, you look good, that's some dress you got on there.
Violet: This old thing? Why, I only wear it when I don't care how I look.
- Sarleena from Men In Black II is a plant-like alien who shape-shifts into a lingerie model. She doesn't care about her appearance though, she only took that form because she stumbled upon a discarded magazine with a Victoria Secrets ad, and she's unimpressed with just how much stock humans place in physical appearance.
- Jane Austen's Emma: Emma is very beautiful, but she really doesn't care about it. She takes pride in being clever, intelligent and capable.
[[folder:Live Action TV]]
- Cameron from House is insulted when House reveals that he hired her because of her good looks, despite her graduating med school at the top of her class. He quickly elaborates on this: with her looks, Cameron didn't have to work as hard as she did to get where she was, but did anyway, and that was why he hired her.
- In the The Office Charles Miner, after Angela and Kelly start flirting with him, notes on the Confession Cam that he's aware that women tend to find him attractive but he doesn't make an opinion on the matter.
[[folder: Video Games]]
- Yue Ying from Dynasty Warriors is exceptionally beautiful but spreads rumors that she's ugly so she could find a husband who would want her for her wisdom and not just her beauty.
- In Max Overacts Becky gets angry at Klaus for saying he likes her because she's pretty instead mentioning her intellect.
- Lance from Sym-BionicTitan gets fangirls from his first day of highschool due to his handsomeness and moody demeanor. He finds all the attention annoying since he wants to keep a low profiles, but no matter what he does to distance himself from the rest of the students he finds himself becoming more popular.