Created By: Kinkajou on November 19, 2009
How Did We Miss This One?? Launching in two hours. Last call for examples / clarifications / input. Mecha are cool. Some animals are pretty awesome. But what if we combine both? Animal Mecha are, simply put, mecha built in the shape of animals. They are usually modeled after creatures considered Badass, especially Dinosaurs, predatory beasts, and birds of prey. There are two subtypes of Animal Mecha:
- The first and older type involves otherwise machine-type mecha to be shaped like animals. Spider Tanks are a particular subtrope.
- The second and newer type involves sentient, alive creatures as Humongous Mecha. Related to Mechanical Lifeforms.
Examples of the first type:
- Science Ninja Team Gatchaman's Galactor fielded bird mecha as Monsters of the Week.
- GoLion / Voltron consists of five lion-based mecha, each forming a single body part.
- Super Sentai obviously followed suit, with Choujuu Sentai Liveman being the first installment to feature Animal Mecha.
- Spider Tanks.
- Megas XLR parodies the concept, as well as paying homage.
- The Gunmen.
- A raptor robot from Rugrats.
Some examples of the second type:
- Arguably, Zoids.
- Of course, Super Sentai (which by then was already being adapted into Power Rangers) got into the act too, with Seijuu Sentai Gingaman / Power Rangers Lost Galaxy and Hyakujuu Sentai Gaoranger / Power Rangers Wild Force being prominent examples.
- Dinobots in Transformers.
- Beast Wars.
- Mechagodzilla and Mechani-Kong.
Unsorted (feel free to classify)
- GaoGaiGar's lion.
- The Eldran franchise.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.