A brawl breaks out between customers in a store over items that are in limited supply.
In comedic works, this is likely due to a big sale offering great deals, or due to an item that absolutely everyone simply has to have for Christmas. In more serious situations, it can be the result of mobs desperate to hoard survival materials before an impending disaster. It can also show up in advertisements, where customers are so eager to get their hands on the advertised product that they'll fight each other over it.
This can sadly be Truth in Television
, as there have been cases of people dying or being injured at large sales events such as Black Friday.
- In the Eureka Seven episode Vivid Bit, Hilda gets into a massive brawl in a store having a sale.
- The entire plot of Ben-To is hot-blooded fights over half-priced bento.
- In Shin-chan, Mitzy often finds herself beating the crap out of other women just to get her hands on anything on sale. One time, it was over bulk-packaged eggs. Most of them ended up smashed on the ground during the chaos.
- Misty from the Pokémon anime fights over an item of clothing with a larger woman while in Celadon City.
- Gorsky and Butch featured one started by a Lobo expy.
- This Garfield has triple-coupon day at the supermarket leading to the shoppers racing each other with their carts.
- The French novel Au Bonheur des Dames features one deliberately engineered by the store's owner" by piling up various cheap items to nearly block the front door, the shrunken entrance makes it look like people are clamoring to get inside, which only attracts more people to see what the fuss is all about. On one big opening day it nearly sparks a riot until the police intervene, which of course causes more people to come in.
- In Life As We Knew It, when everyone is stocking up for The End of the World as We Know It, Miranda uses a shopping cart to attack a woman who is trying to steal a food item from Mrs. Nesbitt.
- On Friends, Monica tries to save money for her wedding by getting her dress from an outlet warehouse. Lots of women show up and when the doors open it's a pretty aggressive situation. Monica, Rachel, and Phoebe bring whistles so they can find each other.
- In a Christmas episode of The Jack Benny Show, a mob of housewives is shown in a store with merchandise (clothing) flying everywhere. Jack crawls out from beneath them and makes sarcastic commentary on holiday shopping.
- On Lie to Me, the B-Plot for "Black Friday" involves the team trying to figure out what caused a fight to break out in front of a store.
- The Golden Girls had a scene talking about this once, with Dorothy making it sound like everyone else was doing the pushing and pulling and hitting, and then she says she still got what she was after.
- In an episode of Bones the Victim of the Week was a Bridezilla, and Booth & Bones go to the bridal shop where she bought her dress when they happen to be having their one-day-a-year sale. Wedding dresses all over the place and future brides fighting over them.
- One episode of How I Met Your Mother referred to a particular shoe sale as a "feeding frenzy." A flashback shows women literally fighting over the shoes, and upon losing a pair Lily tells the other women that "she'd made the list, bitch."
- In The Simpsons episode Grift of the Magi, there was a riot thrown by customers desperate to get the new toy "Funzo". The marketing executives responsible watched the footage, laughing, in a hot tub.
- An episode of Dexter's Laboratory revolved around Dexter's Mom fighting another mother over an item on sale.
- One episode of the 1999 Woody Woodpecker series had him and Wally Walrus fighting over the last action figure in the store for their respective nephews (and niece, in Woody's case). They end up breaking it, but there's a new must have toy the kids want anyway.