- Anakin: When I got to them, we got into aggressive negotiations.'Padme: Aggressive negotiations? What's that?Anakin: Ah, well, it's negotiations with a lightsaber."What? You attack him? During parlay? This is the third time you've killed someone during negotiations!"
ExamplesAnime and Manga
- In Code Geass, Lelouch pulls one of these at the UFN meeting.
- And then unintentionally with Euphemia
- In Mahou Sensei Negima, Negi and Fate almost invoke this, over whether or not tea or coffee is better. This happens later anyways.
- Danzo was going to do this in Naruto, but was interrupted by Sasuke busting in.
- The title characters in the Knights Of The Dinner Table have had their PCs do this at least once, while parleying with some orcs. Both Sara and B.A. Felton were not pleased by this.
- In At World's End, this is played with. One pirate shoots another for questioning the pirate code. However, nothing really major happens- the dead pirate was a nobody, and none of the assembled pirates really want a fight to break out at their meeting.
- In the movie Three Hundred, in the famous This is Sparta scene, Leonidas is essentially doing this. The Athenians reportedly did it as well. Say it with me, everybody:
Messenger: This is blasphemy! This is madness!Leonidas: Madness? This! Is! Sparta!
- Based on a Real Life example, where when Xerxes' messenger demands earth and water as tributes, the Spartans tell them to "dig them out themselves." Athenians did the same. Sparta shoved them into a well, Athens of a cliff.
- In The Fifth Element Korban Dallas negotiates by shooting the leader of the Mangalores.
- Inferred to have happened in Gladiator, as the Roman negotiator is returned headless by the barbarians.
- In the Lord Of The Rings films, Aragorn answers the Mouth Of Sauron's demands by beheading him. In the books, he is merely sent off in a rage.
- In The Phantom Menace, the Trade Federation does this to the Jedi. They escape, however.
- In Contact Harvest, a nervous Grunt attacks a marine during a diplomatic meeting and starts the entire Human-Covenant war.
- In one of the Myth Adventures books, Skeeve is parleying with the head of the opposing army when suddenly he realises the opposing army has been moving into position to attack him while he's distracted by the peace talk. He complains that this is a breach of protocol, and is informed that yes, it is, but it also works extremely well.
- The beginning of the new Battlestar Galactica
- This also happened in the beginning of the original (1970's) Battlestar Galactica. Count Baltar arranged a peace treaty between the 12 Colonies and the Cylons. The Colonies sent all 12 Battlestars to the conference, leaving the Colonies completely undefended. The Cylons carried out a massive attack on both the Battlestars and the colonies, almost completely wiping out both.
- In one episode of Star Trek The Next Generation a mediator beams down to a planet which has been at war for hundreds of years with his interpreters (he's a deaf-mute). One of the Mooks on one side is against peace talks and kills the interpreters.
- In the King Arthur myth, his final battle with Mordred started this way. Neither side trusted the other, and brought plenty of heavily armed soldiers along to the negotiations. The fighting started when one soldier, bitten by an asp, drew his sword to kill it. Both sides had been warned to expect treachery, and responded immediately. Due to the confusion and disorganization, both sides were essentially wiped out.
- In the DM Of The Rings, the unnamed DM becomes rather upset at the heroes for killing Saruman, Grima, and the Mouth of Sauron in parley. As continued from the above quote-
Aragorn: Yeah, let's speed this up. *Kills the Mouth Of SauronDM: What? You attack him? During parlay? This is the third time you've killed someone during negotiations!Legolas: And they keep falling for it! It's hilarious!DM: You're supposed to be a king! Can't you at least pretend to be one for a few seconds?Aragorn: If I hadn't shot him Legolas would have.Legolas: He's right, too. I was just about to announce my attack.
Hello, Unkown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.
Three days must pass before this YKTTW is Launchworthy or Discardable