Sam Winchester: I never said that!
Dean Winchester: You're always saying pansy stuff like that.A common form of Misaimed Fandom in which certain brooding and/or introspective characters are assumed to be emo simply for being stoic and introspective, even without sufficient evidence in the story. Misinterpreting a character as supposedly being emo based on solely him or her being introspective and/or brooding without lacking any canonical evidence and/or Word of God statements that their personalities are intended to be as such can easily lead to a fandom berserk button. This can frequently occur due to people nitpicking about very selective traits they dislike in certain characters. See Emo for the official definition of emo rather than the reactions of "I dislike this character because he thinks too much" or "This character sucks because he's too emotional" as described in this article. If a character is canonically made to be Emo retroactively, then that would be Flanderization
— from Seris/Supernatural who are Sensitive Guy and Manly Man respectively.
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Many characters in Anime and Manga frequently fall victim to this, mostly in the western world, due to the fact that brooding and introspection is not regarded as positively outside of Japan.
- Clare, is a Kuudere, but some of moping about her Dark and Troubled Past causes her to get this treatment.
- Shinji Ikari has a large hatedom due in large part to his frequent wangst. The claims of him being Emo could be justified depending on whether or not he could be proven to have Avoidant Personality Disorder or some other psychological order.
- Dante from Dm C: Devil May Cry has been perceived by detractors of the Ninja Theory produced game as being emo. Though arguably this version of Dante was intended to be more like a British Rocker and/or Punk than emo. The character's smoking habit and moments of hotbloodedness did not help.
- Iori Yagami and K' are both frequently mistaken as this by some fans. The latter gets some of this treatment in-universe in The King of Fighters XIII in pre-fight dialogs to his annoyance despite having proven his fighting skills in the past.
- Vincent was never intended to be Emo in the original game, though recent games and other media related to Final Fantasty VII have made him emo retroactively. Though in contrast to many other examples on this page, it has only made him more popular rather than less so.
- Samas Aran, depending what characterization she has in a specific game, gets this kind of reception from fans, especially if she has prolonged moments of reflection of her tragic losses.
- Shadow the Hedgehog for some members of the Sonic fanbase is either regarded as one of the most badass characters in the series, or an emo who gets undeserving praise.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.