Mutual Big Bads YKTTW Discussion
|Mutual Big Bads|
Two characters are each other\'s villain
Alice is the biggest Jerk Ass Bob knows. Bob is the biggest Jerk Ass Alice knows. The audience can see the Jerk Ass in both, and the entertainment comes from watching these two go head-to-head. Supertrope to Evil vs. Evil and Headbutting Heroes
- From Calvin and Hobbes, we have Calvin and Rosalyn; this trope sums up their relationship. He sees her as the Babysitter from Hell; she's trying to avoid becoming the Badly Battered Baby Sitter.
- In Farscape, the Peacekeepers and the Scarrans want to wipe each other out, and are also both obsessed with capturing John Crichton and/or developing wormhole technology to make weapons. The main characters, especially Crichton, frequently play both sides against each other in the 4th season.
- Code Geass has Lelouch Lamperouge and Suzaku Kururugi. The former is a Broken Ace who masquerades as a freedom fighter and masterminds a resistance movement to pursue a personal vendetta and make the world safer for his little sister Nunally, while the latter is a Wide-Eyed Idealist who chose to side with The Empire so he could change the system from the inside. They are in conflict, both directly and by proxy, for most of both seasons.
- Pretty much defines the relationship between Shizuo and Izaya from Durarara!!.
- USA vs. USSR. Led to the formation of the Third World (nations aligned with neither side).
- I Am Legend is a dark discovery of this trope.
- The Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series ends with this realization, followed by the power of Not So Different.
- Don Salieri and Don Morello in Mafia: The City of Lost Haven.
- Archie and Maxie from Pokémon take this to its logical extreme: each is the other's Big Bad. Archie wants to use Kyogre for expanding the seas, while Maxie wants to take Groudon and expand the land. In Ruby and Sapphire, one is "good" and the other is "evil" (depending on which version you play) whereas in Emerald both of them are evil.
- Benjamin Linus and Charles Widmore from Lost.