Singer Namedrop is when an artist or a band interweaves their name into the lyrics of one of their songs. Dropping one's name is a way to make listeners remember who sang the song. This can take a form of either simply saying the name (regardless of context), indicating that the song is about him or her, or introducing him or herself, usually in the hook. Compare Creator Cameo and Title Drop. Related to "Special subcategory of bands named after one of their own songs" in Good Name For A Rock Band. Virtually present in a Boastful Rap. Sometimes evokes Third-Person Person.
- Lady Gaga uses the word "gaga" often in her songs, like "Bad Romance" and "Judas". An example from "Bad Romance":
Rah-rah-ah-ah-ah-ah!/Roma-roma-mamaa!'Ga-ga''-ooh-la-la!Want your bad romance.
Gaga, ga oh-ahGaga, ga oh-oh-ohIo ritorne, io ritorne.Io ritorne, io ritorne.
- In the song "Government Hooker:
- In Rihanna's "Umbrella" featuring Jay-Z:
Jay, Rain Man is back with little Ms. SunshineRihanna where you at?
- Roxette does this in "Dance Away" and "Joyride".
- The mention of "Denny Mclaren" in Don Mclean's cover version of "The Mountains of Mourne" is this, with a bit of stretching to fit the song's metre; in the original lyrics, it's "Peter O'Loughlin".
- Metallica and Megadeth each have one. Metallica's in 'Whiplash'
We'll never stopWe'll never quitCos we're Metallica
- Megadeth's is in 'Rattlehead': "Thrashing to Megadeth".
- The Low Millions take this up a notch with their song "Low Millions".
- Freddie Mercury does it in Queen song Crazy Little Thing Called Love and in his solo song Mr. Bad Guy. All four Queen members are mentioned in Invisible Man.
- Chaka Khan's hit "I Feel for You" included a backup rapper who repeated her name dozens of times.
- Jet - "Are You Gonna Be My Girl" inserted the band's name as a word in a sentence, emphasizing it while singing:
Big black bootslong brown hairShe's so sweet with herJet black stare!
- Counting Crows do this in A Murder of One:
Well, I dreamt I saw you walkingUp a hillside in the snowCasting shadows on the winter skyAs you stood there, counting crows.
- In "Piano Man" by Billy Joel:
Bill, I believe this is killing me. / As his smile ran away from his face...
- In "The Girl is Mine" duet with Michael Jackson and Paul McCartney, spoken lines include:
Paul: "Michael, we're not going to fight about this"
Michael: "Paul, I think I told you. I'm a lover not a fighter."
- A few They Might Be Giants examples: "Sapphire Bullets of Pure Love," "Welcome To The Jungle" (Name's the Same as the Guns N' Roses song, but completely different otherwise), and "They Got Lost" all namedrop members of the band. The band in its entirety is name dropped in "They Got Lost" and, naturally, "They Might Be Giants."
This is Dan, and that's DanAnd there's Marty on the drumsTo complete the bandAnd I'm John, and he is also JohnAnd all of us are wonderingWhen you're gonna die
- From "When Will You Die":
- Jessie J drops her name in the hook of "Do It Like A Dude", in the second verse of "Nobody's Perfect", and uses her first name in "Who's Laughing's Now".
- The (infamous) opening "It's Britney, bitch!" in Britney Spear's "Gimme More".
- The rapper's repeated "Shakira, Shakira" in Shakira's "Hips Don't Lie".
- In "Hey Paula" by Paul and Paula, the singers address each other by name.
- P!nk does this, in "Cuz I Can"
P.I.N.K. P.I.M.P.I'm back againI know y'all missed me
- Liz Phair, "Rock Me":
Your record collection don't existYou don't even know who Liz Phair is.
- MTRKRFT's "Bounce" uses the group's name twice in the beginning.
- At the top of Ma Rainey's "Black Bottom," an announcer-type says, "You've heard the rest, now I'm gonna show you the best. Ma Rainey's gonna show you her Black Bottom." Also, during the song itself Ma references herself by name a time or two.
- Jimi Hendrix, "Fire"
Move over Rover / And let Jimi take over
- Tony Sheridan with backup by The Beatles in his cover version of "Sweet Georgia Brown."
In Liverpool, she even dared / To criticise the Beatles' hair / With their whole fan club stnding there
- Coheed and Cambira's "Elf Tower New Mexico" has the line "See, there's Coheed, and then Cambria...", and their old name "Shabutie" is said in the beginning of "Devil in Jersey City".
- Doctor Steel drops his name into his songs "Dr. Steel" and "The Dr. Steel Show".
- In Band Aid's "Do they Know It's Christmas?" Sting gets a line about "the bitter sting of tears."
- Wolfgang Gartners Get 'em ft Eve contains both "Wolfgang" and "E-v-e" (spelt out).
- One of Fall Out Boy's songs is called "I Slept With Someone In Fall Out Boy And All I Got Was This Stupid Song Written About Me". The title is never actually sung though.
- Kant Kino 's song "We Are Kant Kino".
- "Rapper's Delight" by the Sugarhill Gang. Almost every verse ends with the rapper calling upon the next one by name to do his verse.
- The Chicago Bears "Superbowl Shuffle:"
We are the Bears Shufflin' Crew / Shufflin' on down, doin' it for you
- And each verse's first line is "My name is X" or "They call me Y" or similar as the individual players do their part.
- Parodied in Homestar Runner with the song Rap Song.
Tenerance Love : My name is Tenerance Love, plus my name is Tenerance Love, minus my name is Tenerance Love equals my name is Tenerance Looove, remainder threeee!
- On The Simpsons when Bart joins a Boy Band named Party Posse, their first song goes:
We're Party Posse, we rule the earth / The Greatest band since music's birth
- Arthur, "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll." After Francine starts a rock band called U Stink, Arthur, George, and Buster start a band called "We Stink". The only verse of their only song that we hear is:
Our name's We Stink / We like to play Rock and Roll
- Folk singer Eric Bogle introduces himself in song at the start of his concerts. One version goes:
My name is Eric, some folk call me Eck,If you're feeling formal, Mr Bogle will do,But to my friends it's Eric, and I hope that means you.
- Green Day has a song called "Green Day" on its debut album.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.
Three days must pass before this YKTTW is Launchworthy or Discardable