Alice is reading the newspaper, and she's looking at the horoscope section. She finds her sign, and reads something so unbelievable horrifying that she will resort to doing anything or everything to prevent it from coming true. She has just been the victim of a Horrorscope. Sometimes, her efforts of preventing the horoscope from coming true will result in it coming true anyway. But more often, she'll just end up making a fool of herself in her desperate attempts to prevent her horoscope from coming true, only to find that she would have had the same results if she had just done nothing at all.
open/close all folders
- Alexander Tagere's horoscope in Arcia Chronicles predicted that he would die within hours after his birth. He didn't, but it got worse from then on for him.
- In one of the Dirk Gently books it is mentioned in passing about a horoscopist enemy of Dirk's who writes purposely bad stuff in Dirk's daily horoscope - too bad for the twelfth of the world who share Dirk's birth sign.
- In a sketch on Monty Python's Flying Circus, a pair of Pepperpots read the daily horoscope; Scorpio is, "You will have lunch with a schoolfriend of Duane Eddy's, who will insist on whistling some of Duane's greatest instrumental hits. In the afternoon you will die, you will be buried..."
- About half of the entries in "Weird Al" Yankovic's "Your Horoscope For Today" are this, played for laughs. The other half are bizarre instructions.
- Calvin and Hobbes had a story arc involving horoscopes. While the first horoscope he read, "Many of your key policies will be implemented" wasn't bad (even though it didn't come true), his second one, "Opposite sex finds you irresistible" was very much a Horrorscope. (That one didn't come true either.)
- The Trope Name comes from Cartoon Planet, where Zorak's Horrorscopes was one of the sketches, and they were basically portents of doom regardless of what sign you were under.
- The Simpsons: In Treehouse of Horror XI - G-G-Ghost D-D-Dad, Homer had a horoscope saying he would die that day. Not only that, Marge's horoscope said her husband would die that day as well.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.