Designated Parents YKTTW Discussion
When there is a group of friends all the same age, generally there is the couple in the group who act as the adults, sorta the parents of the group. Together they are like the SuperEgo of the gang and are actually recognized as the "Mom" and "Dad" of their friends.
- Marshall and Lily from How I Met Your Mother to the point that they question Ted's new girlfriends to see if they are right for him. In the few times where Marshall and Lily don't fill this role, it's usually taken up by Robin and Ted.
- Eric and Donna from That 70s Show were noted in an episode where the gang were dining and ditching a restaurant to be the parents of the group.
- *Franky and Robin from One Piece act as the parents of the Straw Hats
- Joe and Sora from Digimon Adventure
- Piper and Leo from Charmed Started to fulfill these roles after they got married and prue died.
- Ross and Monica, though brother and sister, act as the grownups on Friends in earlier seasons. Later, Ross becomes more childlike, Chandler and Monica get married, and they become the adults of the group.
- A rare (and somewhat arguable) example of this trope existing in a Power Trio is that of Terra and Aqua in ~Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep~. They are as every bit parents to the few years-younger Ventus as they are his surrogate siblings. While Aqua is the Team Mom from the get-go, Terra doesn't start to act as the Team Dad until he enters the Knight in Sour Armor phase of his antiheroic character progression about halfway through the game. And yes, Papa Wolf and Mama Bear moments abound in this game. Moral of the story: you do not antagonize, harm, or even IMPLY that anything has happened to Ven.
- In Community, Jeff and Britta serve as the mom & dad of the study group. Repeatedly Lampshaded and Played for Laughs in the show's typical Better Than a Bare Bulb fashion.
- Nate and Sophie in Leverage.
- In Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle, Fai accurately identifies himself and Kurogane as the "mommy" and "daddy" of the group.