Music Player Game YKTTW Discussion
|Music Player Game|
A game with levels procedurally generated from music tracks
An indie game type rising in popularity lately. Very similar to Rhythm Games in that every level is a music track, it is nonetheless different. A Rhythm Game is a specific genre, with tracks already charted beforehand. A Music Player Game can be of any genre, but the levels are generated on the fly from the music you feed it, typically the more intensive and loud the music, the more action you are going to see. A very common thing in these games is an online scoreboard, with every song having its own - the most popular tracks, obviously, offering the strongest competition.
- Audiosurf, the game that started the lately craze as well as made online scoreboards for each song - a Match Three game with some karting elements thrown in. Being sold on Steam also helped.
- Beat Hazard: a Bullet Hell / seizure simulator where the aggressiveness of enemies and the strength of your weapon depend on the song.
- 1...2...3...Kick It! (Drop That Beat Like An Ugly Baby) is AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity but with level generation.
- Dance Factory is a Dance Dance Revolution clone with automatic charting.
- Space Invaders Infinity Gene has a game mode where it reads off any music you have stored in your system and generates a stage out of it.
- Rhythm Zone
- The Polynomial: Space of the Music