Bad Answer; Bad Times
The content of an interrogee\'s reply determines whether they will be administered... retribution
Clone!Doythaban: If you were in my shoes, would you trust you not to make a beeline for the nearest security guard?
Captive F'sherl: Is this another one of those questions where one of the answers goes "blam"?
Clone!Doythaban: Actually, I think several of your possible answers make that noise.One character interrogates another about something, and they warn that, depending on the answer, violence may ensue. Often, they're asking about the motive for a seemingly-heinous act before they decide whether brutal punishment is deserved ("Why did you punch my mother?"). Sometimes, it's a form of Throwing Down the Gauntlet when the interrogated has dropped a snide insult en passant ("What did you just call my mother?"). Compare with Jack Bauer Interrogation Technique, when violence does ensue, often due to a lack of answers.
ExamplesAnime and Manga
- Jojos Bizarre Adventure. Joseph Joestar, Blood Knight and Guile Hero, does that very often, to the point that it's a catch phrase of his: "WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY? Depending on your answer, I may have to kick your ass!"
- Samurai Flamenco's Flamenger Blue demands answers of the Prime Minister in this fashion.
- World War Hulk had this as a recurring theme. Since people wouldn't let the Hulk make himself comfortable for interrogation without a fight, this point tended to be moot. Especially notable when the Hulk went to ask Professor Xavier about his role in his forced exile, and, after hearing the answer, decided not to kick his ass.
- Taxi Driver's "Talking To Me" monologue is him doing a very one-sided version of this, where the answer is made irrelevant.
- Pulp Fiction. Jules will ask you questions. He won't take "What?" for an answer.
- The Dark Knight. Batman doesn't like the Joker's answers as to where his hostages are. The Joker is not impressed with the threat, but complies save for one vital detail.
- Monty Python's Flying Circus Cheese Shop sketch. A customer repeatedly asks whether a cheese shop has specific types of cheese and is told by the owner each time that it doesn't. He's getting rather frustrated.
Customer: Tell me something, do you have any cheese at all?Owner: Yes, sir.Customer: Now I'm going to ask you that question once more, and if you say "no" I'm going to shoot you through the head. Now, do you have any cheese at all?
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.