SerialNumbersFiledOff In Everything But Name YKTTW Discussion
|In Everything But Name|
"It isn't like System Shock 2. It is System Shock 2.Or as another possible name "With The Serial Numbers Filed Off" The inversion of In Name Only, when a Follow the Leader seems to be almost exactly like the leader, just with "the serial numbers filed off" (a somewhat common nickname for this trope). The blatant copying of characters and plot is on a level that would make even makers of The Mockbuster blush. Sometimes this can be by the very creators of the source work, perhaps as a form of applying Captain Ersatz to an entire series. Compare Mission Pack Sequel, when a follow-up is almost just like the first game. But to avoid Natter, let's limit this to examples of accusations or confessions in media.
- The creator of Wonder Boy left Sega, but somehow got away with remaking the game with Hudson, under the name Adventure Island.
- The website Jabootu states that the Jaws knock-off Grizzly is this, complete with mock captions that have alternate ways to rip off lines from Jaws.
- Several sites accuse Eragon of being a blatant Star Wars rip-off, although aside from the Dragon Riders being similar to Jedi, the plot itself isn't really new (The Hidden Fortress, for one).
- And of course the Zero Punctuation review of Bioshock, claiming it's exactly like System Shock 2.
- Many licensed video games get accused of being ripoffs of hit original games in reviews, but a lot of reviewers forgave the game of Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law for being a blatant clone of the Ace Attorney games, given Capcom developed both games.