Do We Have This? I'd be surprised if we didn't, but I couldn't find anything on it, so I decided to put it out there. --- On one end of the spectrum, we have the Hollywood Tone-Deaf and Dreadful Musicians. A Marvelous Melodist, on the other hand, is a character who has an amazing singing voice, often surprising or moving anyone who hears. The character may be an Idol Singer, but doesn't have to be. Because having a beautiful singing voice is associated with the Princess Classic and Purity Sue archtypes, some people avoid this trope. However, having a good singing voice does not automatically make a Mary Sue. It does often suggest that the character is pure of heart, but not always. This is the usual cause of Love at First Note. See also: Singing Dissonance, Non-Singing Voice and Love at First Note. Contrast Hollywood Tone-Deaf, Dreadful Musician and Cute but Cacophonic. As this is a subjective trope, examples should be limited to characters who are noted as being particularly good singers by other characters.
Anime & Manga
- Sakaki from Azumanga Daioh amazes her friends when she sings at the karaoke bar.
- Karyoubinga is considered one of the most beautiful singers in the world in RG Veda and is a Too Good for This Sinful Earth Ill Girl who meets her end via Kill the Cutie early on in the plot.
- Sleeping Beauty, of course. It was one of the gifts given by the fairies, and she is absolutely The Ingenue.
- Ariel from The Little Mermaid. Ursula wanted to steal her voice for this reason.
- Thumbelina, whose singing voice attracts people to her before they even see her sometimes.
- Princess Fiona from Shrek, in a parody of the Disney Princesses.
- Rapunzel in Tangled.
- Irene Adler Norton is this, both in the Sherlock Holmes canon and in Carole Nelson Douglas' series of novels featuring her.
- Rapunzel in her titular fairy tale.
- The guard captain in I Shall Wear Midnight.
- Agnes Nit, especially in Maskerade.
Live Action TV
- Doctor Who Xmas 2010 AD the Christmas Carol expy: the actress playing the heroine is an opera singer in real life.
- In-Universe, Ood song is beautiful.
- Babylon 5: Pakmara song is beautiful according to Vir.
- Christine in The Phantom of the Opera.
- Soo from The Sooty Show.
- Kate Alen of F-Zero is a megastar pop diva known for her soulful vocals, as well as her powerful dance moves.
- Subverted with Manuela Hidalgo in Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles. She really does have a lovely singing voice, but her singing causes Krauser to chastise her, as it'll bring attention to the group.
- Luna from Lunar: The Silver Star is known for extraordinary singing voice in her village.
- It is heavily implied that Sweetie Belle's special talent is singing. She also manages to be Cute but Cacophonic when she sings a rather... powerful version of Fluttershy's lullaby.
- In the third generation of My Little Pony, Starsong is the pony with a talent for singing.
- Both the Chipmunks and the Chipettes are world-wide sensations due to their singing in Alvin and the Chipmunks.
- Mikey Blumburg from Recess.
- Of all people, the goddamn Batman is shown to have this in the Justice League Unlimited episode "This Little Piggy".
- Ned Flanders in The Simpsons. So beautiful that Bart thought it was the siren song the Manipulative Bitch he had a crush on.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.